Final decision between 2 schools!

I have a few days left to decide due to my procrastination.. I love both schools in very different ways. I've never lived in either state. I know I am very blessed and can't go wrong with either, but I can't seem to come to a final, confident decision. 

Tuition is about the same ~80K, and both finish at the same time.

School in NYC:

$15K more than Virginia (factoring living+tuition) 2 months shorter

5 elective rotations, allowing external/international opportunities

16 months in rotations!

More intense/rigorous (small class <40)

Clinicals with some really great hospitals..

Experiencing city life and diversity

Extra surgical training

School in Virginia:

Nice location - coastal 

Culturally rich (art festivals, growing city)

More faculty and student support (85 students)

Spacious campus with up-to-date facilities, medical school, etc.

More "free time"? because didactic is 6 mo. longer and info is spread out. (We get out at 3pm some days, and no actual classes on Friday)

12 months in clinicals (4 mo less than NYC)

My gut is telling my NYC, to try something different and step into the unknown for those life-changing experiences, but my heart is for Virginia - in terms of the comfortable, more laid-back, feel-good happiness. I'm not a big city person (but am adaptable and willing to sacrifice some) and know that if I don't make the leap now, then I never will choose to in the future to live in such an urban setting. I know I can always move out after - I would not stay in the city for more than a few years.

Any input would be so valuable, whether that's the job market in the area, or if time in rotations really makes a difference. I've gotten only conflicting answers from friends and family. 

Throw your vote in??

factor cost of living into your decision. I can't tell you what to do as I don't know your long term goals, but NYC will cost more for several reasons than almost anywhere else.

If you want to stay in NYC after graduation, do the NYC program. otherwise, up to you.

I'm not a city person either, but ended up doing a big city program(Drexel/Hahnemann) in Philly. loved the program, hated the city.

I left town the day of graduation, actually straight from the ceremony.

I had to decide between those two states as well!

Personally I vote for EVMS, it's a great program (though I don't go there).

I say go with your heart. Sounds like you would be happier at that location. Both schools can give you the education...

Really? Did you end up doing New York? 

I know EVMS is an excellent program! For some reason I was thinking that New York would be the "obvious" choice because of more job opportunities there afterward, and just it being Cornell - have heard about job offers even 7 months before graduation.

I know EVMS is an excellent program! For some reason I was thinking that New York would be the "obvious" choice because of more job opportunities there afterward, and just it being Cornell - have heard about job offers even 7 months before graduation.

Nope, I stayed in my home state.

The program in NY was upstate. Although it was part of a medical school, it just didn't fit me as well.

I know it's a hard thing, but it's not a bad dilemma to have. :) Make a pro/con checklist and see of that helps mapping it out.

there are VERY FEW jobs for new grads in NYC and they all pay substandard wages because so many folks want them.

EVMS > WCMC

But I'm biased. I work for WCMC now and I am over it. Yeah, NYC is over saturated -- I just saw them advertise an heme-onc position and the pay is 56k w/ 2 years experience (in healthcare not necessarily as a PA). So, they might have been offered a job 7 months before graduation but more likely than not the salary was offensively low. Plus, I'm looking to attend a program that focuses on multicultural competence, diversity,  and stresses community service (ie: EVMA, Quinnipiac, etc). Also, the program at EVMS seems more welcoming and supportive, less cutthroat. I went to an open house at Cornell and didn't really like the vibe I got. The class was pretty homogeneous -- not my kind of thing.  

My opinions and preferences aside -- The reality is that in the end, both programs will give you a good education and the ability and knowledge to pass the PANCE. It really just depends on what you value and what kind of practice / patient population / environment you want to break into after graduation. 

Good luck & congrats on your acceptances!

Archived