Tacoma 2014-2015 applicants

Scoped, thanks I'll look into that and see if that works depending on how much FA is awarded. When in Anchorage, is it UAA's cost or UW? I was guessing it is UAA dorm prices, food, etc

Tuition goes to UW because its there program and all the FA is handled through the UW admissions. If you chose to live in the UAA dorms then that would be paid to UAA I would assume, that's a great question for the UAA MEDEX team.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Matsen!  I love the weather in the summer time, but the rest of the year it is too gray for me.  I guess I shouldn't be complaining because the weather here isn't too extreme.  I am here because of family and job opportunities.  Traffic has gotten a lot worst though the last couple of years but you learn how to work around it.  I work the typical 8-5 job right now, but sometimes am envious of my colleagues that work  weekend and evenings just because they don't have to put up with the traffic lol.

Gloomy is good for studying as far as I am concerned, so hopefully I'll get to put that to use next year and then get to enjoy the summer months the following year:) As for the traffic, I think someone else said we may just need to put up with it, knowing it will only be temporary.  Good advice I think, especially since bad weather and traffic can hardly hold a candle to the awesomeness of getting into this program!

Scoped, thanks again, that is the one thing I don't remember being mentioned at the full MEDEX session I attended earlier this year, though tuition was mentioned and FA, just not AK to UW cost. I may have to live in the dorms since my family will stay in Fairbanks and I hopefully get put up their for Clinical. I met a MEDEX student who did his clnicals up here and PA Riley mentioned it's possible to do the entire rotations up here.

Hey Everyone-

I'm currently an EMT in Seattle, and was born and raised here so I can contribute a lot to anyone who is considering relocating. This is my first year applying and I'm excited for the chance at an interview, but also very nervous about it. This forum has been very helpful so far!

Hey Everyone-

I'm currently an EMT in Seattle, and was born and raised here so I can contribute a lot to anyone who is considering relocating. This is my first year applying and I'm excited for the chance at an interview, but also very nervous about it. This forum has been very helpful so far!

Best of luck to you EMSLady! This is also my first time applying.

Gloomy is good for studying as far as I am concerned, so hopefully I'll get to put that to use next year and then get to enjoy the summer months the following year:) As for the traffic, I think someone else said we may just need to put up with it, knowing it will only be temporary.  Good advice I think, especially since bad weather and traffic can hardly hold a candle to the awesomeness of getting into this program!

Much agreed Matsen!  Fingers crossed for all of us :-)  

Hey there, fellow applicants! I've been peeking in to occasionally see what the news has been for you all and thought I'd finally come out of the shadows and say hi! I'm a born and raised Washingtonian living and working as an ER Tech in Seattle. This is my first year applying to MEDEX, and I think I've finally cut myself back to only checking my email five times a day in hopes of a finding a request for an interview. Haha! It's nice to know I'm in good company there. Hope you all are doing well this fine September morning!

Hey there, fellow applicants! I've been peeking in to occasionally see what the news has been for you all and thought I'd finally come out of the shadows and say hi! I'm a born and raised Washingtonian living and working as an ER Tech in Seattle. This is my first year applying to MEDEX, and I think I've finally cut myself back to only checking my email five times a day in hopes of a finding a request for an interview. Haha! It's nice to know I'm in good company there. Hope you all are doing well this fine September morning!

Ha! Yeah, I finally have cut back on checking my email as well. Hope to be seeing you at the interviews! Best of luck to you!

Keep the faith folks! Don't be discouraged by other sites holding interview confrences. Last years invites for Tacoma were not until around thanksgiving. I know it feels like forever but keep yourself busy!

I'm def staying positive and keeping busy (microbiology class) to help pass the time :) Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm also in the first time pool. While praying along with all applicants here, I've a question:

Within CASPA, I didn't fill out the "shadow PA" experience part. I worked with many PAs several years in clinics. Among those PAs I worked with, most of them were MEDEX grads and they all offered their commitments/willings to mentor me if MEDEX found that I'm the one they need to train as PA. I had opportunities to shadow a full-time PA for months before he moved out of state to another primary care practice. Of another PA whom gave a LOR, I shadowed him too, but that was also very far back then. None of those hours recorded/logged & I only mention a tiny bit of shadow exp in the narratives.

Since it's difficult to verify (no documentation), I didn't risk to fill those information in the CASPA. Would it be sufficient for MEDEX?

Thanks & Happy Autumn.

Edited: @EMSGuy1982: I found all your previous posts too, great info from them.

@EMSGuy1982- If you have time, let us know how classes are going. Difficult? What is most challenging for you right now?  I have been reading your threads from last year and your experience through this waiting time. I hope all is well!!! Thanks for keeping us encouraged! 

Things are going great! A little crazy right now, but maintaining (it's going to get even crazier). It's kind of like an onion, they keep putting more layers on as we go. As more layers are added (i.e pathology, essays ect..) the reading amount rises pretty sharp. Most challenging thing for myself right now is time. I have a family so that in itself is challenging with the amount of studying. Its going to get tougher but I like a challenge!

I'm also in the first time pool. While praying along with all applicants here, I've a question:

Within CASPA, I didn't fill out the "shadow PA" experience part. I worked with many PAs several years in clinics. Among those PAs I worked with, most of them were MEDEX grads and they all offered their commitments/willings to mentor me if MEDEX found that I'm the one they need to train as PA. I had opportunities to shadow a full-time PA for months before he moved out of state to another primary care practice. Of another PA whom gave a LOR, I shadowed him too, but that was also very far back then. None of those hours recorded/logged & I only mention a tiny bit of shadow exp in the narratives.

Since it's difficult to verify (no documentation), I didn't risk to fill those information in the CASPA. Would it be sufficient for MEDEX?

Thanks & Happy Autumn.

Edited: @EMSGuy1982: I found all your previous posts too, great info from them.

If you get an interview sharesmiles, be prepared to be asked why you didn't shadow or why it wasn't added. I think as long as you can express knowledge about the profession you will be okay.

For those current students, the info session I went to they said that 8-10 hours of shadowing was sufficient. Do you feel that is a reasonable number of hours that they recommended or should an applicant have much more than that?

I am not sure how they view it but I do think it is important to do it. I don't think there is a magic number that they want to see. I only had about 12 hours of shadowing. I did have over 20,000 hours of HCE though. Some people I interviewed with had extensive hours shadowing. I think shadowing shows that you are interested enough in the profession that you want to see how they do what they do. I worked around PA's and had a good idea what they did but after shadowing i felt like I knew more about the profession and confirmed to myself that this is what I wanted to do.

I am not sure how they view it but I do think it is important to do it. I don't think there is a magic number that they want to see. I only had about 12 hours of shadowing. I did have over 20,000 hours of HCE though. Some people I interviewed with had extensive hours shadowing. I think shadowing shows that you are interested enough in the profession that you want to see how they do what they do. I worked around PA's and had a good idea what they did but after shadowing i felt like I knew more about the profession and confirmed to myself that this is what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the response. I have about 12 hours of shadowing, but I also have around 22,000 of HCE and working with PAs.

Hello!

I am sure I am the newest of the new here, but I am glad I found this forum =) This is my first time applying to MEDEX, and am shooting for Tacoma in particular. Does anyone know if you get notified either way, or just wait and see if you get invited to an interview?

It would be nice to get together with some of the applicants and perhaps a current or former student. I know of a couple people (I work with) that went through the MEDEX program. Would any of you be interested?

Archived