All the organic chem you will ever have to know is right here

What you will find is that PA school teaches you all you need to know to BEGIN learning how to be a GENERAL practitioner. Unfortunately, many (if not most) PAs will enter a specialty that PA school did little to truly prepare them for.

I am a true believer, and it's only my opinion, that school teaches you about 20% of what you really need to know to be successful in any given field. One of the biggest mistake any graduate can make from any sort of advanced education is to hit the job market thinking they have it all dialed in. Personally, I do not aspire to work in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery or neurology or any other high end specialty. I was actually one of those guys who was serious when they answered "to work in rural medicine and be a member of the community". I've spent my time on the cutting edge of adrenaline medicine. If I need a fix, I know where to find it. For now...bring on Johnny and his case of the sniffles. I'll even see his mom at the same time for her high cholesterol and persistent depression.

I am a true believer, and it's only my opinion, that school teaches you about 20% of what you really need to know to be successful in any given field. One of the biggest mistake any graduate can make from any sort of advanced education is to hit the job market thinking they have it all dialed in. Personally, I do not aspire to work in pediatric cardiothoracic surgery or neurology or any other high end specialty. I was actually one of those guys who was serious when they answered "to work in rural medicine and be a member of the community". I've spent my time on the cutting edge of adrenaline medicine. If I need a fix, I know where to find it. For now...bring on Johnny and his case of the sniffles. I'll even see his mom at the same time for her high cholesterol and persistent depression.

On rotations you may change your mind... What if you start slicing and dicing and find that surgery is for you? What if you decided that getting yelled at for the 10th time that day by a patient for not prescribing antibiotics for their viral infection, along with the 3 new drug seekers that decided to stop in, isn't quite as rewarding as you had originally imagined? I don't think you can really make up your mind where you want to practice until you are in it from the standpoint of a PA for a while. Just my .02

On rotations you may change your mind... What if you start slicing and dicing and find that surgery is for you? What if you decided that getting yelled at for the 10th time that day by a patient for not prescribing antibiotics for their viral infection, along with the 3 new drug seekers that decided to stop in, isn't quite as rewarding as you had originally imagined? I don't think you can really make up your mind where you want to practice until you are in it from the standpoint of a PA for a while. Just my .02

I started putting bandages on people in 1988. In 1990 I entered health care full time as a Navy Corpsman and served for 10 years. I have served in ERs, ambulances, pediatric, geriatric, psychiatric in patient units. I have been the Senior Corpsman (supervisor/trainer/care provider) on Cardiac Stepdown units and Coronary care units with cross training in cardiothoracic and neuro ICUs. In 1995 I became a surgical technician and spent three years at sea providing primary/acute care on board amphibious assault ships and aircraft carriers. I have assisted in surgeries ranging from trauma to cosmetic to reconstructive to vascular, general, and ortho in both the military theater and the civilian OR. For the past 10 years of my life I have been invited into people's home to provide care to them at what they perceived to be the most critical moment of their life. And that is not even the rough outline of the scope of exposure to medicine that I have experienced. When I go to sleep at night I can still see faces of babies that have been born in my hands mixed with the remains of people who were beyond help.

Call me silly but I think I have a pretty good grasp on what medicine has to offer me. But thanks for your concern.

I started putting bandages on people in 1988. In 1990 I entered health care full time as a Navy Corpsman and served for 10 years. I have served in ERs, ambulances, pediatric, geriatric, psychiatric in patient units. I have been the Senior Corpsman (supervisor/trainer/care provider) on Cardiac Stepdown units and Coronary care units with cross training in cardiothoracic and neuro ICUs. In 1995 I became a surgical technician and spent three years at sea providing primary/acute care on board amphibious assault ships and aircraft carriers. I have assisted in surgeries ranging from trauma to cosmetic to reconstructive to vascular, general, and ortho in both the military theater and the civilian OR. For the past 10 years of my life I have been invited into people's home to provide care to them at what they perceived to be the most critical moment of their life. And that is not even the rough outline of the scope of exposure to medicine that I have experienced. When I go to sleep at night I can still see faces of babies that have been born in my hands mixed with the remains of people who were beyond help.

Call me silly but I think I have a pretty good grasp on what medicine has to offer me. But thanks for your concern.

To each their own, regardless of your previous experiences, being in the role of a provider changes the game. Best of luck to you.

From someone who has spent time in a quite rural FP clinic treating patients, I can say that it was one of the least rewarding things I have done. There was maybe 1 case per day that actually appreciated what you were doing. THe rest consisted of 5ish drug seekers with bizzare stories who would become verbally and physically abusive when you refused their drugs... patients showing up after a day of a cough (or any UR symptom) thinking they need antibiotics and belittling you when you dont provide them, etc. When you just want to help others in the role of a provider, and none of them seem to really provide any positive feedack, it becomes draining pretty quickly. Being a nurse/lpn/support staff isn't the same as being in the shoes of the provider in this scenario.

To each their own, regardless of your previous experiences, being in the role of a provider changes the game. Best of luck to you.

From someone who has spent time in a quite rural FP clinic treating patients, I can say that it was one of the least rewarding things I have done. There was maybe 1 case per day that actually appreciated what you were doing. THe rest consisted of 5ish drug seekers with bizzare stories who would become verbally and physically abusive when you refused their drugs... patients showing up after a day of a cough (or any UR symptom) thinking they need antibiotics and belittling you when you dont provide them, etc. When you just want to help others in the role of a provider, and none of them seem to really provide any positive feedack, it becomes draining pretty quickly. Being a nurse/lpn/support staff isn't the same as being in the shoes of the provider in this scenario.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived