Franklin Peirce PA program and Springfield College

Guest dmc

Does anyone know anything about these programs? Wondering how hard they are to get into. I reside in VT and have read online that FP gives preference to VT and NH residents. Is this true? I am also interested in Springfield college but it I have heard that they accept very few students entering at the grad level? Is this true?

Thanks!

Springfield isnt caspa. Very Few outsiders come into springfields program, Its best to start out as a freshman there.

I went to Keene Which wasnt far from Franklin Pierce, From what I understand their program just started and I do not believe FPC has any other medical programs. While I'm sure it is fine, but I know I'd want to goto a school that was a little bit more established or has had other medical programs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am currently in the PA program at FP and I really like it. Although it is a new program is i have been very impressed with everything so far. Our program director comes from both MASS pharm and UNE's program...so she has a lot of experience with running successful PA programs already. A lot of our faculty teaches at all of these schools and we also have a lot of dartmouth faculty as well. This is a really great program and you should check it out! There is an open house april 21..RSVP to it..603 298 6617. Also, FP does have other medical programs such as a doctorate in PT and nursing. They do give preference to NH and VT residents. With that being said, they also accept out of staters as well. I think about a third of us are from out state and have absolutely no affiliation with this area at all (myself included). If you have any questions feel free to ask!

• 1 month later...
Guest *PA*hopeful

Workmanj, I am very interested in FPU's PA program living and working within a ten minute drive from their West Leb site, plus their mission, staff and use of DMS facilities are very attractive as well. Any insight on what you did that made you a prime candidate for their program?? I'm hoping to do all I can and realize I will still have to beat the odds to get in. I am applying for the Nov 2011 start date, (so not this year). I have need to take some prerequisites and shadow. Otherwise, I hope they will recognize my personal attributes and strong desire for this profession. Do you feel that the curriculum is preparing you well for the field?

• 10 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for all who graduated from Franklin Pierce PA program or got accepted. I learned the interviews are tough and students are going to write essays --on what? I have been invited for an interview and i am scared as anything you can think of. Although NH and VT residents are highly favored I am hoping I can beat the odds. Any inside scoop on what i should expect? I need your help for after all the rejection letters, this is something I can't play with.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your opinions. Thanks

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_QuickEdit", "1999", 'VisitorMessage'); //--> </SCRIPT>

Baypath college is starting a new program - hired away a very good professor from springfield (I think that is where she was at) to be the department head

check out http://www.baypath.edu/GraduateProgram/GraduateDegrees/MSPhysicianAssistant.aspx

Home > Graduate Programs > Graduate Degrees > Physician Assistant Studies

Physician Assistant Studies

For questions, concerns or more information contact:

Jennifer Hixon, D.H.Sc., P.A.-C

Professor and Program Director of the Physician Assistant Program

E-mail: jhixon@baypath.edu

Phone: 413.565.1206 or 800.782.7284 ext. 1206

Meet Dr. Jennifer Hixon

Jennifer Hixon began her career as a PA in 1985 with the completion of the Hahnemann University (Philadelphia, PA) Physician Assistant Program. Her clinical practice in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine led her to become the medical provider for the United States field hockey team: this resulted in many international tours and ultimately the Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea.

After moving back home to Massachusetts, Dr. Hixon became a faculty member and program director at the Springfield College Physician Assistant Program, for eight of her 11 years at Springfield College. Because of her interest in leadership, she was elected by her colleagues as Vice President of the Faculty Senate. She also served as the President of the Massachusetts Association of Physician Assistants, and served as the Continuing Medical Education chairperson and served as the House of Delegates representative on the Board of Directors.

Dr. Hixon completed a Master of Science in Industrial Psychology from Springfield College (Springfield, MA) and a Doctorate of Health Sciences from Nova Southeastern University (Ft. Lauderdale, FL). She has been a local, regional and national speaker in the area of orthopedics, leadership, and the Physician Assistant Profession. Since 2000, she has served as a site reviewer for the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant.

Most recently, Dr. Hixon was the Dean and Associate Professor of the Physician Assistant Program at the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

Accreditation

The College has currently applied for provisional accreditation by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Provisional accreditation is the status awarded to new programs that meet the rigorous standards established by the ARC-PA. Provisional accreditation is expected prior to the matriculation of the first class in June 2012

Baypath college is starting a new program - hired away a very good professor from springfield (I think that is where she was at) to be the department head

check out http://www.baypath.edu/GraduateProgram/GraduateDegrees/MSPhysicianAssistant.aspx

Home > Graduate Programs > Graduate Degrees > Physician Assistant Studies

Physician Assistant Studies

For questions, concerns or more information contact:

Jennifer Hixon, D.H.Sc., P.A.-C

Professor and Program Director of the Physician Assistant Program

E-mail: jhixon@baypath.edu

Phone: 413.565.1206 or 800.782.7284 ext. 1206

Meet Dr. Jennifer Hixon

Jennifer Hixon began her career as a PA in 1985 with the completion of the Hahnemann University (Philadelphia, PA) Physician Assistant Program. Her clinical practice in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine led her to become the medical provider for the United States field hockey team: this resulted in many international tours and ultimately the Olympic Games in Seoul, Korea.

After moving back home to Massachusetts, Dr. Hixon became a faculty member and program director at the Springfield College Physician Assistant Program, for eight of her 11 years at Springfield College. Because of her interest in leadership, she was elected by her colleagues as Vice President of the Faculty Senate. She also served as the President of the Massachusetts Association of Physician Assistants, and served as the Continuing Medical Education chairperson and served as the House of Delegates representative on the Board of Directors.

Dr. Hixon completed a Master of Science in Industrial Psychology from Springfield College (Springfield, MA) and a Doctorate of Health Sciences from Nova Southeastern University (Ft. Lauderdale, FL). She has been a local, regional and national speaker in the area of orthopedics, leadership, and the Physician Assistant Profession. Since 2000, she has served as a site reviewer for the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant.

Most recently, Dr. Hixon was the Dean and Associate Professor of the Physician Assistant Program at the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

Accreditation

The College has currently applied for provisional accreditation by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Provisional accreditation is the status awarded to new programs that meet the rigorous standards established by the ARC-PA. Provisional accreditation is expected prior to the matriculation of the first class in June 2012

Dean Hixon is great. I attend MCPHS and she was my Dean for the 5 months or so I have been here. She has a great personality and she knows what she is doing. Very easy to approach, sarcastic sense of humor, etc. Kind of funny to see my White Coat photo with her and she is gone 4-5 months later, haha.

Archived