Which PA Program? Advice appreciated!!

I'm currently in the fortunate position of having a few different options for PA school. I'm between two programs that are VERY different but I liked them the best because they each have a small class size (about 30-40 students) and had the nicest faculty and staff. I think the costs will be about the same overall - even though one has cheaper tuition, the area has a higher cost of living. From what I've read on these forums, the PA program doesn't really matter in the long run, just for your first job. I'm still kinda stumped. I have to re-locate for either program. I don't necessarily see myself living in states where these programs are located in the future - I will probably end up getting a job elsewhere after graduation, if that helps at all - mostly for family and "significant other" reasons rather than personal choice. NY is closer to me, but I attended college in the south, so I'm used to both cultures :). I'd be open to any location. 

Anyway... I'll give a list of facts about each one and I would definitely appreciate any advice or other criteria that I should be looking into. Although I've considered the differing PANCE pass rates, I'm not too concerned... I think I have the self-discipline and drive as an individual to pass on the first try. I'd be more concerned about a poor attrition rate. 

1) Albany Medical College (NY)

- Starts next January, which is a longer wait than I'd like; graduation in May (I think)

- 28 months long

- For past few years has had 100% graduation rate & 100% pass rate on PANCE

- Been around for over 40 years - older program, well established

- Affiliated with a medical school and has access to their training tools, but not really any interdisciplinary training with med students

- Clinical rotations are usually within about 60 miles - not sure how the competition for these sites is, with many other NY programs

- Weather issues - snow, but coming from the north, I'm used to snow

2) Mississippi College (MS)

- Starts this May, which I really do like; graduation in December

- 30 months long

- Has had two graduating classes so far (it's newer) - last known PANCE rate is about 86%; graduation rate seems to be good so far

- Sounds like clinical rotations will be spread around the state, which might be difficult with finding housing, etc. 

- Hopefully less competition for preceptors since it's the only program in the state, so might have good clinical experience there (just guessing)

- Weather issues - tornadoes

- Loved the faculty I interviewed with - great people

Questions...

- Will either of these programs make a difference if I apply for jobs and re-locate elsewhere in the United States - north or south - as a new graduate? Without any previous contacts? 

- Is it typically hard to find housing for far clinical rotation sites, if I went to MS? For those of you who have had to do so for your program. 

- Are tornadoes really that bad? ... legit question (lol)

Thank you for any help! I really do appreciate it... I'm going in mental circles with my pro/con lists haha. 

A 100% graduation AND 100% PANCE pass rate are very hard to do together.  That's no small feat.

Very true. Usually means the program is great at teaching medicine instead of overloading you to make it "hard". Pick the university that has the best PANCE stats combined with the one you feel very comfortable at. That's combining the gut feeling with an informed view. 

I am an AMC grad, 1998. I still know some of the faculty.

Go there, the pass rate is excellent and they know how to turn out a good product.

They have a new building to train in, much improved over the Hun Building, what a dump.

We rented across the river in Troy near the HVCC, cheaper than Albany. Also Latham was reasonable.

Had a couple classmates that lived in med student dorms at AMC.

You wont have any problems with rotation sites.

AMC also has at least one PA postgrad fellowship.

Winter in Albany is not that bad, you will get snow but not anything like Buffalo, Boston or Northern New England. Can def do a winter with front wheel drive and all season radials there.

I dont think either program will give you a leg up getting a job except if you are interviewing with an alum.

I did get my first job b/c an alum was working at an ED and they wanted someone whom had been trained similar to him. Clinical coordinator thought I would be a good fit, I interviewed and got the job within 48 hours.

The program I part time teach at has students at far flung rotations and housing is a real big issue, lot of couch crashing and temp housing hunts to add to stress.

I would avoid that.

I would expect Miss to get more hurricanes than tornadoes. They both suck. I would rather go through a northeaster any day.

The later start date for AMC gives you time to work and save money prior to school. You will miss money. Make and save some now.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

I think that MC is an excellent choice. However, I may be a little bias considering the fact that I have been accepted to Mississippi College and plan on attending in May :). Any concerns I had about the graduation rate and pass rate on PANCE was completely erased once I met the faculty and staff. Plus I love the fact that the program start in May. (I think I would drive myself crazy if I had to wait until Jan. to start school lol I am extremely excited as it is and can't wait until May!). Plus I think what you said in your original post is exactly how I feel "I think I have the self-discipline and drive as an individual to pass on the first try. I'd be more concerned about a poor attrition rate." 

Archived