procedure credentialling/privileging process? numbers needed?

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, I just started an EM residency and a big reason for me doing this was to get as much experience doing advanced procedures as possible.  Of course, I am still unsure of how exactly the credentialling process works?  Do I just show the hiring hospital my procedure log and if it meets a certain number, they will give me the go-ahead?  Or are the required numbers standard statewide/nationally?  I've tried looking this up and asking people but haven't found a clear answer.

For reference, I am on an anesthesia rotation now and have gotten approximately 20 mannequin practice intubations (yes, they tell us to log these), 40ish real patient intubations, and maybe 30 LMAs.  The rotation ended today and I have 1.5 weeks off, but I could easily go in to the OR some off days to get more if there is a certain threshold that will ensure my credentialling requirements will be met.  I know that 40 intubations is NOT enough to be fully competent / independent in managing airways (they say it takes 200+ to be a solid intubator), but I hope it would atleast be enough to get me credentialled so that I can do the procedure under supervision when I am out in practice so that I can keep getting better.  Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SN

• 2 weeks later...

Depends greatly on where you work.  Seems like some of the (very) rural places I do locums at will give credentials to anyone with a pulse.  "Oh, you watched an intubation on you-tube after graduating from NP school?  Okay, sign here, you can do them."  

as above, it varies. at one of my jobs I had to get the EM CAQ and take a fairly rigorous facility specific written test to do procedural sedation. at another place it was a 10 question online test and at another it was just assumed that I could do it. 

Keep those logs you're generating just in case, but I didn't have to show my old procedure logs from residency for my current job, and the only thing I can't do is central lines.  Now that they're talking about letting a few of us do central lines, procedure logs don't seem to play any part in that

Archived