Thoughts on USNews & World Report PA Rankings

I figured it was just a simple misunderstanding......no harm no foul :-)

Your right, I did not mean it to come out harsh like that at all, I am one of those who just says what he believes, and Yes I know that I am in for a rude awakening in PA School with all the fresh faces, but on the other hand I am going to be welcoming it with open arms. Sorry for the misunderstanding folks.

Be careful with these rankings. They have DESTROYED law school admissions. Thanks to them law schools no longer care about you, your background, your experiences, your writing sample.... nothing. All they care about is: LSAT, GPA, will you pass the bar? That is it.

Good candidates that might throw off the averages by as much as one point are turned down in favor of people who will obviously drop out just because they have a higher score in one area. Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on library books to increase their library ranking... even though nobody uses libraries at law schools anymore. Meaning that money that could have been spent on students is diverted.

Worst of all, however, is their employment numbers gaming. The fact is that unless you go to one of the top 15 programs in the country your chance of finding a legal job is only about 50%. I'm not making that up. But because schools are ranked on this... they fudge the numbers. They will hire their own graduates at minimum wage for two weeks when rankings come out just to have them show as "employed"... stuff like that. What this means is that people go in expecting a 90% chance of getting a job... and don't. They are bilking these students out of their money.

Why do I tell you all this, when so obviously it isn't an issue for PA-dom right now? Because it could be. Just make sure your Universities and Deans don't catch the "rankings bug" or this could be you guys in 20 years.

Worst of all, however, is their employment numbers gaming. The fact is that unless you go to one of the top 15 programs in the country your chance of finding a legal job is only about 50%. I'm not making that up. But because schools are ranked on this... they fudge the numbers. They will hire their own graduates at minimum wage for two weeks when rankings come out just to have them show as "employed"... stuff like that. What this means is that people go in expecting a 90% chance of getting a job... and don't. They are bilking these students out of their money.

haha hang around enough lawyers and that statistic starts to make a lot of sense. The whole nature of the job is a "i hold a bigger stick" mentality. "gotta make partner and make 500k a year" etc

My cousins wife is a lawyer but she chose to stay on the more rational side of law (public defender) while most of her classmates tough it out in the big leagues

I was once almost-convinced that the rankings meant something when I first started the whole application journey. I felt extra proud when I was invited to interview at a "top 10" PA program. Turns out they were infinitely more proud of said ranking than I was, and the whole day felt like observing a communal circle-jerk surrounding these Almighty Numbers. Faculty told us about the numbers. Students told us about the numbers. What about the program facilities, what do you think of- BUT LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS. Okay, how about the rotaNUMBERS NUMBERS RANKINGS GUARANTEED 100% STATISTICALLY IN YOUR NUMBERS ON TOP OF NUMBERS.

Granted, I can absolutely appreciate that it's an excellent program. I don't doubt that they deserve to be in the top ten. But 30 minutes into that interview day all I could think about was putting down my deposit on the school that didn't seem to give half a crap about the numbers, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I will be a Doogie Howser by the time I enter PA school by your standards...and here I was feeling like an old goat being in class with all these dang BS/MD students.

No, rankings have no impression on what PA schools I'm looking into. Location, cost, and focus is what I'm looking at. If a program fits, it fits. Education is only as good as what you get out of it.

Archived