Thought I would start a thread for those accepted to Boston for 2016! I am very excited about this program and am 99% sure I'll be attending! :)

Hi everybody,

I received an e-mail notifying me of my interview in January.

I have a 3.495 over all GPA, and 3.52 science GPA. I took classes exceeding the pre-requisites (my major was basically on the pre-med track).

I have 342 hours as a CNA in the alzheimer's unit of a nursing home as well as 360 hours of clinical lab experience, and 100 hours volunteer experience at a children's hospital. I have 3 letters of recommendation, etc.

I'll also be working in December and get probably 150 more hours before my interview.

What do you think my chances of getting accepted for this cycle are?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi everybody,

I received an e-mail notifying me of my interview in January.

I have a 3.495 over all GPA, and 3.52 science GPA. I took classes exceeding the pre-requisites (my major was basically on the pre-med track).

I have 342 hours as a CNA in the alzheimer's unit of a nursing home as well as 360 hours of clinical lab experience, and 100 hours volunteer experience at a children's hospital. I have 3 letters of recommendation, etc.

I'll also be working in December and get probably 150 more hours before my interview.

What do you think my chances of getting accepted for this cycle are?

Thanks!

Hi Tennisgal255,

Your chances look pretty good. I am pretty sure you will be accepted but what is strange is why would they call you so late in the cycle? The have been interviewing since October. The earlier you interview, the better chance you have to get accepted because MCPHS does rolling admissions. Anyways, all the best. 

Thanks!

If you are an external candidate and wait listed, chances are practically not there at all.

If you are wait listed and an undergrad from MCPHS , then you might be offered a seat at a latter date.

Past couple of years, no external candidate, wait listed after interview has ever been picked up 

rk_pancholy,

Did u get accepted?

I have been wait listed after an interview - practically no chance of being accepted at all based on their past stats

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Marcelih
      Hello everyone,
      I have an interview this week at Campbell University (NC), and this will be my first PA interview. What advice would give for PA interviews? Should we be familiar in some ethical issues in the medical field? Commonly asked questions?
      Thanks!
      MH
    • By Asok15
      Hi folks, this is my first time here and I'm in need of advice!! So I graduated from The George Washington University with a BS in Public Health (GPA something around 3.4). I enrolled in the MPH program at BU but due to significant mental health struggles I ended up doing quite poorly. I was originally full time, went down to part time, and then decided to withdraw; I completed the classes I was enrolled in and got 2 Bs and 2B-. After some soul-searching and getting back to myself I have decided I want to become a PA but I'm afraid having withdrawn from this MPH program is going to be a huge strike against me, what do you think?

From my research; what I need to do to become a competitive candidate is
      1.  acquire ~1000 HCE hours
      2. shadow PAs
      3. complete my science prerequisites with a good GPA
      4. volunteer in community healthcare settings
      5. attain some sort of Spanish medical terminology proficiency being that I did my minor in Spanish. Does anyone know of some?

My plan for attaining HCE hours is to take free CNA classes through a center that guarantees placement afterward. Regarding the prerequisites, I took 1 biology class during undergrad so I will need to take biology II, microbiology, chemistry I & II, A&P I & II, organic chemistry, and genetics. I need advice about which order to take them in and whether I should take them online, hybrid through a community college, or apply to a post bac. I want to get these done as soon as possible but I want to do well. I live in MA so there are many schools I can consider for taking these classes in person; for distance/online classes I am trying to decide between MGH IHP, UNE, and Doane U. Does anyone have advice about this? This is mostly where I am stuck at now; I'm just not sure which option to choose but I hope to begin prereqs this summer. 

