Wise to take gross anatomy during summer?

I start PA school in the fall and was debating whether to retake an A&P course to brush up on my anatomy or to take a gross anatomy course to prepare myself for the intense didactic year.

I feel like gross anatomy would be a better option so I would fully understand the clinical anatomy that I'll have to take my first semester of PA school rather than feeling like I'm behind. However, I've heard gross anatomy is brutal and it won't be any easier during a rushed summer semester.

Would anyone recommend I take it in the summer or should I jusf retake an A&P course? It's been a couple of years since I took A&P. Does anyone have any experience of similar scenarios?

I was considering taking a few basic classes online, and I have some review books that I bought on Amazon - a little pharmacology, cardiology, anatomy, etc. 

I also have the anatomy coloring book :) makes reviewing more "fun". 

But I can understand where you're coming from - I probably will end up taking a class... it's been like 3-4 years since I had anatomy. Or a pathophysiology class. 

I was considering doing the same thing.. I enjoy school as it is and I figure I would rather be proactive when I have a little down time because I"m sure once I get started in PA school I am going to be extremely stressed.. why not doing a little extra work now and not be so stressed the first semester.

You'll be stressed no matter what you do to prepare.

If it were me (and I guess it was, once upon a time), I'd take a patho class if I hadn't ever had one. It's the core of most of the didactic year. Anatomy is important and it will be hard for many students but I think you could probably study it on your own before schools starts.

Regardless of what you do, it will be like a light jog compared to the marathon of PA school. 

Good luck!

Check your PA school curriculum. If A&P is only a semester long (and happens to also be crammed into the first semester) I'd take gross if I were you. It may help you acclimate better the first semester, and just my personal opinion, I don't think one semester of A&P is enough.

I think you should go for it. I took two cadaver anatomy classes at my community college and the experience was incredible. Anything you do to prepare for PA school will be of benefit when you are living and breathing medicine for 1 year. 

Holy smokes, you've got access to a great CC.  And I would do this in a heartbeat, too, if I had access to a CC with it.

Archived