failed PANRE

Guest INSTAKEN

Guest INSTAKEN

Think I will make a career move. Just got PANRE score and failed by one point. I am sick and tired of this recertification business. Every six years for 30 years! Problem is I work in Pathology. Anyone up for the exam - know your pharmacology. The exam this year is much harder than the one six years ago. Bummed!:mad:

I am sorry, I think it sucks that NPs never have to recertify but we do every 6 years. Its all a money making scam.

it's worse than that. there are 2 natl np credentialing boards each with their own test...and you only have to pass one of them. the np's near me take both when they graduate just to be sure of a better chance of passing....

I have to disagree

We were created to work primary care. We have ventured into other areas but this does not change history. You at any point in time could get hired to work in an ER or PCP office and you should have atleast a basic understanding of current medicine. Doc's have to recert every 10. NP's don't have too - so why would you advocate for becoming more like an NP?

Last time I looked it was like 95% of people taking PANRE passed. I never opened a book and passed in something like 80 percentile. Come on I hate to say it, but if you have difficulty passing the PANRE it is a little scary. Maybe justified if you are working in pathology but it never hurts to learn and stay up on at least the basic's of modern day treatment....

Study up, retest, pass, move on..... repeat every 6 years (I tested in early yr 5 so if I didn't pass I could take it 4 more times before my I would have to not work....)

sorry no sympathy

I have to say if pharm was the OP's weakness on this most recent PANRE it's really not surprising...just think of the tremendous EXPLOSION that has happened in pharmacology in the last 30 years (nee, in medicine alone in that time....)

I think the recertification review conference would be a good idea unless you really are ready to get out of the PA-C rat race. I feel for you (I'm a bit more sympathetic than Ventana).

Any chance you can continue to do the work you do without the -C?

I wish you the best.

L.

So what happens if you take it and fail? Can you take it again after your license expires? Also Lets say someone fails and takes a break and goes back to it, can you just take the exam whenever?

if you take it yr 5 you have 5 chances to pass....if you fail all 5 you have to pass pance again.

I agree CME Resources is the way to go. Pricey, but in 5 days everything is reviewed, with emphasis as needed. Each night you are given a practice test to take, returned the next day. By the end of the week, you are exhausted, but ready. Will definitely do it again in 2013

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know a PA who worked in the aesthetics (botox/laser hair removal) field since she graduated and just took the recertification test and passed. She said she studied the AAPA book and did the questions and it was helpful. If she, who didn't have any exposure to primary care or internal medicine, passed then its definitely doable right?

I have to disagree

We were created to work primary care. We have ventured into other areas but this does not change history. You at any point in time could get hired to work in an ER or PCP office and you should have atleast a basic understanding of current medicine. Doc's have to recert every 10. NP's don't have too - so why would you advocate for becoming more like an NP?

Last time I looked it was like 95% of people taking PANRE passed. I never opened a book and passed in something like 80 percentile. Come on I hate to say it, but if you have difficulty passing the PANRE it is a little scary. Maybe justified if you are working in pathology but it never hurts to learn and stay up on at least the basic's of modern day treatment....

Study up, retest, pass, move on..... repeat every 6 years (I tested in early yr 5 so if I didn't pass I could take it 4 more times before my I would have to not work....)

sorry no sympathy

Ventana hit the nail squarely on the head here. Perhaps when NCCPA's greedy money-making schemes come to fruitiion and specialty certification takes off this will no longer be a problem for PAs in specialties, but if the OPs been playing this game for 3 decades, he/she should know to expect a heavily primary care weighted exam. Pharm has been getting more and more attention on the PANRE as well and there have been numerous posts regarding this very subject on this forum. Grow up, stop complaining, study and retake the exam. Small price to pay for an excellent career with one of the best forcasted job growth rates of any profession.

Archived