Hi guys i'm new..but after reading somethings on here, i'm really confused.....

Maybe I've been away for too long, but did no one sense trolling in any of this?

I think it's just ignorance about the profession that makes it seem that way. I'm sure a thread will pop up on the allnurses forum soon with the OP wanting to become an NP because med school and now PA school are too hard. They'll probably be wondering if it's a troll as well. ;)

I would agree with a majority of the people that have commented. I have worked as a Paramedic for 10 years and have had the opportunity to work alongside many PAs in a level 1 trauma center. The experience you get from HCE will not only set you apart from the rest of the applicants, it will also help you decide if the profession whether it be PA or NP is right for you. I would encourage you to shadow PAs and NPs in multiple specialties and then sit down and evaluate your decisions. I am curious as to why you are continuing in a radiation therapy program when you no longer want to do this. If you are at all considering the NP route, you may want to look into switching majors to get your ADN or BSN instead. When I started EMT class, I went twice a week in the evenings on top of a normal undergrad course load and working. Afterward, I went full-time in Paramedic school at the same time working full-time as a EMT. Then in undergrad, I worked full-time as a Paramedic while attending undergrad majoring in Biology full-time. You can do it. You just have to stay positive and manage your time. Also, during this, I married my best friend, bought a house, and became a father. So, don't count yourself out. You can knock out HCE while continuing with your undergrad degree. All of this is great but you need to make sure that you want to be a PA. It sorta sounds like you don't actually know what you want to do. I would suggest getting your CNA or EMT certificate and then shadow a bunch of PAs and NPs before rushing into anything. Hope this helps.

Archived