How long did it take you to find a job?

I'm a recent graduate, i passed my PANCE, did very well, as well as great grades in school, and while I wait for NYS to license me, I cant get a job interview to save my life! I'm definately more geared towards specialties, especially sports medicine and orthopedics, but thats what my background was prior to PA school. But i cant seem to find anything. Am I expecting too much right out of school, in hoping for the job that I want, in a specialty I love, or do I need to continue to have patience?

Feeling rejected in NYC...

First off I have heard NYC is a tough state to begin with in terms of finding PA jobs for new grads. Also I applied to almost 20 ERs before I found 1 that would interview me. You have to be persistent and keep looking. Do you have to stay in just NYC? You might want to try other areas. In my class it took anywhere from immediate job waiting upon graduation to up to 6 months later depending on the area and how persistent people were.

Expect one 10 years from now b/c of how the economy is going, no one is getting a job. Now everyone who recently graduated from college are sitting on their bums at home. And not only that, those already with jobs are having their salaries cut down and may be losing their jobs as well. My mom who makes an average of $80000 has lost all her benefits and may be making only $15000 a year shortly. And who knows, probably the entire US population will be homeless and on the streets in a few months if Obama doesn't get his freakin act right.

I'm in the same position. I am trying for a job just to boost up some more patient care experience and I'm already discouraged. I'm pretty pissed off because I feel it's going to ruin my plans for PA school and it will help definitely help my parents and me with an extra salary to boost up. I'm very aggravated and annoyed. Maybe it's telling me that I'm not meant to be a PA though I know I have the potential to do so. I'm hoping for at least ONE call, and none yet. Had I got a job at least, everything would have fallen in place.

I currently work in a small hospital in Michigan, and from the job boards PA/ NP are in high demand, right now.

Hospitals are restructuring and trying to save a dollar by having them take on more roles, since PA and NP make a lot less than MD, there will be more jobs opening up for them.

Just recently, they let two doctors go in our ER and replaced them with PA (currently, we have one doctor and four PAs as opposed to our previous 3 physicians and 2 PAs in ER ).

Trust me, when I say this, I look at the job boards every day, PA"s" and NP"s" are always in demand "At least here in Michigan.".

Don't forget http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/hea?query=physician+assistant&srchType=A

And search Monster, etc., daily, without ignoring the headhunter searches. I threw about 50 apps out there the last few weeks, didn't hear from but a few, interviewed, made my choice, signed today, and of course now I'm getting 3 offers a day to interview! Just put yourself out there relentlessly, something will come along. Congratulations and good luck!

I guess it just depends on where you are. Nearly everyone in my class had jobs prior to graduation. The only ones who didn't were the ones that you knew would have trouble (personality issues) or didn't pass the PANCE. Before I left school I had four legitimate offers.

So did the ones who had jobs prior to graduation somehow take the PANCE before they graduated? I think I understand your meaning, you just worded it incorrectly.

NYC is very competitive for new PAs, from my graduating class 2010 not everyone who wanted a position at a teaching hospital was able to land one and had to "settle" for outpatient clinic/doctor's office positions... it depends on your networking during your clinical rotations (and ability to show your preceptors you know the material), your previous HCE and I was asked by during several interviews my GPA and PANCE percentile (how else are they going to differentiate you and the 20 other applicants for the same spot)? I was told by the HR department at NYU last year during an interview that "new grads are a dime a dozen."

If I'm not mistaken NY has 18 PA programs more than any other state.

There are plenty of job opportunities available in NYC, at my hospital I know of at least 5 PA positions open/filled in the past 2-3 months... but there are also a lot of new grads... and PAs who have been working 1-2 years now wanting to switch fields/positions. :)

I am a new grad as well. I have been licensed in IL and have been on a job hunt for 3 months. I'm applying to numerous openings and have only been called to interview about 5 times. I think it def does matter what city or state you are applying in.

Paporzelt- hang in there. I'm sure you'll get interviews once you are licensed. It seems as if you have previouis HCE under your belt. I noticed that whenever I speak to a HR/recruiter/potential employer their first question is always regarding the status of my license. I think it def matters when you're applying for jobs without a contact/networking.

Oh.. and PAgirl689 you are right it's a shame to see the state of our economy today. Everybody's being hit hard with this recession and high rates unemployment.

I am a new grad and actually take the PANCE tomorrow! I would say either be flexible or should have been on the lookout during clinicals. I am in CO and after getting low balled on offers from clinical sites I decided broaden my search. I went to a CareerMD job fair and talked to everyone and handed out CV. The last booth I talked to had great openings in OR and long story short got a dream job and will be starting in October.

