Retake GRE?

I took the GRE in April, didn't prepare like I should have (didn't actually study at all), and got a 303 (153V and 150Q and 4.0W). I was content to use this score for applying but I have decided to apply to a few programs that have much higher average GRE scores..... I'm just worried that my GRE score is going to be the thing that keeps me from getting in.. Any advice? Suck it up, drop the extra money, take it? Or apply with my current score...?

Thanks for any advice!

I took the GRE in April, didn't prepare like I should have (didn't actually study at all), and got a 303 (153V and 150Q and 4.0W). I was content to use this score for applying but I have decided to apply to a few programs that have much higher average GRE scores.... (Yale, Duke, Baylor). Other than the GRE I feel that I have a pretty strong application ~3.7 uGPA and similar sGPA, ~3,000H healthcare experience, ~2,000H patient care, ~3100H research, ~300H volunteering, and 40H shadowing... I'm just worried that my GRE score is going to be the thing that keeps me from getting in.. Any advice? Suck it up, drop the extra money, take it? Or apply with my current score...?

Thanks for any advice!

From what I've heard Magoosh.com is a great site to help people improve their score. I have been using it to study and its been so much more helpful than the books I skimmed through before taking the test the first time I did. The first score I got was horrible I think it was around 148 Q and 149 V. I just took a couple practice tests on Magoosh and scored 159 Q and 154 V. I can't say how accurate the scores are as I haven't officially retaken the test but I've heard the math is pretty spot on (some people say its harder than the actual test). I think the GRE is the quickest, easiest way to improve your app so I would recommend giving it a shot!

I've utilized Magoosh for the GRE prep and it's been extremely helpful. They give you tons of practice questions, videos for all the content and for all the practice questions. Above all, it was really reasonable (99 for like 6 months) as compared to like Kaplan (2000 bucks?). I take it next Thursday so I'll see how it goes. I'd try magoosh. Best of luck

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to use the magoosh website and give it another shot.

Let me know how you guys do and if you see any improvement after using the site :) Best of luck to you both!! ☺️

Magoosh is awesome! I'm following the one month study plan right now. If you are pressed on time, I would suggest you look at their different study plans. 

Archived