NHSC Scholarship: Is the PA School Attended a Factor

I am considering applying to the NHSC Scholarship. I know it is competitive, but I am curious whether the school the student is attending is a factor. For instance, is the cost of tuition, reputation, PANCE scores, etc. of the school one is accepted to influence likelihood of receiving the scholarship? Also, would current GPA in PA school make a difference (i.e. 4.0 vs ~3.2)? Thanks.

Another question: If I pay my PA school tuition with $ from Roth IRA account and family assistance, would I still be reimbursed for that if I received the scholarship? Or, should I not use my Roth IRA/family help, and take out loans instead, just in case I find out that I received the scholarship? Note: any money I received from "family help/assistance" is my family loaning me money so I take on debt with them instead of government or other loans

• Administrator

Rev ronin, I might be wrong, but I think you are referring to the NHSC repayment that you can apply for after graduation (while practicing in underserved area). I was referring to the scholarship...

Oh, right.  Hmm.  I'd talk to other people, but I think you have a better chance of winning Powerball than actually getting the scholarship--loan repayment after the fact is MUCH more common.

If you DID get the scholarship, I'm thinking you likely wouldn't even need to spend money at all, but I'm a lot fuzzier on those details.

Oh, right.  Hmm.  I'd talk to other people, but I think you have a better chance of winning Powerball than actually getting the scholarship--loan repayment after the fact is MUCH more common.

If you DID get the scholarship, I'm thinking you likely wouldn't even need to spend money at all, but I'm a lot fuzzier on those details.

don't know if it has gotten harder to get, but I had 3 folks in my class of 80 on full nhsc scholarship. they got tuition, books, stipend, etc and owed 2 years when they were done. they all ended up working in federal prisons if I am remembering correctly.

I am going to apply ...yes it is competitive....average 10% acceptance rate over past few years (although I was surprised to see less than 2000 applicants per year) and of course you are in competition with NPs, MD etc but worth a shot in my opinion. As Rev said loan repayment after the fact is much easier to obtain at about 50% of applicants. I may do a separate thread for this but any students out there with the scholarship willing to weigh in on their experiences (volunteer experience, LORs etc)?

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to apply ...yes it is competitive....average 10% acceptance rate over past few years (although I was surprised to see less than 2000 applicants per year) and of course you are in competition with NPs, MD etc but worth a shot in my opinion. As Rev said loan repayment after the fact is much easier to obtain at about 50% of applicants. I may do a separate thread for this but any students out there with the scholarship willing to weigh in on their experiences (volunteer experience, LORs etc)?

I received the scholarship last year and it was indeed competitive. They had 1800 applications and awarded 192. I also read on a school article (don't remember the school name) that they awarded 19 of those to PA students if I remember correctly. 

I submitted one LOR from one of my previous supervisors whom I worked with for 4 years and another LOR from my graduate program's director who worked with me through my thesis project and paper (I got an MS degree before applying to PA school). As far as volunteering, at the time of application I was part of the board of directors for a local animal rescue and I volunteered for a hospice. Most of my experience with the underserved were from paid jobs e.g. working with uninsured patients or people with mental health needs etc. 

Hope that helps and good luck!

Archived