Past classes showing as 'F' on transcripts. Its an error, but what if I can't fix it?

Guest betyv90701

Guest betyv90701

Long story short, I wanted to be an attorney once when I was younger. My first college experience was in Jan of 2000. I got in an car accident that semester and ended up not being able to complete my classes. My mother insists she went to the school to have me withdrawn from my classes. I never re-enrolled in school until years later (2007). Fast forward to now, I'm working on completing my CASPA application, ordered ALL my transcripts, and I get the transcripts from this school it says I have 3 F's!!!! These are supposed to be W's!!! It's Friday and I can't do anything at the moment to see if I can fix this. I have called the school and left a message on the Registrar Assistant's voice mail for a call back. I've called my mother and she still maintains that she spoke with the school to withdraw me, but never followed up on it. What if I am unable to correct this? How will this reflect on my application? I am afraid this will destroy my chances of getting into a PA program. :sadface:

Guest betyv90701

I have had very good grades since returning to school in 2007. I have mostly A's, over 3.5 cumulative gpa (minus these F's... haven't calculated out what my new gpa will be yet), and well over a 3.5 gpa in collective science courses. I was not aware of these grades until now because I moved out of state in 2003. When I went back to school in 2007, I never reported this school because I was a bit naive and uninformed at that point in my life. I was under the impression that the classes were dropped and did not count. I literally only went to school for about a month before I had to drop. The issue never came up, and the grades were not reflected in my gpa for me to know something was wrong. Silly, silly me. Man, if I only knew then what I know now! Lol!

Anyway, I spoke with my father (who lives where the school is located) and he said there may be a way for me to petition the school to change the grades. I have already called them and left a message (a polite one at that... which may have hinted an ounce of slight panic. Lol!). I do intend to pursue correcting this transcript. I am a single mom who is raising a physically disabled child on my own (both physically and financially) and has put herself through school. Everything I have done, I have done on my own. My blood, sweat and tears (not to mention my heart) are heavily invested in my pursuit of becoming a PA. It will be devastating to me if I am unable to pursue this thing through. I have worked so hard to get to this point. If anyone has any advice on how to approach the registrar on this issue, it is appreciated. Other than that, wish me luck everyone!

If anyone has any advice on how to approach the registrar on this issue, it is appreciated. Other than that, wish me luck everyone!

Just see what they say. I can say from personal experience that registrars usually aren't too accommodating but hopefully you'll have better luck. Three Fs will make applying more difficult but are not going to put an end to your PA pursuit. They are all isolated to one semester and you have a legitimate reason for getting them(although you or your mom should have followed up sooner to make sure they were dropped) so it won't hurt your app as much as it would otherwise. While the Fs are going to hurt your cGPA, CASPA breaks GPA down by year and it will be clear that it is only your freshman year that you had issues in. I suggest making only As from here on out. You can't afford 3.0s being averaged into your cGPA anymore.

Averaging three Fs into a 3.5 GPA, assuming you have 120sch, only brings it down to 3.25. So it's not ideal but it's not a drop that puts PA school out of your reach. An excellently written personal statement will help you overcome this.

Worst case senario.....if you cant get them changed.....I cant see Fs hurting you that bad from 11 years ago.....every place I inetrviewed at said nothing about my past grades....I think it was the simple fact that my current grades said enough.....if you had 3 current Fs then that would look far worse. If someone does ask I would simply tell them what happened and say that you did not verify that things were handled properly and that the situation has taught you that double checking is a neccessity....spin it around and show that you learned something from it. I applied to quite a few schools (most I didnt finish the application process for) of the schools I actually qualified for (8) I was given interviews with 5 declined an interview with 1 and accepted to 3

Archived