PAs in addictions medicine

you toying with giving up the ER lifestyle?

haha...well, ventana, I'm in surgery (I gave up the ED lifestyle 4 years ago -- I ran screaming for the door!). addictions medicine interests me, but I don't want to just be handing out meds to addicts who don't want to get well, and who lie and then sell/shoot/snort/otherwise misuse whatever you give them....

but I don't want to just be handing out meds to addicts who don't want to get well, and who lie and then sell/shoot/snort/otherwise misuse whatever you give them....

I've been doing Addiction Medicine since 2008. We do Guided Imagery, Motivational Interveiwing, Reiki, CBT, DBT, Accupuncture, and refer to massage.

My SP is boarded in Accupuncture and Addictions so he has taught me both.

I also have a degree concentrated in Psychiatry so I am trained and experienced in short intense CBT/DBT.

Relapse is a recognized, expected part of recovery...

These folks are not well and should be expected to do all the above before they start to improve.

There are ways to mitigate this but it still does happen since addicts are "crafty."

If this bothers you... you should probably stay away from Addiction Medicine.

Medication assisted treatment has its place but is not all there is. Individual and Group therapy is required for sucess and all of our patients are REQUIRED to attend therapy. No therapy no medicction. We check.

We use Buprenorphine, Naltrexone, Antabuse, Clonidine, Fish Oil (Omega3), Multi-Vitamins, and Melatonin.

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a PA student doing addiction medicine in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, especially harddrug abuse like cocaine and heroin.

Its located in the most notorious part of Amsterdam, South-East area

I was working there already for a couple of tears as a nurse and wanted to specialize.

We precribe heroin, methadone and buprenorphine (which is upcoming, at he moment here) and

for some cocaine addicts Modafinil.

Archived