Tacoma 2014-2015 applicants

Hey all Tacoma applicants I am a current Tacoma class 2 student. I wanted to start a thread for you guys. Just a word of advice. Don't freak out about MEDEX sending out interviews and you haven't gotten one yet. Last years interviews for Tacoma were after Seattle and Spokane. I remember freaking out that a ton of people were getting interviews and offers to attend the program and I hadn't heard anything yet, so I hope this brings some comfort. Hurry up and wait and your time will come! I am here if you have any questions!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied to MEDEX Tacoma. I am from Texas and have been in Fire Service and EMS for the previous 12 years.  I am really excited about the MEDEX program and hope I get the opportunity to learn along side you all! Good luck to everyone who is patiently waiting for an email... at least we aren't waiting alone!  Thanks again to the current students who have taken the time to come here and help settle our nerves. It is truly appreciated.

Aprilmedic, I interviewed on December 13th last year. After the December interview they had another interview for tacoma in seattle in January to fill any spots that did not get filled at the December 13th interview. I wouldn't put money on trying to guess what day the interview will be but just expect that it will be after the Seattle and Spokane interviews. I know it's hard to just sit back and wait after you poured everything you've got into your application and your personal statemtent and MEDEX supplemental essays. I had worked myself into a frenzy last year about this time and it wasn't fun. The day I stopped hitting refresh on my email (that is how they contact you for an interview) is the day I got the invite. Relax, relax, relax spend time with family and relax some more. If you get an interview and accepted, the time to do that is decreased significantly.

I can say that I have loved every minute of it so far. The online portion is manageable but is still fast paced. It eases you into whats in store for summer quarter. Summer quarter was stressful but it was awesome. Learning from guest lecturers that actually work in the field of what your studying is great. I have amazing classmates and we all support each other. Fall quarter is coming up in a week and that is when they start piling it on. It can be tough finding enough time to study if you have a family but if you have an awesome support system you can do it. I never thought I could learn all the information I have learned and retain it, but I have and I feel like MEDEX is going to prepare me to be the best PA that I can be. If you have time, look up MEDEX northwest on youtube. I did this while I was waiting and it kept me motivated. All the videos are testaments to how awesome the program is and how dedicated they are to the students. I really feel blessed to be in this program.

My interview was on December 13th if I remember right. I got my notice for the interview about 2 weeks before that. Got the notice of acceptance December 18th,just before Christmas. Best Christmas gift ever.

That's a pretty awesome story, save for the whole waiting until December part:)  Did you meet the early application deadline by chance?

@EMSGuy Wow, that's quite the wait!  So you believe that to be common though correct, they didn't just push back the date for some reason?  Congrats on getting in by the way!  I was lucky to be present when my wife found out she got into a PA program in Ohio and it was probably the most excited I have ever seen her!  She and I are both really excited about MEDEX, so hopefully I'll see you in a few months and I really hope to be seeing you this time next year as well!  Good luck with your classes and keep your head up (or maybe down, as in the books), I'm sure you'll do great!

@EMSGuy Wow, that's quite the wait! So you believe that to be common though correct, they didn't just push back the date for some reason? Congrats on getting in by the way! I was lucky to be present when my wife found out she got into a PA program in Ohio and it was probably the most excited I have ever seen her! She and I are both really excited about MEDEX, so hopefully I'll see you in a few months and I really hope to be seeing you this time next year as well! Good luck with your classes and keep your head up (or maybe down, as in the books), I'm sure you'll do great!

I thought they were pushing the tacoma interview back until I got in contact with some of the current class on here. It is a little wait but totally worth it. When the interview invites come out for Tacoma me and some of my classmates will be happy to meet up the night before the interview for a frosty beverage and answer any questions you might have for the interview. It was great last year to meet some of the current students and ask them about the interview. It helped calm my nerves. Some of us will also be there at the interview during the lunch session (possibly).

I thought they were pushing the tacoma interview back until I got in contact with some of the current class on here. It is a little wait but totally worth it. When the interview invites come out for Tacoma me and some of my classmates will be happy to meet up the night before the interview for a frosty beverage and answer any questions you might have for the interview. It was great last year to meet some of the current students and ask them about the interview. It helped calm my nerves. Some of us will also be there at the interview during the lunch session (possibly).

Good to know.... I guess I can wait another couple of months before I start to get anxious :)  I'm sure it's completely worth the wait, I just hope they like me on paper (and in the interview of course) as much as I like them on their website/FAQ pages/numerous youtube videos/documentaries/former students/etc./etc./etc.  It really seems like an excellent program and I don't know if I'm more excited about the prospect of working with the soldiers at JBLM military hospital and the vets at the VA hospital, or the remote clinical sites in a variety of states.  You'll have to keep us up to date on how those clinicals go, I'd be very interested to hear, even if it's just what you're hearing from the 2nd year students!  Thanks for taking the time to post these things by the way.

Oh that sounds great!  Having supportive classmates can definitely make all the difference.  When I was in LPN and RN school, my classmates became like a second family.  I will for sure look up MEDEX on you tube.  

They definitely have some pretty informative vids on youtube, that offer a lot more insight into what we might expect working in the places where we might get to train in.  Check out the one titled "MEDEX Northwest video" its about 30min. but if remote medicine is at all interesting to you, I think you'd love it.  Their Harlem Shake spoof is pretty interesting too :)

They definitely have some pretty informative vids on youtube, that offer a lot more insight into what we might expect working in the places where we might get to train in.  Check out the one titled "MEDEX Northwest video" its about 30min. but if remote medicine is at all interesting to you, I think you'd love it.  Their Harlem Shake spoof is pretty interesting too :)

Will definitely do that this weekend Matsen!  I have heard nothing but positive things about the MEDEX program so I am excited about what's in store.  The good thing about us having to wait until December is that it really would be the greatest Christmas present if we got accepted. 

I've just been trying to keep busy with work and family so that time will fly!  LOL...it's flying but not fast enough

I can say that I have loved every minute of it so far. The online portion is manageable but is still fast paced. It eases you into whats in store for summer quarter. Summer quarter was stressful but it was awesome. Learning from guest lecturers that actually work in the field of what your studying is great. I have amazing classmates and we all support each other. Fall quarter is coming up in a week and that is when they start piling it on. It can be tough finding enough time to study if you have a family but if you have an awesome support system you can do it. I never thought I could learn all the information I have learned and retain it, but I have and I feel like MEDEX is going to prepare me to be the best PA that I can be. If you have time, look up MEDEX northwest on youtube. I did this while I was waiting and it kept me motivated. All the videos are testaments to how awesome the program is and how dedicated they are to the students. I really feel blessed to be in this program.

EMSGUY, how many hours of homework would you say you have every day?  I know that the program is intensive, and I anticipate that once accepted into the program there isn't much time for anything else except school and studying. 

Archived