First Major PA Program Decision

Hello!

So I have been  blessed with the opportunity to begin to choose between some very good PA programs. My first major decision is going to be whether to go to Tufts PA Program or wait for other programs that start in the summer/fall (Emory and JMU). I could use some input from others.

Tufts

Pros: 

- Cheaper than Emory and JMU

- Starts in January and is a 25 Month program. This would get me out and to work 6-7 months before JMU and a year before Emory

- Great location and staff seems very supportive

- Located near a medical school with a GREAT name

- Loved the online books and exams

Cons

- Newer program with provisional accreditation. First year PANCE 100%, got the sense that they will be full accredited soon. Still could be a bumpy ride

- Did not have an absolutely amazing experience at the interview (compared to Emory)

- Spent A LOT of money on application process and wouldn't get to save some more money (need to buy a car) before class begins

- Boyfriend attempting to get into Med School in same location.

- Have an interview at Duke, may not hear back from them before I need to make this decision.

Emory

Pros:

- EXCELLENT interview experience. Loved the family atmosphere and the staff. Students genuinely happy and love the school

- Program legacy/ranking

- Like the idea of being in Atlanta. Warm, near the CDC, courses taught by some of the most knowledgeable people in their field, loved the area

- Like the farm worker project and other giving back opportunities. This school has a lot of amazing opportunities. 

- More time to make decisions and save money before classes start

Cons

- COST!!! 29 month program adds another semester worth of debt and delay in entry to the work force

James Madison

Pros

- Beautiful area. Harrisonburg is also close to boyfriend's family. 

- Smaller class size (JMU 32, Emory 54, Tufts 50)

- Lower cost of living

- Program has been around a while

- More time to make decisions (Duke interview soon)

Cons

- Not near directly affiliated with a hospital 

- Also long program length (28 months)

Any input would be great.

Thanks

• Administrator

The lack of specific hospital affiliation didn't matter to my program.

Shorter may mean more compressed, tougher, and with less downtime (e.g. breaks between terms).

You want to start off in a place that you're comfortable with, because if you don't like the faculty and peers, you're already behind the curve, before the pressure cooker lid even shuts.  That is to say, I highly recommend you factor your interview experience strongly into your decision.

Most not-already-married relationships in my class didn't survive school, so I would recommend you ignore your BF and do what's best for you.

The lack of specific hospital affiliation didn't matter to my program.

Shorter may mean more compressed, tougher, and with less downtime (e.g. breaks between terms).

You want to start off in a place that you're comfortable with, because if you don't like the faculty and peers, you're already behind the curve, before the pressure cooker lid even shuts.  That is to say, I highly recommend you factor your interview experience strongly into your decision.

Most not-already-married relationships in my class didn't survive school, so I would recommend you ignore your BF and do what's best for you.

I couldn't agree more with rev ronin on this one, especially that last line. It's your education, it's okay to be selfish. That said, do solidify your personal relationships outside of the program because PA school will test it. 

Edit: Also, OP, is Tufts requiring you to have a car during your first year? I ask because having a car in Boston can cost you an arm or a leg. Even though it has its issues, public transportation into and out of the city is quite extensive so you probably won't need a car before rotations.  

Really this is a decision that only you can make.  You've gotten some good feedback thus far.  I will second (third) the notion that you should make this decision regardless of where your BF may or may not go.  PA school is 2-3 years and contrary to previous statements, several couples in my class are doing very well, both living together and long distance, so it can be done.

Also, it sounds like Tufts is the only offer you have at this point, so I hope you've accepted that seat.  I can't speak for Emory, but JMU does rolling admissions so if you are interviewing there you will know in about 2 weeks if you are in/out/waitlisted.  So that may give you an answer before you'd start Tufts.  I can't remember how Duke did theirs - I think you also get an answer relatively soon unless you are waitlisted in which you could have to wait until the spring to learn your final fate.

Because the interview/acceptance process varies for all schools, it is not unheard of for people to give up their seat right before a program starts.  So what I'm saying is you could drop Tufts up to the start date (with some potential loss in deposits) if one of your other schools offers you a spot before then.  The big caveat here is moving/apt situations which depends on your living location and situation.

Bottom line, going somewhere is better than going nowhere.  You still have time to get some other offers before Tufts starts, but personally I wouldn't turn down Tufts without having another offer in hand because that could result in reapplying next year.

Tufts was also the first school i got into. Even though this program is relatively new, their first year PANCE pass rate and great location show that they have a lot of potential to be a well regarded program in the future. I agree that I also didn't have the greatest interview experience there, but i was still very impressed with what they had to say and offer. i also think the early start in January is a HUGE factor--that's a year of potential salary!

Ultimately, i turned down my interviews for rutgers and yale (my original first choice) to attend tufts. It was not an easy decision though. 

Archived