#TalkPay Would this benefit our profession?

This hashtag is sweeping twitter and showing inequality in the IT and software development world

Would this benefit our profession considering the AAPA is rather light on responses?

Most other surveys are below 1000 responses so its not even forth mentioning

When the salary survey from the AAPA is viewed there are several things employers can use to shoot holes in it.

First, the salary survey that is currently out is for 2013, 2+ years ago.

So if a job seeker is using that data, it is old.

This is a dynamic economy and healthcare is a dynamic industry.

We need more than a 2 yr old salary survey.

Physicians update on a yearly basis and there is clearer insight into their ranges.

So an employer could actually use the AAPA salary against you, especially using the percentiles. They can tell you that a primary care clinician in Ohio makes x amount and that is their offer based upon the 25% or the 50%. But what puts one at that percentile?

The benefits in the salary survey can also work against you. If it is common that PAs get $2k for CME a year and an applicant asks for 3k or 5k, the employer can shoot you down there.

Then there are the numbers. I am not a statistics guy but it is apparent that the AAPA has adjusted what it is able to categorize for information due to decreased sample size. Is the survey still valid when participants are dwindling?

An applicant wants their organization dues covered, wants DEA paid for. According to survey, not 100%, gives employer an out if they choose.

Financially pressured healthcare employers will cut and trim everywhere if left to their own devices.

Confidentiality concerning salaries only helps one entity, the employer. It is a tool used to prey upon professionals, isolate them from each other.

Then throw in gender differences concerning pay. They persist everywhere and I am going to assume in our profession with a hefty percentage being female that there are some distinct differences. Why? Cause no one talks to each other.

Last, few employers are in place to 'take care' of their employees. Look at the cost sharing of health benefits and the move from pensions to defined contribution plans and dropping employer contributions during financial downtimes. Add to that negative growth in real income over the last decade. Makes me want to vote for Bernie. 

I have said this in the past. I think the base salary regardless of region for any PA should be minimum $100k, new grad or not. There should be base $5k CME every year. From that number then adjust for experience and specialty.

Call it the Hundred and 5 movement.

Hashtag that sh%t.

G Brothers PA-C

Guest Paula

Ok, I get it and agree.  New hires in my organization no matter the years of experience start at the same rate just under $101,000, guaranteed salary for 2 years.  Just had a convo about this with the other new hire (NP) who has been on board now for a month, and me for 2 months.  We both took cuts to pay  to come to the organization.  I was salaried at my old job at $118,400 and she got a base pay of $100,000 plus production so she made about $117,000 per year. 

Three PAs I talked to in the org all told me I will easily exceed my $18,000 loss of income within 6-9 months and if I meet the median then will get switched for production only.  The quoted salaries from the others were anywhere from $130,000 - $160,000.  We are in FP and Internal Med.  

Of course, the more I see, the more I produce, the more I make, the more they want me to produce so I will make them more money to pay all the salaries of all the people we have to hire to keep this PCMH and ACO going.  That is another story.

The NP asked me why I opened up my schedule for 20, 40 and 60 minutes slots instead of 30 and 60 slots most of the other NPs have.  She realized we were on guaranteed so why work so hard?  Then I told her the potential and her eyes bugged out and we will be talking again soon, I'm sure.

I must be a money grubber.  LOL!

However, the compensation plan will be changing by the end of 2016 with value based payments so I have no idea if that means less pay or more, but I need to get back to my baseline and hopefully make even more in 2016, then will be getting much closer to pulling the plug for retirement. 

#100 and 5. 

Confidentiality concerning salaries only helps one entity, the employer. It is a tool used to prey upon professionals, isolate them from each other.

Then throw in gender differences concerning pay. They persist everywhere and I am going to assume in our profession with a hefty percentage being female that there are some distinct differences. Why? Cause no one talks to each other.

Hashtag that sh%t.

G Brothers PA-C

My girlfriend was recently was spoken to harshly by her superiors for sharing her income and benefits with a fellow coworker. This university was paying her friend almost 15% less and gave her a lesser title but she was essentially doing the same work as other people in their office. According to the school, sharing salary information among each other gives people the wrong impression and expectation for increases in pay because they don't know the full responsibilities of the person getting paid higher than they are, the only thing is, everybody knows exactly what the other person duties are as they are included in job postings online. 

