Does your program have a dress code for the classroom?

Maybe Im just biased....the majority of my classes were online so no dress code. The classes that I did take on campus I attended after work so I wore scrubs. Im not ashamed to say that was one of the many factors(not a top 5 factor...maybe top 10:heheh:) I looked at when selecting a program. For me its about spending 8 hours in a classroom and wanting to be comfortable.

Im not sure I understand the need for business casual wear in the classroom. One program said it was a way to symbolize to those fresh out of undergrad that their program is a professional one and that they should conduct themselves in that manner. I dunno...what do you think?

Personally Im looking forward to buying about 3 pair of sweats, some shorts and t-shirts from my school:smile:...and of course our program t-shirt:smile:

• Administrator

We have essentially a three-tier dress code:

* Whatever that's not obscene or indecent for normal classroom wear. For me, that's jeans and a t-shirt

* Step it up a notch for guest lecturers. For me, that's Dockers and a polo.

* Professional dress for patient interactions, including simulated clinical exams, models, community work, etc. Slacks, tie, white coat.

I think it does a good job of balancing the realities of being stuck in class all day with the need to get used to dressing and acting professional.

We have essentially a three-tier dress code:

* Whatever that's not obscene or indecent for normal classroom wear. For me, that's jeans and a t-shirt

* Step it up a notch for guest lecturers. For me, that's Dockers and a polo.

* Professional dress for patient interactions, including simulated clinical exams, models, community work, etc. Slacks, tie, white coat.

I think it does a good job of balancing the realities of being stuck in class all day with the need to get used to dressing and acting professional.

That sounds doable....

I dont think how I dress has any bearing on me dressing/acting professional though...Im perfectly content with dressing as such when the situation calls for it. I actually love it because then I get to wear one of the many suits that I own :-)

We are discouraged from wearing sweatpants, athletic shorts, etc. When we have patient encounters or other labs then its business attire with white coat. Simulation labs/surgical skills we wear scrubs.

Couldn't imagine having to dress up all day... Not only would it be extremely uncomfortable, but I only have around 10-14 dress shirts as it is, and maybe 7 ties. I'd be wearing the same thing every couple of days!

Maybe Im just biased....the majority of my classes were online so no dress code. The classes that I did take on campus I attended after work so I wore scrubs. Im not ashamed to say that was one of the many factors(not a top 5 factor...maybe top 10:heheh:) I looked at when selecting a program. For me its about spending 8 hours in a classroom and wanting to be comfortable.

Im not sure I understand the need for business casual wear in the classroom. One program said it was a way to symbolize to those fresh out of undergrad that their program is a professional one and that they should conduct themselves in that manner. I dunno...what do you think?

Personally Im looking forward to buying about 3 pair of sweats, some shorts and t-shirts from my school:smile:...and of course our program t-shirt:smile:

Ahhhh, my kind of girl....I wore exactly that during classroom.....

Guest guthriesm

We are allowed to wear anything except SCRUBS, athletic gear (no shorts, sweats, etc), anything with obscene writing, flip flops (all sandals must have a back), pajama bottoms, etc. I think it is very reasonable except for the no scrubs.

We do change for diagnosis class - we wear shorts, t-shirt, and sports bra for the ladies. Must be out of those before lecture begins. We change into scrubs for anatomy lab as well.

Must wear professional dress on patient encounters (slacks, blouse, dress, ties, etc with white coat).

I don't mind the not wearing sweats to school- I think that looks a bit disrespectful - as if someone couldn't be bothered to at least find something they didn't sleep in. I do agree about the business casual- if I'm sitting for 8 hours, I don't need to be wearing heels and a skirt. I would suggest trade the sweats for jeans and make it a happy medium?

I don't mind the not wearing sweats to school- I think that looks a bit disrespectful - as if someone couldn't be bothered to at least find something they didn't sleep in. I do agree about the business casual- if I'm sitting for 8 hours, I don't need to be wearing heels and a skirt. I would suggest trade the sweats for jeans and make it a happy medium?

Disrespectful? Really? To whom?

I could understand feeling this way about someone who walks in in pj bottoms or boxers but for goodness sakes most of the athletic teams on campus have sweats. At wht point did sweats translate to sleep attire? Maybe Ive spent too much time in FL but we dont sleep in sweats here....at least I dont. I simply find them quite comfortable and since most classrooms feel like the are set a -30 degrees......they also keep me quite warm

Archived