Question about interview invites

• Administrator

Varies from school-to-school, but typically the most compelling candidates are invited first--that is, the ones the school suspects will be snatched up by other programs if a quick offer isn't forthcoming. Other candidates are invited to interview later, but aren't necessarily at a disadvantage.

Some schools interview all those who meet their criteria. For example, if GPA requirement is 3.5 then everyone with 3.5 and above (plus other requirements of course) will be interviewed. 

Some schools interview all those who meet their criteria. For example, if GPA requirement is 3.5 then everyone with 3.5 and above (plus other requirements of course) will be interviewed.

I must say that I didn't find that to be the case ... and I would be amazed if it were so in recent years. Given that most schools are receiving 20-30 applicants for every open seat they have, and a few schools reported that only ~10% of the applicants didn't meet the minimum reqs, there's just no way they could effectively interview that many applicants. The last few years the programs I considered (which were many!) were only interviewing 3-5 applicants for each seat in a cohort. I was extremely flexible in my pursuit for admission so I at least considered almost every program in existence the last two years. Couldn't apply to all that many of course, but I did research all that were masters level and used CASPA.

Archived