*** Class of 2014 interview!!!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at the time i embraced the idea that the multiple intervewee format was a clever tool of some kind, but in retrospect i cant see what good it did for me to have insight into other folks responses. maybe it throws you off to hear other peoples responses, and it can certainly do that. .

There is a widely held opinion that being a PA is to be a member of a health care team. Having effective communication skills in a dynamic group setting may give insight to the applicant's ability to function in a collaborative based learning environment. (Which Medex is HUGE on). Personally...I share that opinion.

The group interview measures more than just verbal communication between the applicants. There are many forms of communication ranging from active listening, empathy, respect...all of which can be communicated without a word being spoken, based on posture and gaze. If applicant A. is speaking and I'm day dreaming out the window just waiting my time, it's pretty obvious that I am not engaged in the discussion at all. What makes it even more evident is when it's my turn to speak, and I repeat what was already said. This tells the interviewers that I am a self absorbed schmuck with the attention span of a gnat. They want original answers to the questions asked. The group setting tests the applicant's ability to think on their feet and re adjust in a moment's notice because invariably the first answer that came to you gets said before it's your turn to speak.

Hi, mukky! Those were almost my exact same turn-in dates; I also have an interview on the 4th. I am super thrilled. See you in Seattle!

I will also be interviewing on the 4th. I'm super excited/nervous so it's kind of nice to "meet" people who will also be there online ahead of time. Hopefully it's a good, friendly group on Tuesday so we can all relax and do well during the interviews.

Does anybody want to meet up the evening before? I think it'd be kind of nice to see some familiar faces on interview day. Maybe dinner or coffee (or whatever you drink)? I'm not from Seattle so I don't have any ideas where to meet. Any suggestions?

I could possibly meet up but I wasn't planning on doing anything that night except for making sure I was ready for Tuesday and getting to bed early. I could maybe do a quick dessert or coffee on my way home from work around 5-5:30-ish. Where are you staying? Downtown? Even if it doesn't work out to meet up I can at least give you some good food suggestions for while you're here.

It would be fun to meet up. When/where? If it doesn't work out for tomorrow, maybe we can all go out to unwind after the interview is over.

There's Cafe on the Ave that's w/in walking distance or there's a little coffee shop called Ugly Mug or Pagliacci Pizza if that sounds good. Let me know if you guys want to meet up, I actually decided to take tomorrow off so anytime works for me (earlier or later than rush hour would be the best since I'll be coming from the eastside, but whenever).

There's Cafe on the Ave that's w/in walking distance or there's a little coffee shop called Ugly Mug or Pagliacci Pizza if that sounds good. Let me know if you guys want to meet up, I actually decided to take tomorrow off so anytime works for me (earlier or later than rush hour would be the best since I'll be coming from the eastside, but whenever).

Jess and Jmarie, do you mind if I PM you with my number? That way we can text or call to discuss place/time. I'm going to be driving from northern Idaho so I won't be online most of the day. (And I have a dinosaur phone, anyway!) I like pizza. My friend also suggested a tapas place in the area called Bilbao. (Yum, tapas!)

Jess and Jmarie, do you mind if I PM you with my number? That way we can text or call to discuss place/time. I'm going to be driving from northern Idaho so I won't be online most of the day. (And I have a dinosaur phone, anyway!) I like pizza. My friend also suggested a tapas place in the area called Bilbao. (Yum, tapas!)

Sounds great, I like tapas or pizza. I will send my number too and we'll figure it out then I can post where and when on the forum so other people can join if they'd like.

Good luck on your interviews on Tuesday. It will be an unforgettable experience.

Andrew

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was weird that I'm so excited about it and not terrified but I really think it will be fun to meet everyone and take the next step toward becoming a PA (hopefully!!!).

I thought about you all today, best wishes to everyone. How did it go for folks? Much easier than expected? Fun? Terrifying? Terrifyingly fun? Wicked hard?

I expected to be nervous, but actually...had a good time. Everyone (faculty and students) was very nice and personable. It was interesting to meet the other applicants who all seemed extremely talented. Must be a hard decision for the adcom. :) Our table decided that they could have an easier few weeks if they just accepted all of us. LOL!!

To the applicants, it was great to meet all of you and finally put names with faces. Hope the next few weeks just fly by and good news awaits. :)

Archived