Don't give up! I got into PA school w/ bad stats!

So I just finished my first quarter and managed to get 1 B and the rest A's. Doesn't mean I'll be a good PA, but at least the didatic portion is starting off well.

^ In response to the Q about, I took classes at a community college after my undergrad. Take as many as you can at once (I took over 20 units in one semester and worked full time) and it still won't even be half of the time you need to devote to PA school. Some were repeat classes of bad grades during undergrad, some were new, such as pharmacology and nutrition. Although those were not prereqs for the school I am currently attending, it has given me a headstart.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear that more recent hard work can overshadow some past poor performance. My undergrad performance started of slow (I think I changed majors about 4 times) but had a gradual uptick in performance. i received a masters in kinesiology and held a 3.7 in grad school. Went to work in cardiac rehab and now am the lead exercise physiologist with 12 years experience. I have now completed Microbiology, Sociology, Anatomy. A in all and am taking Physiology now - should get an A. Also volunteer in a free clinic once or twice a month. Didn't get in this year and hope that next application cycle will be the one that lands me a spot in PA school.

Thanks for the encouragement cbrsmurf. Well, I wasn't all that surprised because the school I applied to "strongly encouraged" that Anatomy, Physiology, and Micro be taken in the last 10 years and it had been 14 yrs since I had completed physiology by the time I applied. I think that "strongly encourage" should read as "don't even think you'll get in if you haven't". Since I'll have completed these three classes over the past year and a half I feel I'll be a stronger candidate next time around. Besides, I have really enjoyed taking these classes over, it has been a really good refresher.

Guest stars4ever

cbrsmurf - which postbac program did you do? I'm a graduate of UCD and with similar gpa as you. Do you have any pointers for me? I've tried applying at SFSU for their postbac program, but got waitlisted then rejected. I'm currently working as an MA at a rheumatologist office (4 years now). It's so frustrating and I'm almost ready to give up.

congrats to all that got in!

I had a question, I will be applying this year or soon actually now that CASPA opened up today and I was wondering what I can do to make my application much stronger? My gpa is about a 2.9 and science gpa even lower than that. I have over 1000hrs of work done, and I plan on taking the GRE at the end of this month. I was involved in clubs during my undergrad both in PA and Pharmacy as well. I did a lot of volunteer work for both fields and felt that PA was something I would much rather stick with. Is it bad to include the work I did for Pharmacy under my research and volunteer sections?

Waited a long time to post this!

Status: Accepted to Touro Manhattan PA Program class of 2013! Its for the wait list, but its still says acceptance instead of "We regret to inform you....."

So, there is def. hope for all the low GPAers out there! :)

It only takes one yes!

Kacs

I have some questions about admissions. I graduated from college in 2005 with a less than stellar GPA (read 2.8). Then I got my Masters in Education and taught H.S for 3 yrs. Then I heard about Medical Technology, took courses in Micro and Anatomy and Physiology 1 + 2 (straight A's in all) and applied to the Medtech program. The Medtech school is accredited and will allow me to sit for the ASCP exam and obtain my license as a Medical Laboratory Scientist. We have taken courses in:

Clinical Immunology 2.5 Credits

Clinical Chemistry 6 Credits

Clinical Hematology 4.5 Credits

Clinical Immunohematology/ Blood Bank 5 Credits

Microbiology 2.5 Credits

Parasitology 2.5 Credits

Clinical Coagulation 2.5 Credits

Urinalysis/Body Fluids 2.5 Credits

Along with these courses, 3 days a week, for a year, we work in various hospital labs around the city.

This makes up our clinical rotation grade and we are in the hospitals from 9am-5pm. That puts me at 1000+ hours

of healthcare experience (but it isnt direct patient care)

With 4 months left in the program, I have As and Bs in all of the above courses.

The only class that I've never taken in my academic career was Organic Chemistry (it wasnt required). But I plan

on taking that in the summer as I study for my ASCP exam.

When I look at prerequisite websites for P.A programs the courses that they mention are generally:

Mathematics (Precalculus or Statistics) (3 credits)

General Biology + Laboratory (8 credits)

General Chemistry + Laboratory (8 credits)

Microbiology (3 credits)

Organic Chemistry + Laboratory OR Biochemistry + Laboratory (4 credits)

Anatomy + Laboratory (4 credits)

Physiology (3 credits)

Youth is wasted on the young and who I was as a student in college, 6 years ago is not who I am now. Do you think with all the courses I have taken after graduating college I have enough to offset some of those lower grades I obtained when I was younger?

I hear everyone talking about their gpas being 3.4 and 3.8 and I haven't applied to CASPA yet because my medtech grades wont be officially available until August. So

I don't know where I fall on the CASPA g.p.a scale.

I know that they weigh science courses differently but i dont know if all of the post bacc courses I've taken will be

outshadowed by the grades I got in college.

What else could I be doing to make myself a standout applicant in a sea of standout applicants? I have made contact with two PAs but due to scheduling they still dont have time for me

to shadow with them

Do additional qualifications such as knowing cpr, really enhance your chances?

Sorry for the long winded email but thanks in advance for your reply (and thank you to anyone else who wants to reply).

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, since this thread has been started a lot is happening very fast to our profession. For those of us who have already graduated, we are grateful that we are done. For many trying to get in....not so. All programs are going to be masters programs and many programs aren't waiting until the deadline and are masters now. Class size will be smaller, competition even more fierce than before(is that possible?), and I have a feeling that we won't be seeing threads like this one going up anymore. This thread has between 7000-8000 views, that speaks volumes. I still look in the PrePA section and someone with a 2.3 or 2.5 will ask what is the fastest, easiest way to get into PA school. A real slap in the face for the rest of us who worked for yrs to get top notch grades and high quality hce. PA school is unique b/c it's a combination of physical and mental work to get in. Not too many other professions can say that. I wrote a post quite a while ago stating that anyone who really wants PA will climb over, bend under, go around, or just push right through any barrier that's put in front of them...that's the PA way. I still stand by what I wrote, it's just going to be a lot more difficult....good luck!

Interesting you should say that E, we had a couple in our class where the parent attended the DO program, donated money, and their child walked into the PA program. One even bragged about while in undergrad didn't bother to show up for his finals, some sort of protest I guess. I call it a "pass" not a free one....

what's the average amount of schools everyone is applying to??? am i crazy for only applying to 2???

depends on your gpa/gre/hce, etc

I applied to 2 but was pretty sure I would get in.

if you don't have lots of experience or a great gpa apply to 10 or so. more than that is silly. if you don't get into 1 of 10 there is something wrong that you need to address.

I know an applicant who applied to 35 and got into most. what a waste of money, time, and resources.

I'm really first starting the process so I really don't know whats considered good

my gpa is 3.8, i didn't take GRE's and my hce is i just got certified for emt, 200 volunteer hrs, and 200 shadowing hrs of a pa in a hospital and now shadowing a surgeon - do u think i should be ok???

I just finished my didatic 15 month portion. I didn't get a single C, but some classes were definitely hard to get an A in (for me, at least). Some more HCE might have made some things easier to remember, but doesn't really come into play in this part of the training, in my opinion. I am pretty sure prior HCE experience will play a much larger part in the clinical portion. I guess I'll be seeing real soon how that'll go. Pretty excited and scared. Good luck to all who are interviewing around this time.

Archived