Letter of Recommendation... EMT prof?

While its recommended to get an LOR from a PA, sometimes it is harder said then done to get connected with a PA and long enough for them to write you an LOR unless you work with them directly. Getting 1 LOR from a college professor is also recommended by most schools.

I got LORs from a college professor, work supervisor, and the manager of a health initiative I volunteered with, turned out fine.

I guess I would consider his certification level...I know that the course I did a few years back was taught by firefighters, EMT-B's and a couple paramedics every now and then....So an LOR from somebody with only and EMT-B may not carry much weight.... I know a lot of school do look for PA, and/or Professors with a PhD to write LORs.

Just a repeat of one approach to LORs, assuming your school doesn't require one from a PA or some such direction.

Get people who can talk about your performance in some aspect of the critical skills you'll need to get through school and become a good PA. I would doubt that that would be someone who only knew you for a couple of hours. That way, the Adcom can learn something about the "you" that's behind the transcript and all the other numbers in you application.

I used:

1. An old friend who also was a senior executive where I used to work who knew something about my work ethic

2. A professor in college who knew something about my academic skills

3. The chief of the EMS unit that I work in who knew something about my patient care skills.

If you have to have one from a PA, I would get to know one well enough that he or she can write a decent letter. The people I've done that for shadowed for a fair bit of time and shared a lot more about themselves than I know I did when I  shadowed.

Good luck!

Archived