Neuro Practices Encouraged to Hire PAs/NPs

My SP told me yesterday that he attended a meeting on Thursday night with one of the top MS Neurologist in the country (I'm forgetting his name right now) from Georgetown U. He made the comment that the current neuro residentcies are producing board-certified neurologists at a pace that is about 10% below the pace of neurologists retirements. This, combined with the aging of the population, more effective (and treatment intensive) therapies for chronic neuro illiness, that there will be a huge shortage of neurologist in 10 years. He strongly encouraged neurology practices to hire a PA or NP. Interesting. Think neruo.;)

Yup - I just successfully negotiated my way from 2 days a week to 4 with a nice increase in salary and scope of neuro practice.

The group I work with has been very open to teaching as well. Mind you, I've also worked my butt off learning on my own as well. Half of it is learning the patients and getting to know them - and then seeing what happens as their disease progresses.

It's well known that patients with chronic diseases do better with treatments and interventions from multiple disciplines -

I agree, think neuro!!

Guest peggiesmith

In light of the anticipated growth of this speciality - any interest in starting a neurology chapter within the AAPA??

• 8 months later...

i'm a new neuro pa fresh out of pa school. it has been a good 2.5 months, but was just wondering if anybody could provide me some advice on practicing. neurology is not covered in depth in pa school, so i often feel lost or worried that i may be missing something. does anybody have any advice on how to conquer this feeling? i want to be a damn good neuro pa! any advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks!

• 8 months later...

I wish there were more neuro PAs out there, especially experienced ones. I am a pre-pa student and I work for a clinic that does adult/peds neuro & sleep. We have put out many job postings and we have only gotten a few resumes from some new grads. I also have a practice opportunity not associated with my bosses. So there are at least two good opportunities in Orlando but we can't get even get a good resume!

We just opened a second office so we are tremendously busy. Our waiting list is too far out. We did consider training a new grad, but honestly we need someone to step in and be busy right away. Also, there are so many unknowns. Someone may think they like neuro and after a couple months they realize they don't and leave. Or the docs determine the new grad just doesn't have the skill set to be effective in neuro. Time and money wasted. Besides, we only got 5 resumes which is not a lot to choose from. It seems with the demand for PAs/NPs most already have jobs upon certification. I know our opportunity is good. We offer high pay, diversity of patients and disorders as we are peds/adult neuro & sleep, opportunity to learn to interpret diagnostics such as EMG/NCS, EEG, polysomnography at an accredited lab, urban setting (Orlando), our physicians are assistant professors of neuro at UCF College of Medicine, quite a bit of autonomy, etc. I think we offer a lot. It appears that there is just a larger demand than there are available mid-level providers.

Archived