Re-applicants question about personal statement

hi everyone

i just wanted to get some advice. I am a re-applicant. For the Personal statement, do you guys recommend writing an entire new essay or just adding/cutting out couple paragraphs.

Also, do you think in the i should address that i am a re-applicant? i'm thinking If i'm applying to schools, i didn't apply last year then they wouldn't know, but what about schools i previously applied? hmm

what are you thoughts?

hi everyone

i just wanted to get some advice. I am a re-applicant. For the Personal statement, do you guys recommend writing an entire new essay or just adding/cutting out couple paragraphs.

Also, do you think in the i should address that i am a re-applicant? i'm thinking If i'm applying to schools, i didn't apply last year then they wouldn't know, but what about schools i previously applied? hmm

what are you thoughts?

Your new essay should closely mirror your old one, since I'm sure you wrote about your healthcare experiences and desire to become a PA. I would think that your experiences and desire are still the same; however, If you've engaged in additional healthcare experiences since your last application, I would add that in there. I wouldn't address that you're a re-applicant, for the very same reason that you mentioned: some schools are receiving your app for the first time. With that said, rearrange your old PS to reflect any changes in your healthcare experience or your motivation/devotion to pursuing the career, and the schools that you are re-applying to will already know that you're a re-applicant. No need to address it.

Good luck.

Definitely re-write your personal statement! (for the most part) I was a re-applicant last year and I had a lot of new experiences to add, although the "story" of why I wanted to be a PA was pretty much the same. I think I copied one paragraph from my old PS to my new PS.

As for addressing being a re-applicant, I didn't do this directly. I said something like "since graduation I have ..." and listed what I had done to improve my app without saying I was reapplying. Does that make sense?

I tried to rewrite a new PS from scratch and was trying too hard to "make it different". The problem is that last time I worked hard to portray why I want to be a PA and that didn't change and there was no better way to say it! So I ended up basically using the one from last year, spruced it up a bit and added about my new experience. Now my problem is that I am 100 characters over the limit, want to add a bit more about some of my experiences and didn't even address one aspect that one of my schools want. The school based their essay on a 2 page essay, which is longer than the 5000 character limit.

Archived