How important is the school you go to, really?

I apply in the spring. I'm at that point in the process where I'm narrowing down schools to apply to based on a host of data including: location, cost, program length, unique attributes, clinical rotations etc. As I've been doing all this work, the one resounding question that keeps coming back to me is- does it really matter where you go to school? Is there really THAT big of a difference between an Emory/Iowa/Duke and a Jefferson College of Health Science or PCOM, OHSU etc... I feel like I'm a decent applicant but probably not good enough to get into one of the "elite" programs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, at the end of the day as long as you pass boards and get the "C" at the end of your post-nominals does it really matter? Obviously avoiding brand-new programs or ones that have sketchy accred status is preferable if possible. I don't know... Chime in. Do you think that the school you go to matters all that much? Should I really stress about getting into a "recognizable school" or just apply to schools I like and go where I get in?

I don't know really how important it is, but you have to figure those programs are thought of as elite for a reason. I applied just this cycle, and from what you have said, I am betting we have somewhat similar applications. I felt I was good, but didn't know if I was good enough with all the competition out there. I didn't really reach for any schools. I felt like I had a good shot at getting into all the schools I applied to. After getting some acceptances, I kinda started wishing I had thrown some reach schools in there, but I was just so preoccupied with getting in that I played it safe the whole way. I really like the school that I'm going to now thought so I am happy. I guess I just wish I would have believed in myself a little more in the first place.

As I will only just be attending a program in the spring, I myself think that people get to caught up in what school they go to. At the end of the day, as long as it is an accredited program, I don't believe it really matters where you go. The important things are finding a location, cost, pass rates, etc. that fits you. One day, our future employers won't see us as a PA from "x" school, but a PA that is certified. If you've been accepted to a school already, I think it's important to just go somewhere rather than worrying about where and risk having to wait out longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter.  Pass the PANCE and you're practicing.  That's what counts.  Definitely apply to schools you think you have a chance at; you don't want to have to apply a second round bc you picked 'elite' schools only.  That said, if you've got a little extra money to spend, don't sell yourself short and throw a couple of reach schools in.

I actually think it's more important to pick schools you would be willing to attend.  You don't want to pick schools you think you can get into, get accepted, and then decide you don't really want to spend 2+ years in a certain state or town.  It's a fine balance between casting a net to ensure you get in somewhere but also make sure you will be happy if you only get 1 acceptance, going to that 1 school.

it can make a difference if you want to work in a particular geographical area. for example if you want to work in the bay area of CA it's probably easier to do so as a stanford grad who rotated there than if you went to a program in florida and have no connections to the area. some programs have a bit of wow factor too that may help get a first job if someone is sorting apps, but in the grand scheme of things aside from the geographical advantage of a local program, getting the PA-C is really what matters. I think my prior experience got me most of my interviews and my program's (hahnemann/drexel) reputation as a top program was commented on by the interviewer at the place I ended up working.

Archived