Does ACLS count towards CME hours?

• Administrator

Yes. Somewhere I recall reading 7 CME hours, but contact hours are closer to 12. Recerts are less, obviously. I'd consider checking hospital websites for professional education--I don't know about NY, but that's how I found a PALS class to fit my schedule locally in Portland.

You register certification courses just as you do CME with NCCPA.net. You just go into the certification section. They are category 1 hours. From my own record, here are the hours: ALSO 17, ACLS 10, PALS 16, ATLS 19, BDLS 7.5. Hope this helps.

did you enjoy ALSO?

I'm taking it for the first time in sept.

I LOVED it. ALSO is advanced life support in obstetrics. Took it in Arizona with 3rd-year residents who were all from the same hospital. It was very well taught and extremely interesting. It is sponsored by the American Academy of Family Physicians, so it has a primary care take on it. I work in remote areas and knew that I needed to understand how to step up should an emergency in delivery ever arise. It was one of the better certification classes I have taken.

That's awesome. I love the feeling you get when you you take a challanging CME class and you really learn somthing that affects the way you practice.

2 years ago I took the Difficult Airway Course that Dr. Ron Walls teaches. It was amazing. 3 days of world class Emed guys teaching critical airway maintainence skills.It really changed the way that I look at and manage airways. I'm actually taking the Heart Course that Dr. Walls teaches next week. 3 days of Emed cardiology. What sucks is I don't think any of the physician level CME counts toward my paramedic liscense...

What are some of the other REALLY good CME classes people have taken? I think my most enjoyable were FCCS (fundamentals of critical care support), ATLS, and the Airway Course. I plan on taking the Pedi FCCS class later this year, depending on my schedule.

Any others out there I should look for??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
At NCCPA website, ACLS is listed as one of the preapproved Cat I certification program and worth 8-16 credit hours. How do we decide the exact cr. hrs? Can we claim 16 cr hrs for initial cert?

Since the initial course is 16 hours and renewal is 8, that would make sense. However, be sure to not claim more than actuals--my recent ACLS class (admittedly, given only to PA students who'd already passed cardiology, so we didn't need much rhythm review) only went about 13 hours total.

Archived