When a school's values coincide with your application: what to do?

I’m in the process of writing my supplemental for a particular PA school. Though I’m very excited to apply, I've always had an interest in their program for some time. However, I'm realizing that during the supplemental application, that some of my medical community service/ volunteer work accomplishments may not be in line with the this particular school's values. (I'd rather not mention specifics unless you'd like to PM me).

I feel this may jeopardize my application process in a major way and I may not be viewed upon as a well-rounded applicant. I’m not sure what do (I’ve already paid my CASPA fee).

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is there a way to cancel the application and obtain a refund? Should I go ahead and send it and hope for a non-biased assessment?

Well...

Can't really say without knowing whether you mean that the schools values do or do not "coincide" ... because if they actually "coincide" with you and your application, then there shouldn't be a problem.

co·in·cide pron.jpg (komacr.giflprime.gifibreve.gifn-simacr.gifdprime.gif) KEY

intr.v.

co·in·cid·ed, co·in·cid·ing, co·in·cides

1. To occupy the same relative position or the same area in space.
  2. To happen at the same time or during the same period.
  3. To correspond exactly; be identical.
  4. To agree exactly, as in opinion; concur. See Synonyms at agree.

I will say that its very unlikely that the school's values/focus/mission has changed recently... which may paint you as someone who hasn't really been "paying attention to detail."

I remember back when I applied (pre-home computer proliferation days) I arrived at one interview and was sitting in the interview, silently thinking to myself... "dude... you should have known that this place was ran by real life... FOR REAL nuns... PRIOR to booking that flight and hotel room."

A week later, I was sitting at another interview in another state and after answering the posed question... one of the interviewers jumped up out of his seat and started "praising the lord," and testifying to the many great gifts of "Christ our lord and savior"...

I recall thinking to myself after both of these instances... "duuuuuude... you blew the pre-raid recon on this."

Anywho... I declined admission to both of those programs as I couldn't see paying the additional fee/cost of tuition for the dogma and rhetoric... and the values of those programs DID NOT "coincide" with my own.

YMMV

Contrarian

I may be off base but if I am understanding you correctly, you want to pay a school THOUSANDS of dollars more for the opportunity to be educated by a program that has different values as you simply because you tossed a hundred bucks at Caspa?

Personally, I'd call that a tuition payment to the school of hard knocks. I can name a half dozen ways I blew a hundred bucks on bad ideas in the past month alone. (lap dances and overpriced booze not withstanding). that was a joke

If you and a program don't see eye to eye, why shove a round peg in a square hole? There are over 140 programs in the US. Find a couple of others that are a better fit for you. You will be less critical, more easy going, have a better time, and you won't be SELLING OUT YOUR VALUES! If an idea or dogma is a true VALUE to you, then you hold true to it. If you are willing to toss aside your beliefs over a hundred dollars then you need to re evaluate what you truly hold dear to yourself.

I may be off base but if I am understanding you correctly, you want to pay a school THOUSANDS of dollars more for the opportunity to be educated by a program that has different values as you simply because you tossed a hundred bucks at Caspa?

Personally, I'd call that a tuition payment to the school of hard knocks. I can name a half dozen ways I blew a hundred bucks on bad ideas in the past month alone. (lap dances and overpriced booze not withstanding). that was a joke

If you and a program don't see eye to eye, why shove a round peg in a square hole? There are over 140 programs in the US. Find a couple of others that are a better fit for you. You will be less critical, more easy going, have a better time, and you won't be SELLING OUT YOUR VALUES! If an idea or dogma is a true VALUE to you, then you hold true to it. If you are willing to toss aside your beliefs over a hundred dollars then you need to re evaluate what you truly hold dear to yourself.

How much are lap dances??? j/k

I'm applying to the program because I would love to get an excellent medical education as a PA. It's not about me AND the program seeing eye-to-eye, but IF the program doesn't recognize my community service as service to the community - all groups of people, in all walks of life for whatever socioeconomic class they belong to, gender preference, if they're for/against abortion, doesn't matter. It's never about me or my belief system, but medicine.

(sorry to rant).

Yeah, sounds great on paper.

But you will HATE your didactic year if your values are so diametrically opposite to those of the school that you're afraid to even *mention* them. Because if the school is so set on these values that they address them in the supplemental, you can bet they are incorporated into every aspect of PA education. Seriously. And you can bet a good chunk of the other applicants are trying to get in there specifically because their values match. Most people want to find a good fit! So you'll end up with classmates who don't get you. And while getting to know people with opposing viewpoints is good, you still need people who share your values too, so your life isn't a lonely pit of despair.

So you'll end up with classmates who don't get you. And while getting to know people with opposing viewpoints is good, you still need people who share your values too, so your life isn't a lonely pit of despair.

Very solid point.

Our class is bonding really well in a very collaborative manner. Sure we have an oddball or two, but every group has them. The trick is to not be one of those oddballs.

lap dances are not expensive...it's tipping the dancer that drains the wallet. So I've heard. :;;D:

If you've already paid the fee, then I would say submit your application mentioning all of your community service and why this was important to you and how it contributes to making you a better person and future medical provider. Unless the school's values are explicitly opposed to yours, your application will probably not be rejected out of hand. Maybe touring the school, going to an open house or getting an interview and spending some time on campus would give you a feel that you could or couldn't see yourself attending the program.

In my undergrad nursing program, I encountered a lot of students and faculty that had different values than my own. It was alienating at first, but slowly people came to appreciate my alternative viewpoints as valid. Academic environments tend to breed respect for diversity.

If you've already paid the fee, then I would say submit your application mentioning all of your community service and why this was important to you and how it contributes to making you a better person and future medical provider. Unless the school's values are explicitly opposed to yours, your application will probably not be rejected out of hand. Maybe touring the school, going to an open house or getting an interview and spending some time on campus would give you a feel that you could or couldn't see yourself attending the program.

In my undergrad nursing program, I encountered a lot of students and faculty that had different values than my own. It was alienating at first, but slowly people came to appreciate my alternative viewpoints as valid. Academic environments tend to breed respect for diversity.

Thanks. Reminds me MANY years ago when I attended a Catholic High School for 2 years (though I wasn't Catholic). I met some great friends and everyone was accepting of others of differing faiths. No one really cared what you practiced or if you were athiest for that matter.

I’m hoping the school will go beyond the finite details and look at the deeper meaning of why I (and I’m sure many other applicants) chose to volunteer/perform community service to certain populations/groups and not “She did what? And also that? And with that population? My goodness gracious. Well, we’ll have none of that now. Bring me the shredder!”

A week later, I was sitting at another interview in another state and after answering the posed question... one of the interviewers jumped up out of his seat and started "praising the lord," and testifying to the many great gifts of "Christ our lord and savior"...

Hilarious......I guess they loved your answer to the question. Not too professional for an interview situation though.

Archived