New Grad EM Offer

what part of the country do you live in that all these 1099 jobs are popping up? it's unheard of in my neck of the woods to have a full time job in em without benefits. even at my 2 per diem jobs I get malpractice and 1 of them also covers state licensing.

both jobs would be fine if they provided full benefits. speaking only for myself, I would never take a full time job that didn't provide full bennies. others feel differently here, but the cost of malpractice (6k+/yr), insurance, retirement, disability, etc can be 20-25 bucks/hr....

if you HAD to pick 1 I would go with job B if they can guarantee you a min # of shifts/mo and something in writing that you will be considered for a benefited position within 1 year.

Just heard IRS is once again cracking down on 1099 positions

not a lot of liability to you the employee- huge liability to the employer in terms of $$

BUT you have to get about 30% more to cover the bennies...... I have not heard the employer winning this case even once.... they schedule you, they provide the equipment and staff, and most recently the IRS said if they control you like and employee then you are an employee

so.....

I will let other advise on the specifics, but A is not a kosher job in the eyes of the IRS  (and honestly the offer stinks as a 1099 - 112k - 33% for bennies means you are looking at about a 74k/yr offer AND you get all the tax head aches and loss of other bennnies)

EMEDPA, I am in southeast US.

I should have mentioned--malpractice coverage is included for both positions.

The lure for Job B is the potential for it to become FT. Based on my interview, I feel as though they are hesitant to offer anything more than prn at this point because I am a new grad.

I am going to schedule an appointment with a CPA regarding Job A--just based on reading the IRS' definition of what constitutes a 1099, I would not be considered one as you have pointed out, ventana.

Thank you both very much for your input, I will take all that I can get :)

Archived