Odd essay question

Hi everyone,

In addition to the normal essay questions that are usually found on supplemental applications, this school has this as the last sentence for their essay proposal...

"The Admissions Committee would like to hear your thoughts regarding your strengths and weaknesses in pursuing a career as a physician assistant. "

I have got to say, I am at a loss for what they are looking for here. I can think of a weakness in terms of a personality quality but this makes it sound like the school is wanting to know what might make you a not-so-stellar provider. Any thoughts? I just found this to be an unusual thing to ask. I have been asked about what I thought my weakness was personality-wise or a trait I could work on etc but this seems different.

The only thing I can think of would be something along the lines of being introverted or more reserved than others but I can't really figure out how that has to be a "weakness in pursuing a career as a PA". I just consider myself drama free ;)

Any input is appreciated! :)

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and dwelling on the weaknesses in the essay is probably not a good idea.

If it were me, I might touch on the fact that my personality tends towards being introverted and I realized that I needed to get out of my shell to communicate and treat patients, as well as operate with others on the healthcare team. I've done x, y , and z and as demonstrated by a, b,  and c, I've managed to do that. I recognize that being aware of one's strengths and weaknesses is important because we all have them and they can interfere with our work.

Thanks UGoLong. The essay is only 750-1000 words and asks about 6 other things (motivation, career goals, why PA, etc) in addition to that sentence. I just found it so odd! I understand everyone has qualities that they can improve on but it sounded to me as if they wanted you to say how it would negatively affect your career choice as a PA. I might just write a sentence or two just to address it and move on. Thanks for the input!

Guest MedLib42

UGoLong had some excellent advice. To add to that, this is actually a pretty common question - if it doesn't pop up during essays, it will often pop up during interviews. My understanding of this question is that they're looking for a few things here: 

1) Complete honesty. Most of your app, and your interview, is going to be about this. This question is very much the same. They want to know if you're going to give them some "canned answer" (tell them what you think they want to hear, such as "my only weakness is that I'm a workaholic") or if you're really going to be honest and open up about your strengths and weaknesses. 

2) Self awareness and humility. They want to know if you are self aware, mature, and humble enough to recognize that you are human and do, in fact, have weaknesses (and can identify them). The candidate that is in touch with their weaknesses (and strengths) is in a much better position to address them and successful than the candidate who thinks they don't have any weaknesses or refuses to acknowledge them. 

3) Individuality. In a sea of ridiculously well qualified candidates, this is a way for them to get to know you as individuals. If you have a really unique strength, or a great way of explaining strengths/weaknesses, you might stand out here.

4) Weed out potential candidates whose weaknesses are a no-no ("I hate touching people" or something like that), and rule in candidates who have unique or amazing sounding strengths. 

I still wouldn't advise disclosing any horrific weaknesses that make you sound like a poor candidate, but I would be completely honest. As I said, UGoLong has some great advice there if you feel introversion is one of them.

Thanks MedLib. I went on an interview recently and was asked about my strengths and weaknesses but the way the wording is sounds like  the committee wants you to discuss how the weakness would play into your role as a PA, which I think is harder to explain. Nobody wants to write "Well I can be shy etc" which makes it seem like you can't talk to patients. I will try to word my answers as delicately as possible :)

Guest MedLib42

Thanks MedLib. I went on an interview recently and was asked about my strengths and weaknesses but the way the wording is sounds like  the committee wants you to discuss how the weakness would play into your role as a PA, which I think is harder to explain. Nobody wants to write "Well I can be shy etc" which makes it seem like you can't talk to patients. I will try to word my answers as delicately as possible :)

Yeah, I agree - that definitely makes it harder, I'd probably struggle with that one too. Sounds like you have the right idea, though. Good luck!

Rev, my "weakness" I am probably writing about is just me being quiet. Actually, I'm not sure if CASPA asks the recommenders about your weakness but one interview I went on, the interviewer actually asked me what I thought they wrote as my weakness and I guessed right! lol

I don't consider myself shy but just more quiet than others. I won't be that loud person everyone notices at work. I consider myself more low-key. I can write about strength/weakness, it's just the wording with the whole "in pursuing a career as a PA" that makes it seem like they are looking for something else. 

Archived