What To Major In (Pre-PA)

Guest sunshine6627

Guest sunshine6627

I just started college this year after being away from school for several years post-high school, and I'm trying to decide what to major in. I was hoping I could get some advice here, at least for starters.

My options are as follows:

Biology

Nursing

Some social science like soc, psych, or linguistics

My initial thought was biology, but I'd have to take a bunch of really hard classes that are way beyond the prerequisites for PA programs (math beyond stats, higher level chem, etc.).

Nursing is a really hard major and it seems like kind of a round about way to get to PA. But, at least if I don't get accepted into PA school right after my senior year, which I'm assuming I won't, I'll be able to do my "direct patient care" year right away without wasting time on more school.

And, believe me, as a somewhat older student, I'm very concerned about spending unnecessary time before I go to grad school

The third option is to take a major that doesn't have so many required credits as bio or nursing. Then I could take whatever biology classes I want to, or maybe even get a minor in bio or microbio. Also this would probably free up more of my time and energy for health-related extracurriculars and volunteering.

I'm definitely going to ask my adviser and ask pa school admissions, but I thought I might ask here first.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sunshine..I was a Biology major. However, my main concern is that you wrote

My initial thought was biology, but I'd have to take a bunch of really hard classes that are way beyond the prerequisites for PA programs (math beyond stats, higher level chem, etc.).

Please consider these hard classes as a challenge and a preparation to for PA school. PA school will not be a "walk in the park" and there will be many hard classes. All my classes I took were considered pre-reqs and there was nothing I had to take outside of school except Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology.

I completely agree with akele7. However, you need to be able to take hard science courses and maintain as close to a 4.0 gpa as possible. So if you are not able to do that, then perhaps you should consider another major (perhaps one in the social sciences), but there will still be some difficult science classes for perquisites and your science gpa is the most important gpa. Plus, every school has slightly different science prerequisites so you will need to know which schools you plan on applying to before finishing your degree since you are "concerned about spending unnecessary time before grad school."

On a side note, I am not trying to offend you, but it seems like you want to take the easiest route possible to grad school and if you think a nursing major is hard, how the hell do you expect to do grad school with nearly all science courses. I was a pre-med major (biomedical science), and sure I could had taken something easier, but in my experiences, PA schools have been impressed by all the extra science classes I have taken. I think you need to really think about whether this is what you want to do, and if you decide that you do, then you need to work extremely hard. There is no easy route to PA school. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest sunshine6627

Sorry, I think I came off differently than I mean to. I didn't mean that I didn't want to take hard classes, but I have to find a balance between taking those hard classes and making sure my GPA is really high. Of course I'm going to take lots of hard science classes, but depending on my major, I might have more or less freedom to choose which hard science classes I'm want to take (beyond prerequisites).

If I have more freedom, then, beyond prereqs, I can take the classes that prepare me best for PA school. For instance, instead of being required to take a second semester of physics, I could decide whether I want to do that or take another upper division bio class. Of course ideally I would love to take all the classes available, but I don't want to be an undergrad for another six years... so that's part of the reason this is important to me.

In the college that I'm at, nursing is considered the single most difficult major to keep a decent GPA in, much much more so than biology for instance. Personally I find the nursing classes interesting and I think I would enjoy the challenge, but I do want to take the GPA factor into consideration, especially when I have other good options available.

Does anyone know if PA school's would prefer nursing over bio or vice versa? Is one better preparation for PA school than the other?

I'm certainly not looking for the easiest route, but, again, I do want to be able to take all factors into consideration when making my decision.

I do understand you and support your thinking. I would think the same way as my situation is now. They just didn`t get your idea fully.

p.s. we all should know what is the difference between smart ones and the wise ones: smart ones know how to solve the problem, but the wise ones know how not to create it.

By the way this method of thinking is one of the best methods of preventing and development acute medical conditions of your future clients, because as a medical professional ideally you suppose to prevent ilnesses first and only then, to treat them..

Does anyone know if PA school's would prefer nursing over bio or vice versa? Is one better preparation for PA school than the other?