• By Ddunnmi
      Hello!
      I am currently awaiting a hard copy of a verbal offer given for a general surgery position. One of my preceptors told me to ask for a higher salary no matter what the original offer was. As a new grad, I am unsure how to go about asking for a higher salary. I was wondering if anyone had any general advice on how to approach this situation. 
      Thank you!
    • By teamrogers
      I need advice on how to handle a certain advisor at my school. There is a lot to this story but here is a nutshell: I'm majoring in Cell and molecular biology and this individual is the advisor for my degree. When I express my interest in PA school he shuts me down and makes me feel stupid for wanting to go that route (he discourages people from the medical feild even though this degree was designed for pre med and pre health students). I've gone to another professor to sign up for classes and when he found out he sought me out and said he is the only one who should be advising me. He told me I'm going to graduate in a year although that won't be enough time to finish my pre recs for PA school and when I say this he flat out talks over me and doesn't listen to me. This advisor has behaved inappropriately with me before and I have recognized him as a emotional manipulator. When I stand up for my self and don't do exactly what he wants me to do or I dont let him pry into my personal life he acts like a humongous baby and treats me like I'm a bad person. This creates an immense amount of stress and anxiety for me when all I want to do is just enjoy school and do well. I have to take 3 more classes with this person  plus a senior project but I have dread about it because of the way he acts. My school is so small that the way its designed, he's in charge of much of my academics because of my degree. I've even though about transfering schools because this feels so unhealthy but I don't want to run from a problem just because its hard. Any advice? 
    • By viveksivaraman
      Hey PA Forum, I am Pre-PA and I wanted advice to where my feelings in the application process stand. I went through my undergrad with not much of a direction, graduating with a BS in Biochemistry but a 2.86 GPA. I worked for 2 years as a "scientist" but I was really just running samples through a machine (medical device) and it did not allow any sort of interesting work. I worked as part of the lab at the Boston Marathon, analyzing runner blood samples in the device, and it was the first time I was exposed to the medical field. This allowed me to appreciate their work, and also, for the first time, feel I could make a difference with my efforts. I capitalized on this excitement, and looked into nursing and PA, and decided PA. I got an EMT certification, and gave CPR to a patient in a trauma room at the nearby hospital as part of the certification. I was so excited, and then I got a job as a CNA in a teaching hospital on a heart failure floor. Everything was coming along. I was also taking pre-reqs this whole time, I completed A&P I,II, Genetics, Biochemistry, all either A or B+. As I worked at the hospital, I mainly bathed patients, and provided care in daily living, working under nurses. But the attitude of the nurses really got to me. Some would bully the technicians in a way, it was never intentional but I could not stand them. All the technicians and nurses were gossipy women and I, more of an introverted male, just felt nothing in common with them, and everything I did was judged. Nurses, and techs and female patients would occasionally hit on me, and it just felt uncomfortable. It became so frustrating for me that these shifts became almost me vs them, in my head. But I kept pushing on, I kept searching for jobs in the ER, because that seemed so exciting to me. I shadowed a resident in the ER, and loved every minute of it. I really enjoyed it because it was exciting; very different than anything I had seen; the machinery of the body was in a life threatening situation, and it was very rewarding to fix it. I also really loved all things space, and always was researching things about space. However I wasn't able to get a position in the ER, and I just felt like the oddball out all the time; and the feminine and social aspect of medicine was driving me nuts. I felt like everywhere in healthcare was this; and had this veneer or being the savior for patients, I just felt I was beating up the wrong tree for my own goals. I decided I wanted to try something in engineering due to my love of space. So after 9 months of being a tech, and shadowing 5 PAs (only enjoyed the ER shadowing) I moved to Houston, with my sister (couldn't go home, father is an alcoholic and made life at home toxic). I decided to try everything I enjoyed to figure out if this field was for me. I started taking engineering classes, a geology class, and started to learn programming, and am volunteering in a lab where I help a professor research bacteria on the Space Station. I have been stressed out, figuring out if this career is for me. I went to healthcare career fair, and interviewed for an ER Tech job, to try it out again, and am hoping it is less daunting on me. I also am thinking about pursuing biomedical engineering, as it may combine my interests, but I am nervous, because it seems a bit antisocial. I was wondering if I could get some advice about my situation, and if I have it all wrong about actually being a PA. Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More