Sciences classes that have lab but no credit?

I've attempted to read through some similar threads, but none seem to address my specific issue at hand.

I have already attended a 4 year university and received a bachelor of science. While there I was able to knock out a good chunk of my pre-reqs as they were required for my major or I chose to take them on my own. Our biology department, however, sets up certain classes in a rather odd way, that seems to be to a disadvantage to me. Three of my classes are impacted by this- Human A&P 1, Human A&P 2, and Microbiology. While in the course description it clearly states that it has a lab (and I can attest to that as I took the courses and sat through the lab portions and have the syllabi as well), all three courses are only 3 credits, and it is not a case where the lecture is 3 credits and the lab is 1 credit. 3 credits total for the classes. A handful of schools list these classes as needing to be 3-4 credits, but some explicitly state 4. Now while I know this may seem like a trivial detail, it seems to me that it often is the trivial details that can make or break an applicant. 

So, what's the best course of action? Is it something I can clarify/mention in my CASPA application?  When I was unsure about some other details about classes I emailed the schools, but I wasn't sure if that was my best route to go with this only because like I said, it's a trivial detail, and I'm afraid some schools may just brush it off or think it is a dumb question. I would just rather be safe than sorry. 

Ask the schools that require 4 credits. It's the only way to know for sure. They may require that you take another course to get that 4th credit or they may just want a copy of the course syllabus to confirm it covers the same topics other 4 credit courses cover. You probably don't want to mention it in your app because schools that only require 3 won't care.

As noted it will vary from school to school, but most will be worried primarily about course content. You best bet is to contact the schools you intend to apply to and be prepared to send them a course description and/or course syllabus.

We have accepted applicants from places that have non-traditional credit and grading systems and they have been fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived