Fall 2012 - Interview, Acceptance, Waitlist, Rejection?

Soraya,

I too am waiting to hear back from them. I submitted my CASPA at the same time as my friend back in August. He received a rejection letter within a couple weeks of submitting his app. I haven't received anything except their confirmation email. They had told me that rejections letters would be going out till end of Dec. and interview letters would be going out starting Jan. I'm kind of getting anxious. I hope we both end up receiving good news from St. John's. Good luck!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soraya,

I too am waiting to hear back from them. I submitted my CASPA at the same time as my friend back in August. He received a rejection letter within a couple weeks of submitting his app. I haven't received anything except their confirmation email. They had told me that rejections letters would be going out till end of Dec. and interview letters would be going out starting Jan. I'm kind of getting anxious. I hope we both end up receiving good news from St. John's. Good luck!

No they didn't say how many people are enrolling but i was sent into a class room for observation, there were like at least 65 students so..... i was the only one that day. You guys can call and find out if you are on interview list.

Hey Jamisa,

did they say how many ppl they are enrolling this year?? How many were in you interview group? I still have not heard anything, IDK if they are still doing interviews.

No they didn't say how many people are enrolling but i was sent into a class room for observation, there were like at least 65 students so..... i was the only one that day. You guys can call and find out if you are on interview list.

Hey Jamisa,

did they say how many ppl they are enrolling this year?? How many were in you interview group? I still have not heard anything, IDK if they are still doing interviews.

so we can call them to see if we're on the interview list and they'll us over the phone?

so we can call them to see if we're on the interview list and they'll us over the phone?

Hello I am from St.Johns University PA program, here to answer a few peoples comments to clarify some things. 1) most students that make it in are from undergrad in the st.johns PA undergrad program, and they require only a 2.7 to be accepted unless they botch the interview that badly. 2) Mostly 3/4 of the class is from the undergrad St.johns program (that being the least, there could be up to 20 seats for transfers, or as little as 10 depending on how many reach the 2.7Gpa M/S and overall). 3)For the people who came in from the interview to see the class, yea theres bout 65-70 students, maybe a few more cause i never counted but we started in there as a group of 90 for out first semester in there. Mid-way through the semester some people failed and left the program because you can't continue into next semester if you fail a class so people who failed Clin med 1 from THE OTHER YEARS class came back to repeat it, making up for the downfall. Then after the first semester was over, 14 more people failed out of the program(some were tranfers, some where from the undergrad st johns program). Now in second semester. We are down to around the number you see in our class if you sat in after the interview.

To answer any other most likely up-coming questions.

-No I dont remember when people got their acceptance, but it takes them a while to answer

-There are 1500+ applicants that apply for transferring in(5-20 are usually accepted depending on students)

- If you have over a 3.0 M/S and overall im sure you have a chance, over 3.5, your good esp if with hce

- If you are under what is above, if its lower than 2.7 on any for the two i'm sorry idk your chances

-Health care experience(HCE)(shadow, or w.e) esp if over 1000hrs will rly help, but not required(don't take me up on this though), if you don't have any like I said its not required really but it really depends on your grades.

-If your not on the interview list, im sorry but the chance of acceptance is slim.

-Any other Q's I didn't answer just ask

I think they are in the process of sending out invitations for interviews. They have interview dates from now to early March, so keep your eyes glued to your mailbox :)

As for the interview itself, it was different from what I expected. Appointments are made, and it's one on one. They let you sit in on a class like some others have mentioned. This really lets you see how the students like the program and also how classes are conducted.

yes they mail the interview letter and provide you dates and u call them to schedule it as per availability. good luck, my interview was on jan 18th, still waiting for decision.

You interviewed about a month ago - did they tell you when you'll hear back? Are they going to notify you after all the interviews have been held?

Show that you know what a PA does. If you've done any shadowing, try to elaborate on what you saw (you know how they say 'don't recite what aapa has on their job description'...) and emphasize that 'team player' attitude. Also, think of something that would set you apart from other applicants (for me this was pretty hard because everyone is so qualified!).

If you have any questions, you'll get a chance to ask them. Finally, remember to thank your interviewer(s) with a card or something.

Good luck! I hope it helps!

Oh, also, I was early so there were a couple of students walking into the office looking for paper. They all said 'be yourself.' So, showcase how great of a person you are because you made it to the interview and that's a really big accomplishment considering how programs have over 700 applicants for a handful of slots. Relax, and be natural and speak honestly. :D Good luck!

You interviewed about a month ago - did they tell you when you'll hear back? Are they going to notify you after all the interviews have been held?

They said nothing to expect till mid march. So, just waiting, i have an interview in hofstra on march 9th so it works well for me.

Archived