Over all application chances?

Hi all, I'm extremely nervous about my application and am wondering what others may think. The weakest part of my application is an overall GPA of 3.03, which is touched upon in my narrative. HCE, I have 900 hours from 7 years ago as an EMT. GRE I did very well with Q165, V160, and AW4.5. I'm pretty certain my narrative is very strong, as it has gone through many drafts with several people's opinions along the way. LOR I'm also pretty certain are very strong and positive. In short, 7 of my last 8 grades are A's, and the other is a B, this includes several upper sciences. CASPA doesn't forgive earlier mistakes in calculating GPA, what do you think my odds of an interview are? Thanks.

Hi all, I'm extremely nervous about my application and am wondering what others may think. The weakest part of my application is an overall GPA of 3.03, which is touched upon in my narrative. HCE, I have 900 hours from 7 years ago as an EMT. GRE I did very well with Q165, V160, and AW4.5. I'm pretty certain my narrative is very strong, as it has gone through many drafts with several people's opinions along the way. LOR I'm also pretty certain are very strong and positive. In short, 7 of my last 8 grades are A's, and the other is a B, this includes several upper sciences. CASPA doesn't forgive earlier mistakes in calculating GPA, what do you think my odds of an interview are? Thanks.

Hey SethKr,

First and formost, don't listen to the ney sayers.  They have no more insight than anyone else.  Chances are they haven't even been accepted to a school yet either.  Unfortunately, this website is full of trolls and misinformation!  Unless you are on the adcom for the schools that you are applying to, then I can honestly say that NOBODY has any Idea as to  what is required for admission to their specific program.  Bottom line, I say  GO FOR IT!!!!

Hey SethKr,

First and formost, don't listen to the ney sayers. They have no more insight than anyone else. Chances are they haven't even been accepted to a school yet either. Unfortunately, this website is full of trolls and misinformation! Unless you are on the adcom for the schools that you are applying to, then I can honestly say that NOBODY has any Idea as to what is required for admission to their specific program. Bottom line, I say GO FOR IT!!!!

I appreciate your positive encouragement. I sent out my applications a few weeks ago. I'm applying to get in, and will be working a second almost full time job for additional HCE just in case. Thanks.

Hey SethKr,

First and formost, don't listen to the ney sayers. They have no more insight than anyone else. Chances are they haven't even been accepted to a school yet either. Unfortunately, this website is full of trolls and misinformation! Unless you are on the adcom for the schools that you are applying to, then I can honestly say that NOBODY has any Idea as to what is required for admission to their specific program. Bottom line, I say GO FOR IT!!!!

Or we have been accepted. It's also not hard to look at a school's average stats and get a good feel. Based on my classmates, I can tell you that a 3.0 with <1000 hrs HCE wouldn't get an interview at my school. Like I said, it depends on where OP applied. We aren't nay sayers, but OP asked and we are just being realistic. It's great to have goals but the fact is that not everyone will get interviews, it's just a numbers game.

Could OP get an interview? Of course! Odds of getting one, though....?

• Administrator

Unfortunately, this website is full of trolls and misinformation!

Well, yes, you're going to get multiple opinions on any question that requires individual assessment, but your statement here is pejorative and applies more to you than any of the other posters you seem to be rebutting.  The OP got some very realistic advice, with concrete advice for improvement.  If he hadn't applied yet, you would just have encouraged him to spend hundreds of dollars on a longshot for admission this year.

If you want to give people encouragement, please do so without denigrating other posters who appear to have given sound advice on his application's weaknesses and methods to improve them.--to wit, HCE and GPA are both on the low end, and chances of acceptance go up as either or both of those are improved.

Hey SethKr,

I'm not sure what would be the point of asking for advice or an assessment if you are going to ignore all advice that suggests you may have some negatives. E.g ignoring the nay sayers. If you believe the forum is full of trolls and misinformation, why do you bother to participate? Anyone applying for PA school should be smart enough to parse the responses and decide for themselves what is and isn't helpful. I have seen, and received some very helpful advice on the forum. If you want to be the self appointed cheerleader, that's fine but "go for it" is hardly a strategy.

I'm not sure what would be the point of asking for advice or an assessment if you are going to ignore all advice that suggests you may have some negatives. E.g ignoring the nay sayers. If you believe the forum is full of trolls and misinformation, why do you bother to participate? Anyone applying for PA school should be smart enough to parse the responses and decide for themselves what is and isn't helpful. I have seen, and received some very helpful advice on the forum. If you want to be the self appointed cheerleader, that's fine but "go for it" is hardly a strategy.

I had already submitted my application to several programs when I started the thread. Also, I now realize I should have been more specific in my question. I believe that aside from my overall GPA and HCE, I have a very strong application. My recent grades are excellent, as are my GRE scores. I'll still be doing what I can to improve my chances for next cycle, but am hopeful that based on the overall application I can score an interview. Again, I appreciate all the input.

Archived