Which branch?

Hello All, I am about to finish PA school and am looking to join the military and serve my country as a reserve in addition to a residency. I have been trying to reach my local recruiters, but they are harder to reach than I thought. Also, I know that each recruiter will be promising many things, that may or may not be true (sorry, no offense, but I have had some terrible experiences with recruiters), and I am hoping to get some experienced opinions. Specifically, I am wondering which branch of the military to join and why.

Thanks for any wisdom you can offer.

Here is what I know

Army--easy to get in. Has plenty of bonus money. Expect to be deployed to Afghanistan / Iraq

Navy--not easy. low attrition rate. Also has good money. Expect to be attached to a marine unit = see above

Air Force--admittedly not very familiar but what I know similar to the army in terms of money

Public Health Service Commisioned Corps (bet you didn't think them! wink)- Easy to get in, may or may not have bonus money. Odds are you will not be deployed. work in the BOP (berau of prisions), US Coast Guard.

Good Luck,

Dog

There are specialties within both the AF and Army. Current specialties include: Surgery, Ortho, Emer Med, and a couple others. I know the AF is talking of adding Psychiatry and they now have added 50+ Flight Medicine/Aerospace slots.

Talk to a recruiter and/or shadow a PA from each service to get a feel of the quality of life and mission objective each service provides. Each service has its own mission to meet it's needs(is battlefield for Army, AF Primary care etc...)

I wouldnt assume that if I were you....there are women deployed who need GYN services.......

Keep in mind that you are still trained as a generalist and could be used as such....just because you specialize you can be used in different areas unlike MDs who get locked in

Also from talking to a recruiter you can say where you would like to specialize but its still the needs of the branch and that comes before your desires

I am interested in doing the same following graduation, but I am interested in ob/gyn primarily. Do they this specialty and is it in demand? I am assuming i'll probably not be deployed if this is where I end up? Is it better to apply right after for before graduation?

2010PA...where did you get your info on PAs working in flight medicine in the AF?

Let me find where I found that info. And I may be incorrect on Flight Med being currently available to PAs. I know it has been discussed. Let me do some digging.

Archived