Withdrawing etiquette

Most schools will have a protocol for this.  Check your offer letter/email and see if it says anything.  If you don't know, I'd check the online system first if they have one and see if there is an option there.  If not, I'd email the contact person saying you will be forfeiting your seat.  You can leave it at that or just say you've decided to attend another program.  Don't feel bad, it happens all the time.  Better to let them know early so they can fill your seat.  

They probably don't care why you won't be attending their program, people shuffle around all the time and they have a list of people who would love your spot.  If they want to know, they'll ask you.

• Upvote 2

What is the etiquette for withdrawing from a school for which you've paid a deposit? Is emailing better because it's a written statement? Should you explain why?

Kinda nervous mostly because I feel bad.

Thank you for asking this question. I am in the same boat.

On a side note, in another forum someone said that they got their deposit back, but I never heard of this.

My own deposit never said it's non-refundable, but I am wondering if this implied? Help!

Thank you for asking this question. I am in the same boat.

On a side note, in another forum someone said that they got their deposit back, but I never heard of this.

My own deposit never said it's non-refundable, but I am wondering if this implied? Help!

If it is refundable, they will refund it.  All of the ones I've seen were non-refundable but would be put towards your tuition should you attend.  I'd go over the info you were given again to double check.  If it is refundable, I imagine it's automatic and they don't hold on to it if you don't ask.

• 4 years later...
On 11/9/2015 at 7:15 PM, dndandrea said:

Nothing to feel bad about, unless you keep waiting until last minute... Just send them an email letting them know you have been accepted to another school that you preferred to go to. 

So is 4-6 weeks prior to the start date in advance enough? Having this issue in 2020 😭

ie: I didn’t fully understand how “rolling admissions” work, applies to all my schools at the end of the deadline (so I’m having QUICK turn around) and school A interviewed & accepted me within a 10 day window in the end of October. School B’s interview is next week, and if I get in there I might like to choose it. The issue of course being that school A starts 01/2021. Of course if I don’t have an acceptance to school B prior to 12/2020, I will attend school A. But is 4 weeks an unreasonable timeline? (Again, I haven’t been accepted to school B yet, so I’m not even sure it’s an issue yet).

Edited by MPAhopeful

• Administrator
22 hours ago, MPAhopeful said:

So is 4-6 weeks prior to the start date in advance enough? Having this issue in 2020 😭

ie: I didn’t fully understand how “rolling admissions” work, applies to all my schools at the end of the deadline (so I’m having QUICK turn around) and school A interviewed & accepted me within a 10 day window in the end of October. School B’s interview is next week, and if I get in there I might like to choose it. The issue of course being that school A starts 01/2021. Of course if I don’t have an acceptance to school B prior to 12/2020, I will attend school A. But is 4 weeks an unreasonable timeline? (Again, I haven’t been accepted to school B yet, so I’m not even sure it’s an issue yet).

Give the most notice you can, but know that there are people on the waitlist who WILL drop things and attend the very next day if you drop 1 day before course start.  Mind you, there may have been a ton of people skipped or declined, but SOMEONE from that waitlist will take that spot.

On 11/6/2020 at 12:26 AM, rev ronin said:

Give the most notice you can, but know that there are people on the waitlist who WILL drop things and attend the very next day if you drop 1 day before course start.  Mind you, there may have been a ton of people skipped or declined, but SOMEONE from that waitlist will take that spot.

That makes me feel better!! However, after doing some soul-searching, I’m realizing that school A is actually such a better fit for me than school B, plus unless/until school B accepts me, it’s not even a choice I have to worry about making yet! Thanks for responding, as I see this thread has been inactive for a while 😊😊😊