I mean chances are if you do a nursing degree then they are going to grill you in interview for why you don't want to be a nurse or NP instead if that is what you majored in..

Medical model vs. Nursing model.

I don't think any PA school leans towards nursing majors..yeah its great for HCE but all PA schools are based on the medical model.

I wonder if in the back of their minds, the ADCOMs might think that RNs who might not have taken upper level sciences would be better suited going the NP route...? Just a thought.

I did BioMed Sciences as well with minor in Public Health, meeting every single required AND suggested requisite. I suggest you find a few schools you want to apply to, research their prerequisite lists, and take ALL those classes regardless of major (would be tough to do in a 2 year nursing program.) You could do an EMT training over the summer and work part-time in ER or OP clinic and have more than enough HCE when you apply. Just my $.02

I was a biology major. Of course, I may have done even better had I been a psychology major instead of minor, but I'm glad I had the exerience (even the Organic Chem!)as it's really helping me in PA school. If you're worried about time, maybe a major like Psychology, which is traditionally less credits than Biology, may be good for you and easier to keep an overall GPA, but as the above posters stated, definitely do your prerequisites plus some upper level science classes that can prepare you for PA school. Calculus, while often not required, may not be a bad idea either, as it gets you to really think. I would say do your prereqs first thing while doing your early major classes. It can really save you time. I did my prereqs in my first year of college, then completed my major plus electives in the next two years. If you go in with a goal, you'll find it easier to finish faster. But of course, quality is more important than the quantity...

Be careful about taking prereqs for PA school early because some schools require them to be taken within 5 years. So depending on how long it takes you to get your degree, and how many cycles you have to apply to PA school, some of those early prereqs may expire.

Many of the programs I contacted take the date of graduation from undergrad as the time the clock starts on pre-req's... not the actual date the class was taken. The program should always be contacted to make sure you are on the right path.

Major in something that you will enjoy and that WILL translate into CASH... !!!!

Why...???

Because you may NEVER get into a PA program (sometimes "life" gets in the way)... then you are stuck with a tuition bill for a un-marketable bachelors degree. Many of the degrees that colleges and universities "sell" do not translate into marketable skills. So when you complete them... you really can't do anything that someone will pay you money to do.

I live in a college town... and I know LOTS and LOTS of BS Psych, BS Public Health/BS Bio-Chem (Pre-Med)/BS linguistics /BioMed Sciences/MS Environmental Science degree holders working either at BestBuy or a local restaurant serving vittles...

I mean chances are if you do a nursing degree then they are going to grill you in interview for why you don't want to be a nurse or NP instead if that is what you majored in..

NOPE...!!!

Just about EVERY matriculating class of PA-s, in EVERY program has a handful of nurses. It is and has always been... NOT a ISSUE...!!!

Contrarian I didn't say it was an issue to be a nursing major I just said they chances of them asking you in interview of "Why do you not want to be a nurse instead?" is very high. I've gotten asked many times in my interviews why I didn't want to be a physician since my father is one and I shadowed him a lot.

I never said there were no nurses in PA classes.

It is good you already know what you want to focus on after undergrad, I didn't know that PA school would be my path untill 2 years into my undergrad. With that said major in anything that you want, something that interests you, however, keep in mind that many school require slightly different pre-reqs but all require things like microbiology, Biochem, Organic, inorganic, A&P, etc. The more classes you can take the more competitive you will be. some courses are recommended not required but they can only help you as an applicant and as a future PA-S. Work hard, get good grades, especially in the scienses, and have fun learning. Take a look at the applicant stats on this forum for an idea of what a competitive applicant looks like. Good luck, its a wild ride.

• Administrator

A slight variation to what Contrarian said: There are plenty of bachelor's degrees out there that are just fine for any degree requiring a bachelor's degree, but do very little to give you a leg up in any particular career field. There're a lot of "organizational management" programs, which is essentially just a blue-collar-to-management bridge degree, for example. Those won't magically get you a job or a pay raise, UNLESS your boss/current company is already looking to promote you and the lack of a bachelor's is the only thing that stands in your way.

