which class would be better?

So I register for winter quarter in two weeks and I'm not really sure which class would be better for me to take. I will definitely be taking the third quarter of A&P and working full time. I was planning on also taking medical terminology online through the local community college. However, I found they are also offering pathophysiology once a week (not online) and with no lab. I think pathophysiology sounds really interesting and I would love to take that class, but I'm not sure if I should just take medical terminology. Most of the schools I want to apply to have both on their "recommended" list, and I'm pretty sure none (except maybe loma linda?) require medical terminology. I could also wait until spring quarter to take med term, but I would prefer to have no outstanding classes when I apply. Basically, I'm asking which of the three options would be best, and does it make a difference if I take pathophys before PA school? I guess it should also be noted I already have a BS in biochem so I already have quite a bit of upper division science classes and will probably have right around 2000 HCE hours as a cna when I apply

Option 1: take a&p and med term winter quarter

Option 2: take a&p and pathophys winter quarter

Option 3: take a&p and pathophys in winter and then take med term in spring quarter and it will be an outstanding class on my application

Thanks for any and all advice!

• Administrator

3.  There are a bazillion places you can pick up medical terminology online, whereas pathophys is a much rarer class.  It'd probably not be that much of a stretch to pick up terminology as well as A&P and pathophys, but unless you really have a reason to stress yourself like that, just pick up medical terminology whenever.

Medical terminology is recommended by more schools than pathophys. Even though most schools do not require medical term., they make you take a test during orientation week on medical terminology, which you are expected to study on your own if you did not take a course. So it's nice to take the course and get it out of the way. 

That being said, even though pathophys is not required by any school that i know of, it's going to be very useful and make the material in PA school easier to understand since you will have prior knowledge. But keep in mind, unless you need additional courses to boost your gpa, you can save money and buy the textbook and just teach yourself the material. 

It wouldn't be wrong to take either course. If I were you, I would pick the course that would be easier for you, so that you can focus on other parts of your application, like time for shadowing. Best of luck! 

The pathophysiology courses you take in PA school are probably the toughest courses you'll take. I would definitely advise taking it in undergrad to not only make yourself a better candidate, but to prepare yourself for the brutal course ahead. I would just take medical terminology online if your school offers it. You'll get most of your medical terminology from other classes and through your HCE.

Archived