Give up before getting started?

Hello,

Firstly I'd like to say that I'm new here, but have lurked this forum for the past few months. My situation is personally hard to talk about. In fact posting this thread alone makes me a little sick, but it's something that I need honest advice on. To make a long story short I attended Indiana State Univeristy out of high school for two years, but only took 35 credit hour due to a lot of dropping and failing that I have no one to blame but myself for. I did horribly, had about 8 F's, two W's, and came out with a 1.40. Ouch. It makes me sick just seeing the transcript again. So I moved back to my home in North Carolina, and decided to just leave school alone for a good two years. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't of ever learned my lesson. During this time I picked up a job as patient tech in the ER or a local hospital which is where I currently work. After realizing that this isn't the way I want to spend my life I started feeling like I was ready to begin school again and enrolled in a community college where I've taken 34 hours of coursework with a 3.4 GPA. The plan is to transfer to a four year next year. I also shadowed an OT and PA at my job for the past couple years and racked up well over 300 hours between the two, and I'm leaning more towards PA, but of course theres the issue of my GPA. So far I haven't touched any pre-reqs besides general biology which I obtained a B at the community college in, but two F's (because I took it twice) at ISU. So right now I am not quite sure what to do. I thought about just  going to OT school to use it as a backup plan if all else fails, but a lot of people are saying that because I haven't taken any pre-reqs that I can still clean up (plus there's the 5000+  HCE i've aquired). I really don't want to give up, but at the same time I don't want to hit the wall while I see it if you know what I mean. I planned on taking all my pre-reqs starting next spring, but I don't want to go through all that if my ISU GPA is just going to haunt me throughout my entire journey. I appreciate advice, good or bad. As much as I'd love to chase this dream, I want to be as realistic as possible at the same time considering that most of the PA schools in NC require at least a 3.0. I'm also a black male if anyone asks my race (if that were to play any factor).

I suggest taking the time to make a spreadsheet. Figure out every course you have taken and will need to take, how many credits each one is worth and what will happen to your overall GPA if you get mostly A's from now on. If you cannot get to 3.0 it will be difficult to get in. I would not count on schools noticing an upward trend or considering the last 60 credits. Bad grades will haunt you. I had feedback last year from Pacific University in Oregon (which specifically states that they look at the last 45-60 credits) that my GPA was too low even though my last 60 credits are over 3.8 and my overall is 3.1.

If you can get to 3.0, though, your HCE, essays, etc. will give you a fair chance of getting in somewhere (at least I hope so!) Also, if you still have your pre-reqs to do then you don't have to decide just yet. You can test yourself by getting A's in the pre-reqs, most of which you'll need for OT school anyway I bet. Anatomy and Physiology are hard, by the way. Organic chemistry is brutal. Good luck!

• Administrator

I had feedback last year from Pacific University in Oregon (which specifically states that they look at the last 45-60 credits) that my GPA was too low even though my last 60 credits are over 3.8 and my overall is 3.1.

You probably didn't miss it by too much.  Mine Last 45 was ~3.95 and overall 3.3 when I got in in 2010.  However, Pacific's gotten even more competitive in the last few years--PANCE scores coming up markedly and whatnot--and they're getting 50% more completed applications than the year I got in, many of whom are applying specifically for the 'last 45' GPA review.  Mind you, while I had a bad semester or two, I mostly had adequate grades--a lot of B's--so my challenge was not getting to a 3.0, but bringing up my 3.2 to a 3.3.

35 credits of 1.4 is going to be a lot harder to overcome.  It is doable, but it will take years of 4.0.

• 6 months later...

A bunch of schools look at the last 45-60 credits and weigh that more heavily. I also had a tough uphill battle getting into a program. My cumulative GPA was a 2.96 after getting a second degree and doing a post bacc at my community college. Keep in mind, during my second degree and post bacc, I averaged no less than a 3.6 gpa

I knew I was weak in academics so I bolstered that with strong clinical experience and work credentials. I've been a patient care technician for 2.5 years and am currently an emergency room technician and exercise physiologist. I also used to teach human cadaver lab at a univeristy for 2 years so that gave me an edge on my application. Overall, I went into the application with 4000+ hours of clinical experience and over 350+ hours in shadowing experience.

The point is, don't give up on your goals, no matter the obstacles you have to overcome. I'm glad I didn't. My hard work and perseverance finally paid off as I'm starting Clarkson Univeristy's pa program in 2016 =)

SUGGESTIONS:

-retake all your pre-requisites that aren't at least a B+

-take the "recommended" courses such as genetics and microbiology and ace them

-make sure your experiences stand out from the crowd (being an emergency room technician is a big plus because depending on where you work, you'll be practicing skills you'd learn in pa school such as splinting)

-don't limit yourself by only applying in state.

-do your research and apply everywhere that you think you'd have a high chance of getting an interview

-once at the interview, SELL YOURSELF

Hope this helps. Don't give up.

Yes, colleges will look at your last 45-60 credits... however, you have to meet that 3.0 cumulative for most to even consider taking a look at your application (where they will hopefully see the uptrend). I don't have any Fs, but I had a lot of Cs my first couple of years in college and more importantly in a few of my pre-reqs. Like you, I got back on track and pulled my GPA up by consecutive 3.8-4.0 semesters for 3+ years.

You need to look at the number of credits you have taken and figure out you cumulative GPA. Then you need to figure out how many more credits you need to take to pass that 3.0 GPA. I got by with ~3.3 GPA. Don't let all the "you need a 3.8+ GPA to be considered competitive" talk scare you. If anything, you'll look more motivated than most applicants if you were to pull that GPA up after you decided that you wanted to become a PA. That was my story at least, and it was true.

With that being said, talk to an advisor or counselor at your school and see if it is realistic for you to raise your GPA up if you get straight As for X amount of semesters. Be wise with what electives you take as well.

Archived