State Department

Just wondering if anyone is working for/has worked for or know someone who has worked for the State Department as a Foreign Service Health Officer. I would like to do this in the future and am currently working in the ICU. I know they like 2 years family practice but was wondering if anyone had any info on the best background to have before applying. Thanks!

Howdy!

I, too, have been interested in this. I began a thread on it last year, but it got hijacked about politics, and unfortunately it didn't reap much fruit:

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/showthread.php/27468-Anyone-working-for-the-U.S.-State-Department-as-a-Health-Practitioner-PA?highlight=

I did find a blog online, written by an NP working in this role:

http://npworldview.blogspot.com/

And here's a forum you can submit questions directly to people who work for the state dept. (haven't gotten much response myself, though)

http://careers.state.gov/engage/forums

I'm very interested in hearing anyone's personal accounts. I am graduating this summer, and I am debating whether or not to start with 2 years of underserved or remote primary care experience to set myself up for US State Dept FSHO.

Cheers,

Chad

I, too, am interested in working for the State Dept. I agree that it's hard to find much information. That looks like a great blog as far as learning about the day-to-day life of a State Dept PA/NP. I want that lady's career!

Like Eventide said, I think working in primary care and/or rural health is the first step toward getting one of these jobs.

Does anyone have any idea how competitive these jobs are? Is it the kind of thing where you have to know someone or score in the top 1% on a civil service exam or something?

My wife, her sister, and her brother grew up traveling with the State Department as their dad was attached. Made for some very interesting stories and experiences. From down home Indiana to middle of India and meeting Mother Theresa in the late 60's...Vietnam from there...and the stories go on. A solid family unit can survive anything and come away with brilliant experiences.

Sorry for the thread hijack...her dad was in journalism, not medicine. My wife's uncle and best friend are with the State Department and have truly enjoyed the life. Uncle has two kids, best friend is single.

• 6 months later...
I currently work for the US State Department as a Foreign Service Health Practitioner. I'll be happy to tell you the positive and negative side of the job. You can either email me at tbondoc@aol.com or call me at 415-260-6871. My name is Tony.

We'd all love to hear about the pros and cons of your experience on the open forum if you dont mind.....

*KEEP IT ON THE SITE*--- Please do not post asking for an answer to be sent to you via email. Problems and their responses assist others who read them. Please refrain from responding to people's questions via email for the same reason. Moderators may snip email addresses out of such posts without notice.

**********************************************************************************************

Archived