new contract advice

Hello I've been at my current practice for 4 months and my contract was changed and I (and 7 other PAs) were told to sign as is or find other employment.

Practice does UE trauma, microsurgery and reconstructive plastics

Base Salary 115K

Initial contract bonus was based on hours worked. In a 2 week period any hours worked over 80 would be paid at 55/hr all averaged over a 6 week call rotation. 

New contract addendum changed bonus structure to a PA evaluation based on several areas of performance to include SP evaluation, number of pts seen in clinic, pt satisfaction and other clinical staff evaluation. THEN we will be ranked against each other. Bonus will be based on ranking and bonus pool funds that are available if any.

Our call requirements are extremely demanding (personal opinion) and include calls/emergent surgery. We are now paired with a specific surgeon for 2 months then on 3rd mo we will rotate (no idea why).

Hours we have to be available :

1 week on-call 7a-7p to include weekend and one of the days is 24hr call. 

1 week off (meaning outpt cases/clinic and rounding on remaining pts)

Every week I have to take 1 to 2 days of night call in addition to above

CME $800 but only covers course (no transportation or hotels) and has to be approved

NO moonlighting

BL question: is this job even salvageable or should I cut my losses?

Thank you so much for your input...I love the surgeries but I have no life and don't believe my salary is reflecting it

I would STRONGLY urge you to talk with the other PAs 

They can not afford to loose ALL of you at once and you have some ability to push back if you stand together

It is insane that they think they can just force the issue like this - don't stand for it - stand together as professionals 

(there is not a practice out there that can afford to loose 7 PAs and not feel it A LOT)

As for forcing you to work a lot more hours - no way - if they want you then they need to pay you.

also, non-competes and no moonlighting clauses are my favorite things to say HECK NO to - they don't get to control your out of work time.  UNLESS they want to pay for it - figure an extra $30-40k per year to give up on the possibility of working a per diem job.

It is likely just a power play to take more money away from you and put it in the pockets of the owners/hospital

I saw a similar thing happen to a group of local PAs and to my knowledge then have never been able to take it back, as they were all passive and did not fight it together when it came out.

Also, if you have a signed contract that has a term to it - well that is breaking a contract and any court will side in your favor (if you ever went that far)

you are in a tough spot -

I think you need to focus on the future - and stress this to the other PAs 

It is not about an ultimatum, but instead standing together as a unit and saying that it is unacceptable and there needs to be a discussion as it is 7 professionals.....

You can avoid making it a threat, just stand together to voice your displeasure - and try to get more - you should stress to the others that this is not about leaving the job, but instead protecting the job so that you all don't burn out and have to leave

If they truly are not willing to stand together, polish up your CV, then politeely request a meeting and very professionally explain why you find the new contract PROPOSAL unacceptable.  If they absolutelly will not give you have your answer.

Try VERY hard to not shoot yourself in foot - many times they might just say "your terminated" so tread lightly if you are doing it alone.  

If you really think it is a no win situation, do a great job, don't give them any warning, get another job, and offer your resignation letter in a professional manor.   I bet the other PAs end up jealous of you in the long run as you had the conviction to protect your own time, professional boundaries and personal space.

****FYI I once told and employer I was not happy and they tried to terminate me in two weeks - in spite of me having a signed contract with a 90 day notice with them.   I explained to them that I would expect them to honor the signed contract, and they did. There was some veiled threats of legal action "I would not be able to afford my bills and would have to look at all methods of recovering the lost income from a broken contract" or something to that effect.

An employer it not your friend - as demonstrated by their current actions.  You owe them nothing but a professional well thought out resignation letter on your terms when you are ready to go.  If you do not stand together, and even if you do, realize that you have to protect your own self and family  and sometimes this means lining something up with out their knowledge then giving them an appropriate notice (something between 3 weeks and 3 months depending on the job IMHO)

Well said. We have a meeting friday. I have put in lots of hours writing talking points, supporting all of my points of discussion and even provided a sample evaluation that could be used. I feel I have given it my all and it will come down to friday's meeting. 

The other "catch" is that any other PA that has "voiced concerns or pushed back" are now gone. Turnover at this practice is quite ridiculous. 

Thank you again for your words of wisdom. I hope it works out for all involved but I'm looking for future options, since if I don't sign the contract and they don't want to negotiate Im out of a FT position.

Well said. We have a meeting friday. I have put in lots of hours writing talking points, supporting all of my points of discussion and even provided a sample evaluation that could be used. I feel I have given it my all and it will come down to friday's meeting. 

The other "catch" is that any other PA that has "voiced concerns or pushed back" are now gone. Turnover at this practice is quite ridiculous. 

Thank you again for your words of wisdom. I hope it works out for all involved but I'm looking for future options, since if I don't sign the contract and they don't want to negotiate Im out of a FT position.

you have answered your own question

sorry to be blunt, but you are not that special to them (which is to bad, ad turnover is not a good thing) and they are likely just looking for cheap labor (lots of hours)

If their is a high turn over rate and others before you have tried, I would have to say your fate is doomed, and if you rock the boat be prepared to be thrown out of it......

polish up the CV

talk to the local hospital systems, maybe they have a related field that needs a PA urgently, and simply do a good job till you move on...

That is a lot of call.  I have found that most SP will try to put as much call on us as we will allow.  I take one weekend per month from 9-5 Saturday and sunday. I was taking more and had to actually cut back some as my husband was deploying multiple times and I just mentally could not keep it together all the time.   If I would agree to it my SP would love for me to do all of his call.  I don't think you are being adequately compensated for that call schedule either.  Not sure how much call you have taken, but sometimes it is hardly a bother at all but then others it interferes with everything.  I hate that I can't go do an exercise class or go to a movie those weekends, you also don't ever feel like you have a mental break knowing you may be called at any moment. Personally I would never agree to night call and I would say minimum for that much call should be 130k.  I am sure the SP you are working with are making two to three times that much and they are asking the PAs to do all the dirty work.   I can understand you are not in a great position, sounds like they have made it a take it or leave it deal.  I would talk with the other PAs and get a feel for how they want to proceed.  If they don't want to rock the boat you will probably have to stick it out until you find another position.  Some people may not mind that schedule, personally I would be miserable. 

It's time to leave.  PAs should not be treated as chattel.  We are not assistants.  You could do some locums work in the meantime.  Ventana is right and I find it incomprehensible that your practice does not value you or the other PAs as team members.

Plus PAs need to learn how to get out of the sheep mentality.

Good Luck and keep us posted.  You could alway apply for unemployment if they fire you.  

Archived