Guest ReliableNeuron

I suggest majoring in what you're passionate about. I do not suggest majoring in nursing unless you really wanna be a nurse. There are pros&cons to any major. A bio major is helpful because you can fill your electives with some extra courses PA schools might or might not require. You can always find an EMT, CNA, patient care tech, etc to train for. I am a health science major well because I love learning about healthcare systems, bioethics, epidemiology, etc. (not the same for everyschool). It isn't required to have a science degree to get into PA school, just major in what you're interested and complete the necessary preqs. you need.

Nursing is a really hard major and it seems like kind of a round about way to get to PA. But, at least if I don't get accepted into PA school right after my senior year, which I'm assuming I won't, I'll be able to do my "direct patient care" year right away without wasting time on more school.

And, believe me, as a somewhat older student, I'm very concerned about spending unnecessary time before I go to grad school

Hard classes is what is gonna prepare you for PA school. I went to nursing school before PA school. I thought I was busy in nursing school but PA school is so much different. It's a LOT of work. Try imagining a chihuahua(sp) drinking from a fire hose...

Don't take the easy route...

The "tragic" part about this thread is that there are several dozen people on this website that have read this thread who are on their third/fourth iteration of the application cycles (and will NEVER get into a PA program) trying to figure out how they are gonna pay back the $60k-$80k in loans for that useless science based bachelors degree they completed just to try to get into PA school...:(

While at the same time there are several dozen people on this website that have read this thread who are either in a PA program and studying while pulling a few weekend nightshifts a month as Rad Techs, LPNs, Resp Therapists, RNs, etc. to stay afloat and keep the loans to a minimum or working as Rad Techs, LPNs, Resp Therapists, RNs, etc. paying off undergrad loans while trying to get into a PA program...;)

sorry for hijacking the thread but im currently a junior in high school and contrarian said everything that was on my mind

i always try to look at both perspective "what if.." what if u never get into a PA program what are u gonna fall back on? im currently in the nursing program at my school and i just pass my CNA :D another step toward my goal :) i plan to work this summer as CNA if im hired,go into nursing get my bsn, take pre req and all the recommended classes, work as nurse gain HCE and apply to PA school

because just like contrarian said, sometimes life gets in the way and you may never get excepted into PA school

and i think that if for some reason i don't get excepted into PA school, ill probably live happily working as nurse :)

• 2 years later...

I am doing sociology & I do not if I will be accepted or not but I think it will be easier to maintain a high GPA in and it will look well rounded. However, if you go that route, it would relly help to take some "free electives" in sciences like immunology, epidemiology, ect. The other good thing is it will leave time for me to work in the program so I can rack up the HCE as a CNA so I may get in the program quicker. The nursing would be good but it is hard, you can not work while in the program, and generally a little more expensive. Biology or something would also be good but I would try to get a leadership position in a club or volunteer somewhere not HCE like an animal shelter to show you are well rounded. Also, if you go the biology route I would tke some classes like developmental psych and social sciences to look well rounded. Also take an ethics or pharm class which you could do no matter your major. Mostly, just pick which one you think you could do good in and enjoy. The plus for nursing is you have a back up career if you do not get into PA. But for me, I will not be able to do much with a sociology degree so it is my motivation to get straight A's.

Guest hubbardtim48

UND accepts RNs only from 1972-2006. They started to accept other allied health professionals (i.e. RT, AT, OT, PT, MT, etc..).

Take something that you're interested in. You're paying for an education so get one you will like, not one you think will make you look good. Also,there are plenty of PA programs that offer bachelors or associate degrees, so if you want to get in and out of school right away then just take the pre-reqs for those programs and be done with it.

I agree with Contrarian. Major in something useful like nursing. It may be a good idea now to major in some BS major like linguistics but you will cry about it in 4 years when you cannot get a job. You may change your mind about PA school. Lots of things can happen in 4 years. You don't want to be stuck even with a Bio degree, because it gets you nowhere. I could never find a job which used my degree and still make $14 an hr in ER, but at least I am getting experience with that.

Archived