Medical Spanish

Would anyone like to offer their insights into providers needing to know Spanish/other languages? I know many providers who are desperate at this point to learn another language, I feel fortunate to know another language because it has made my interactions with patients and people in general easier. Would be interested to hear thoughts.

you will see some jobs posted as requiring a bilingual clinician due to local patient demographics. it can only help you to be bilingual. spanish seems to be the most helpful, but there are communities with large #s of folks from Russia, China, etc that can use folks with those linguistic skills.

• 1 month later...

Here is a good website:

http://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish/medical_clinical_interview

Also, you can buy books for a couple of bucks that help out a lot. I bought a book that has a lot of medical interview questions and a pocket medical Spanish dictionary for about 25 bucks combined. A worthwhile investment if you use Spanish in any capacity professionally.

Just interested to know if anyone knows of any free resources to brush up on Medical Spanish? Thanks!

This website is pretty helpful if you want to learn vocabulary: http://www.medicalspanish.com/dictionary/english-spanish/a.html.

I'm interested in this topic, too. Are there medical Spanish classes offered at the University just for students going into the medical field or does someone need a minor/major in Spanish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure this varies from one school to another but at my university they offer a Spanish course specifically for students looking at medical professions; however, you have to take two 300 level courses before you can enroll in the class.

Archived