Whenever I go to interviews, its me vs. this company's entire HR department, I want to know as much as I can when it comes to benefits and salary. Publicly posting salaries helps decrease pay disparity and increase fairness in other areas in the long run.

Ok, I get it and agree.  New hires in my organization no matter the years of experience start at the same rate just under $101,000, guaranteed salary for 2 years.  Just had a convo about this with the other new hire (NP) who has been on board now for a month, and me for 2 months.  We both took cuts to pay  to come to the organization.  I was salaried at my old job at $118,400 and she got a base pay of $100,000 plus production so she made about $117,000 per year.

Wow, and here I am thinking $90k is fair. What state and specialty?

Guest Paula

Wow, and here I am thinking $90k is fair. What state and specialty?

Wisconsin.  Family Practice and Internal Medicine.  Northern area and underserved.  Salaries probably higher here than in Madison or Milwaukee because we have a difficult time finding providers (PA/NP/physicians) who want to stay here for a long period of time.  ER/UC PAs get a standard salary too, I think it is around $118,000 to start.  This is just in my organization.  Other competitors in the area pay less, I believe. My practice gives us all the starting salary information and we all start at the same rate depending on our specialty.  Surgical PAs start out same at ER/UC.  

Wanna move here?

Guest Paula

Hell yeah I'd live in Wisconsin.  It's beautiful country up there, lots of fishing. Denver is a great place to live in many ways but the overpopulation and job market saturation is a big issue. Gotta put in some more time at my current job though.

Send me a pm when you are ready to move.  I'll send you the link to the job openings in my area. 

My girlfriend was recently was spoken to harshly by her superiors for sharing her income and benefits with a fellow coworker. This university was paying her friend almost 15% less and gave her a lesser title but she was essentially doing the same work as other people in their office. According to the school, sharing salary information among each other gives people the wrong impression and expectation for increases in pay because they don't know the full responsibilities of the person getting paid higher than they are, the only thing is, everybody knows exactly what the other person duties are as they are included in job postings online. 

Whenever I go to interviews, its me vs. this company's entire HR department, I want to know as much as I can when it comes to benefits and salary. Publicly posting salaries helps decrease pay disparity and increase fairness in other areas in the long run.

So the caveat here is loose lips sink ships.

If you are going to share salary, make sure everyone is on the same page about sharing the source, dont throw people under the bus in the chase for more money. They did you a favor sharing, dont sh*t on their generosity.

But again, this is a divisive tactic that benefits the supervisor, HR or the employer.

Invariably, you will be asked whom locally told you about salary.

Quote local and regional sources ie I spoke to several PAs in the area working in the same specialty and this is the median I came up with.

The correct verbiage is:

I have had the opportunity to review my job description and compare it locally with similar jobs here and in the region. The salary I am paid is 10% less than the median of $x commanded by others in a like position. In light of that disparity, what is the plan to bring me in line with my peers?

And then shut up. No whining, no blurting out what others told you, calm and professional wins the day.

If not, then you know you work for a bunch of pr7cks and you should plan your exit strategy.

You. Owe. Them. Nothing.

Will this always work? No. But this is about raising all ships across the board, there will be a cumulative benefit that will occur over time.

Yet what is an ocean but a multitude of drops?

17 years EM, solo coverage for 14.

121k for 1600 hours

Admin stipend and OT got me to 146k last year.

3k for CME

#100and5

GB PA-C

Guest Paula

^^^ I agree and am taking water painting classes all summer, once  a week.  The opportunity to paint and create makes me so happy!!!!!!

So, in response to FSUnoles, it, at least, couldn't hurt. It would be most useful if everyone would chime in so that if you are, say, a PA with 2 years experience out of school in the Denver area, interviewing for a new job in UC, you might have two or three tweets from others with basically the same experience in the same job in the same city. If the responses are light, however, you might only end up with a tweet from a new grad in Florida, one from an orthopaedic PA in New York with 20 years and one from a urology PA in AK with two years experience. Not too useful, but you probably already knew that.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Archived