Current OHSU students..

Guest starvingstudent
I have recently been accepted and I would love to hear your views on the program and if it is everything you expected. Also I would like to know what flaws the program has?? Thanks so much for your time!!

John

After about a year of living in portland, your hair will slowly turn into moss and you will develop a woody body odor. haha.:)

I'm a first-year student and love it. It really is a great program, with fantastic faculty and amazing guest lecturers. Two things that really make OHSU stand out, to me, are the support system and family-like atmosphere, and the program's focus on turning out great PAs who will not only be great health care providers, but advocate for the PA profession and the improvement of health care into the future. OHSU is a world-class facility, which provides access to a lot of resources, experiences and professors that aren't available at most other schools. I also really like how all of the clinical (i.e. non-anatomy/physiology) exams are in the PANCE style- computerized, multiple choice, relevant and phrased like the board exam questions.

As far as "flaws," I would just warn you that it's a very challenging program with higher expectations than most- but not unbearable, and it's because the program wants to turn out world-class PAs.

Feel free to PM me with more specific Qs. Just give me a few days to reply- they're keeping us pretty busy here. :-)

Guest almumfor

I got the call on Friday and have also been accepted! I am eagerly awaiting the information in the mail. Who else has gotten in? I am a local girl and it would be fun to meet some people before school starts.

Guest starvingstudent

I am curious if the pa students at OHSU are able to utilize the "world-class" medical facilities during their entire clinical rotation... I have heard that students only do a couple of rotations on OHSU campus. Is this true?

I am curious if the pa students at OHSU are able to utilize the "world-class" medical facilities during their entire clinical rotation... I have heard that students only do a couple of rotations on OHSU campus. Is this true?

Yes, I only did one rotation on the Hill. I did part of another at a local OHSU clinic. Everything else was at another local hospital or out of Portland. While the med students do go out of town abit, they generally do many/most of their rotations on the Hill, hence less room for PA students.

I got the call on Friday and have also been accepted! I am eagerly awaiting the information in the mail. Who else has gotten in? I am a local girl and it would be fun to meet some people before school starts.

Hi, I got a call that Friday too and am waiting for mail! I'm so excited. I'm from California and would like to meet people as well. :D

• 1 year later...

Hey Current OHSU students. I was accepted to OHSU and recently received an e-mail from the program regarding computers and the technology that we can use during our education at OHSU.

I have an Apple computer and according to the e-mail I will be unable to use my computer at school. They state that I MUST have a Windows based computer and I am not really interested in buying a new computer. Anyone use an Apple computer there currently?

Thanks,

Chris

Hello newbies,

I'm a 2nd-year PA student, so let me explain to computer situation as I was in the same boat...

Unfortunately the way our exams are configured, you are stuck using Windows internet explorer. The website they use for exams doesn't work with any other browser or OS. So yes, I was in that same position to be dragged kicking and screaming back to Windows.

My suggestion? Don't spend a ton of money. You could get by with just a notebook with a browser and microsoft office.

Whatever you do don't buy a Vaio! It was the worst $600 I've ever spent, but I'm not the only one in my class who had issues with their PCs.

Congrats guys and good luck!

During my interview we asked the director, Ted Ruback, about the amount of time spent on the hill during clinical rotations. His response was that at OHSU you would be able to observe great physicians doing great things, however, with the large number of residents at the hospital you would not get much hands on experience. As far as Ted was concerned he would much rather have his students go to another clinic or hospital where you will be first assist and get your hands dirty.

In regards to people who have yet to hear, if you call them they are really great about letting you know where you stand. Shoot Colleen an email she is a great resource.

PS I too will be there in June and can't wait. I live just south of P-town, it is a great city with a lot of character. If you want some hilarious clips that poke fun at the weirdness of Portland check out http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Portlandia&st=0&fs=. Very Very Funny clips

Yea, and even their most recent laptop specs sheet mentions that the dual-boot mode of Macs doesn't meet the requirements, so I would assume that would include Parallel.

We are aware of the Mac dual boot option and tested it several times but it does not maintain exam security. So, NO Macs; laptops MUST be a PC. I am sorry if you are a confirmed Mac user, but there are absolutely NO exceptions.

Which is interesting btw, if it's true about what the previous person said about it really just being about Internet Explorer.

• 10 months later...

Hi Emily,

Thank you for posting your experience of OHSU's PA school. I have an interview December 9, 2011. If you are available, I would love to know the following:

1. How were your clinical rotations?

2. Did you have assistance in finding housing during your clinical year?

3. Where were your sites?

4. What specialty to do you practice in now and did you feel prepared to practice when you started your first job?

5. What is your relationship with your supervising physician like? EG: How much autonomy do you have? How available is he/she?

Archived