The moral of the story is to be open to all opportunities. I think as a new grad you can't be too picky but still have to find something you love. I did not go through all this to not like my job and not get compensated well.

I just graduated from a program in NYC and most of my classmates including myself have found jobs with a good salary/benefit profile/training time etc. I definitely agree with the whole open to all opportunities because you may not get your dream job the first time around, its all about building your experience in the medical field. Many of the hospitals in Manhattan are hiring so you can look into that if you'd like.

Our program constantly emails us with new opportunities and contact information so maybe you can also talk with your program director.

Good luck!

Don't forget http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/hea?query=physician+assistant&srchType=A

And search Monster, etc., daily, without ignoring the headhunter searches. I threw about 50 apps out there the last few weeks, didn't hear from but a few, interviewed, made my choice, signed today, and of course now I'm getting 3 offers a day to interview! Just put yourself out there relentlessly, something will come along. Congratulations and good luck!

Where did you graduate from and where was the area you were searching if you don't mind me asking?

yeah, basically everyone I talk to says a lot of the same things: once you have your license people will respond to you better. the "RPAC" makes a big difference vs "PAC" to HR depts. Ive even found that on a lot of the websites for hospitals, until you can check off "yes i'm licensed" you are instantly ineligible.

I by no means want to scare people off - NYC has TONS of jobs for PA's, but yeah, being a new grad is hard, and I want to specialize. I have 8 years of hands on in-office, and OR experience prior to being in PA school, and I scored in the 92nd percentile on the PANCE, and my GPA was a 3.5. but its still hard for a new grad. Im begining to look in areas just outside of NYC, like hoboken, and CT, because they are very commutable, at least for a year until I get some experience and can get a job closer to home. And no, I cant move. my fiance works in TV, which is an incredibly difficult market right now, so we cant afford risking his job - if he left he might never get back into the industry again (its THAT competitive). so - i'm just staying patient, and reminding myself it has only been 2 months...Positivity and proaction breed results.

I understand that your plan is to specialize, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a position in a different field to get your ball rolling. You can start bringing some good income in, while you continue to search for what you want. Nothing has to be forever (I'm reminded of our Rotations Director stressing "flexibility"). And truthfully, any experience is good experience ... take an Urgent Care position for now, start taking care of some patients. Your time will come ... not everyone starts out exactly where they want to be permanently in life.

I got a job a few weeks after I graduated, but I had started looking a few months before. I religiously went to every hospital website, craigslist, monster, AAPA job site and NYSSPA job listing sites. I was lucky because the doctor I work for now paid for a temporary license and I was able to work before I even took the boards. I think alot depends on the field you want to get into. NYC is a tough place for a job, but there are definitely places hiring. I saw that Montefiore and Maimonides are hiring a slew a PAs, although both could probably be considered undesirable location-wise depending on where you live.

after i got my license it took 3 months....applied to almost everything in my state and applied to a few select cities over the country...just stay persistent ( i know it's a cliche but it is true). I found it harder around major metro areas, obviously because no one wants to work in the sticks.

Now hold on there! Some of us looked for jobs in the sticks! LOL. I'm in the sticks. I'm a UPer and proud of it! LOL!

don't forget to check the NHSC website...they have loan repayment sites

check aapa job site (they do have one???)

DocCafe.com

absolutelyHealthCare.com post CV here & most other recruiters will pick it up also

bill@paworld.net <---- major source of jobs.

if you are unencumbered by family, this is a great time to go anywhere!

first goal is get experience, then, where you prefer.

having a license is necessary to be considered a viable job candidate.:-_-:

be patient and good luck.

I had to wait over a year for a PA job and move two states over, and left family. sometimes it's harder at first, but it does get better, much better.

alleycat

Not to say this will apply in every case, but it does bear out to be true more often than not.

I quote the great EMEDPA in regards to first jobs out of PA school...

SPECIALITY

SALARY

You can choose 2 of 3 at the max. To land all 3 is winning the lottery....or you have loads of prior HCE or just know someone in the right place. But for the rest of us...it seems to bear out more often than not.

first of all..@ true anomaly...i absolutely died laughing when i read "future pug owner". thanks for the laugh. also - good point about the 3 things i can choose from. Sometimes I wish moving was an option, but in reality I don't want to, nor can I with my current relationship/living/life situations lol.

But, my license should be here friday. I've also gotten some feedback from HR friends that actually physically faxing can grab attention, and I'm going to a few job fairs in the coming weeks. I'm broadening my search, and I'm mentally preparing myself for the fact that I may not get into the specialty I want right off the bat, however I'm still going to try like hell :) I'm thankful I at least have my old job to fall back on right now. I'm just soooooooooo sick of being the broke friend. I'll let everyone know how things go...

Archived