Did you (or anyone you know) get in with minimal HCE?

Was wondering because I REALLY want to apply by this upcoming spring/summer. My stats are decent, so would that help make up for my lack of HCE?

My current stats:

cGPA: 3.9

sGPA: 3.7

GRE: ???? (no idea, haven't taken, but I think I could get a good score)

Right now I'm taking CNA I classes and will be done around the end of December.

I can't possibly work full-time with my school schedule, but I'm planning to hopefully work 15-20 hours/week beginning January 2011. That means by the time I apply, I will have 350-480 hours of HCE.

Was wondering if this would give me a decent chance or if I'm screwed.

Thanks pals. :xD:

the more the better. most programs state their HCE hours requirements on their sites. a few require none (tho still recommended, and there's likely plenty of applicants for them to choose from who do), some more (500-1000), some most (2000-4000 and up). you can also start volunteering in your local ER immediately, for a few hours every weekend. if you really want to practice medicine, no time to start learning like the here and now. plus you'll get a good look around and a better idea of where your interests lie.

Obviously the more the better but it never hurts to apply. I will go ahead and say I was on the low end of HCE before applying to PA school and got in. You should target schools that don't emphasize HCE as those school will value other qualities of the applicant. You have a pretty strong science GPA. Make sure to apply to numerous schools, apply early, and when you get an interview make sure you rock it. Oh and make sure you have a strong personal statement.

I just graduated undergrad in May and I worked part time for a year as a radiologic technologist and I got into a program. I did have prior healthcare experience (that was not hands-on) which might have weighed in my favor too; but it is definitely possible to get in with limited HCE.

Don't get me wrong; the more HCE you have, the better off you are.

Guest cabkrun

Where I am asks for 1000+ hours. Many have more, some less. It's pretty mixed but the program is very organized and very solid.

I got in with just over 3,000 hours as an MA - Internal Med, Rheumatology.

It's very intense and I'm glad there are things that I haven't seen for the first time (charting, etc.) or it'd be even worse.

The better grounded you are before starting, the less you will feel like you are sinking.

JMHO

-skf

P.S.

Iain... LOL!!!

I think there are a couple of people in my program with minimal hands-on experience, but the ones I've talked to about it have mentioned some significant healthcare experience that wasn't direct patient care... like they worked for years in pharma or research. I.E. had entire health-related careers before applying to PA school. On the other end of the spectrum of people with low HCE are those who are straight from undergrad, but they worked all through school and over the summers and at least met the minimums.

I do think very high GPA/GRE helps, but it can't carry you entirely. Better really kill that personal statement and have an excellent reason for wanting to do this. Out of my class, I'd say most of us have multiple thousands of hours of HCE. Every class is probably different, and some schools may be very interested in academics over experience.

My school does not have a HCE requirement but they strongly recommend having it. My class has a mixture of HCE from none to years of experience. I can't speak for those that have little or no HCE but I rely on my experience constantly and don't know how I would be doing without it. I strongly recommend anyone thinking of becoming a PA to get some experience. You may not even like healthcare or caring for patients if you have never tried it. In the end you will be happy you got whatever experience you can get. I was an EMT on a Critical Care transport ambulance and I had a great paramedic and nurse team who taught me so much. Any experience you can get will surely help you in PA school. Its not impossible to do it without but why not help yourself out?

Iain...I hear you. It seems like prospective students are making the rules, and not the other way around. With programs being as competitive as they are, you can't afford to skimp on any of the admission requirements. And the HCE requirement should be looked at as a benefit to the applicant and not just another hurdle to get over.

Archived