Help picking which school to attend???

I've been accepted to two PA programs and would like input regarding how to choose which to attend. I'd prefer input from practicing PA's and any hindsight you can offer, however, any input is appreciated.

How important is the first-time PANCE pass rate? How much did clinical rotations help you land your first job? Specifically, one school has a better 5-year PANCE pass rate, and is in a state where cost of living is much lower. However, the program assigns all of the rotation sites within the state (mostly rural areas) and I do not anticipate living or practicing there after graduation. The other school is close to the region I would like to work in and allows students to rotate to surrounding states where I would eventually like to practice, but the first-time pass rate is 87 or 88%. What should I do?

I'd recommend going to the "other" school; where u wanna work after school. This way you can make contacts & have local references!

Also you have to like the feel of the school u attend. Which 1 will help u if u r having trouble?

Best of Luck! B happy some pre-pa's would be extremely jealous 2 hav a school 2 go 2!

pance rate is more about the students than the school. I've known great students at poor programs and poor students at great programs. pance rates for these students was predictable...

go to the "other" program.

quality rotations are key to a good future job.

• 3 months later...

Just wonderinf if a practicing PA could help me out. I have been accepted to a certificate PA program that offers a masters in medical science if your coming in with a BS(i have a bs and would be doing the masters portion) and I have been accepted to USC PA program which offers a masters in PA studies. The certificate program will leave me with next to nothing in loans while USC would be expensive. My question is how important do you think the school name is in obtaining employment and opportunities in the PA field. I need to make a decision very quickly. Thanks.

Just wonderinf if a practicing PA could help me out. I have been accepted to a certificate PA program that offers a masters in medical science if your coming in with a BS(i have a bs and would be doing the masters portion) and I have been accepted to USC PA program which offers a masters in PA studies. The certificate program will leave me with next to nothing in loans while USC would be expensive. My question is how important do you think the school name is in obtaining employment and opportunities in the PA field. I need to make a decision very quickly. Thanks.

You sort of answered your own question, imo ... you'll have a Master's either way, and be a PA-C. You've got all the bases covered, and honestly, that's all anyone will see is that you have a Master's, not what it's in. My Master's is in Health Sciences, even though it was in Physician Assistant Studies ... but it's still a M.H.S. My degree title reads, MHS, PA-C. I would avoid the loans.

I've been accepted to two PA programs and would like input regarding how to choose which to attend. I'd prefer input from practicing PA's and any hindsight you can offer, however, any input is appreciated.

How important is the first-time PANCE pass rate? How much did clinical rotations help you land your first job? Specifically, one school has a better 5-year PANCE pass rate, and is in a state where cost of living is much lower. However, the program assigns all of the rotation sites within the state (mostly rural areas) and I do not anticipate living or practicing there after graduation. The other school is close to the region I would like to work in and allows students to rotate to surrounding states where I would eventually like to practice, but the first-time pass rate is 87 or 88%. What should I do?

I'm going to disagree with the others. I rotated completely on the East Coast and it hasn't made a whit of difference out here on the West Coast. Yes, I was offered work on a couple of those rotations, but I wouldn't have wanted to take them up on it. Rotations come and go quickly. I've had so many job offers out here that I've had to turn down interviews.

I think first-time pass rate on PANCE says a lot about a program. Something else you might want to look at are the program manuals, if they're online. Check out the structure formats, see if you can get a better idea through those of which will work better for you. As mainiac mentioned, check out their support systems.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel that becoming a PA-C with as little extra heartache and financial burden is important to consider. Clinical rotations are great for finding out what you do and do not want in your first job. Rural rotations are fun and may give you different perspective on medicine that that which you would get from working in town.

Consider these points:

1) Which program is the best fit for you? What is(are) the Atmosphere, library, students like? Which felt the best? Do they have their stuff together? Talk to current students.

2) How much is it going to cost? Assuming you get certified at the end of your time there, the main thing you'll have after you graduate is your school loan.

3) First time PANCE pass rates are important. This is your ultimate goal.

4) Master's degrees are nice to have. The type is rarely important.

Depends on where you want to work. If you want to work at USC affiliates then go to USC. If you want a gig at RCRMC and Riverside DHS affiliates go to Moreno Valley. Stanford or UCD affiliates same thing. IMHO in California it doesn't matter when you look elsewhere. Just be good at what you do there will be a job somewhere.

Archived