Your thoughts on my candidacy

* I apologize to the Mods if this is not the right place to post this*

I have been scoping many of these topics over the past couple weeks and wanted to ask some questions of you who are more knowledgeable in the elusive PA Lore.

I just finished my application through CASPA. I want to get into the new program at Indiana State as it is near my home and they currently have requirements closer to what I can provide. I also applied to University of Findlay, South College in Knoxville and Seton Hill University.

I just got my GPA calculation back, and as expected, it was lower than my current transcript GPA's.

Most of my pre-req's are A's. It is other sciences I have messed up in. I started off my college career strong, then kind of fumbled the ball later on while working and being very involved in a campus organization. Those grades include an F in genetics (which i retook the following semester and got a B plus) and a c- in micorbiology which I also took and got a b+ in the following semester. There were some other sciences in there that were not too pretty either, but those were the main ones.

I knew my GPA was going to be a killer, so I am now enrolled in a masters of physiology program and have a 3.5 gpa through 2/3 of the program. Medical experrience is pretty weak. I had about 150 hours volunteering in an ER, and about 300 hours volunteering/shadowing/assisting in a dental office (that was the plan for during most of my undergrad)

So the question I ask is what are my chances of becoming part of this field. I know that I would excel as a practitioner and would be a great asset to a doc/hospital and to my patients. I just screwed up in undergrad and don't know how to make up for that. What do you all think I should do, and give me some perspective on my immediate opportunity for the above programs

Well, you failed to give any specific "stats" so that is impossible to give an answer on. With that said, look at what the schools requirements are.... most likely a 3.0 GPA min, with certain courses to boot. Is there a GRE requirement? Your volunteer hours are going to do you no good when it comes to HCE. You have no patient contact, i.e. working directly with the patients. And I don't think you want to be stretching dental assisting into HCE (health care experience). Successful applicants are going to probably have well over 1k hours and many into 10k.

With a lower cGPA, you either need to have a solid GRE (1000-1100) and a lot of HCE. Oh, and a fabulous essay.

So, not knowing what those programs require, and no, you probably aren't going to get folks on here to go to those schools' websites for "program specific chances" of you getting in... you definitely seem to be lacking in critical areas most PA programs require at a minimum. Plus remember, this sh** is extremely competitive and you have lots of applicants with tons of HCE. And unfortunately, you don't have the GPA to "wow" them.

For starters you didn't even bother to put your sGPA up, so it's hard to eval you. You're going to have to call the schools that you're going to apply to, to see if they consider volunteering as hce. Some schools do, others don't. You're also going to need high quality hce in order for the schools to even look at you. High quality hce...RN,LPN,CNA,CMA,RT,EMT,Paramedic and you're going to need thousands of hrs of that. You are at least 1yr to 1 1/2 yrs from applying. During this time, you can redo your prereqs and then apply to schools that look at the last 45-60hrs. If you're serious about getting into PA school, you're going to have to have something on your app that stands out from the rest. It has to catch the eye of the AdComms, so far you don't have anything. I wish you came to the forum b/f applying we could have saved you some money. You have a long journey ahead of you, but if you're serious you will do it.

yes I also wish I had a better idea about this profession before this point. I was pre-dent throughout undergrad and just got the info/decided on going PA over this past year. my undergrad S gpa is a slim 2.9 even when you add in my 18 grad science credits at 3.5. obviously not pretty. It would be moderately higher if you threw out classes I retook, but obviously this isn't an option, so I have to find a way around this. I HAVE looked over the pre-reqs for most of these programs. The Ind state program currently has some lower minimum requirements as compared to others as it is newer. I would be quite content calling this "home' I am just nervous that my previous fumbles will mess me up long term. I truly do want to be a PA. But I also am not looking to spend 10 years on the outside looking in. Bahhh this is frustrating

Actually you might just have to take over your lower grade classes and get that high quality hce. I know you want to apply this yr but you're just not ready and you're not competitive. It won't be 10yrs, most likely just one. In that time you will learn a lot. Decide what hce you like even if you have to shadow. Have you shadowed a PA yet and gotten a LOR from that shadowing PA? Shadowing a PA is a must at most schools. Volunteering in a dental office is just not high quality hce for someone that has a lower gpa. You're going to have to put more effort into this but it will be worth it in the end..

Western recalculates the CASPA GPA to reflect the higher grade...and I think a few others do too. Also many of the programs that do not use CASPA also calculate using the higher grade. Only difference is that some programs requires the course to be taken at the same school in order to be seen as equiv. while Western does not....they do require that the courses be titled similar and have similar descriptions. So delaing with those programs, if you were to retake those courses and get As then you could actually come out with a great GPA

yes I also wish I had a better idea about this profession before this point. I was pre-dent throughout undergrad and just got the info/decided on going PA over this past year. my undergrad S gpa is a slim 2.9 even when you add in my 18 grad science credits at 3.5. obviously not pretty. It would be moderately higher if you threw out classes I retook, but obviously this isn't an option, so I have to find a way around this. I HAVE looked over the pre-reqs for most of these programs. The Ind state program currently has some lower minimum requirements as compared to others as it is newer. I would be quite content calling this "home' I am just nervous that my previous fumbles will mess me up long term. I truly do want to be a PA. But I also am not looking to spend 10 years on the outside looking in. Bahhh this is frustrating

I echo what just_me said try to look for schools that look at your last 60 hours or so or takes into account the retake higher grade. Also you have very minimal healthcare experience, just because a school stats we only require 300, doesn't mean they will grant interviews to those who have less then 500. Also make sure your personal statement is well written because this is a first impression opportunity to show how and why you are motivated to become a PA.

i think it's fair to say that most programs have a certain "quota" of people they need to fill, I know that my program stressed its "diversity" as a major motivating factor for acceptance. After meeting the people in my class, I found this to be very true in every aspect of "diverse" (religion, age, race, health care experience, profession, geography etc..). Therefore I can't see how people here are bent on all this patient contact experience. If the program thought this was a top priority, then why not just accept all EMT's who have worked for several years? Thankfully most programs don't do this and have open minds about what truly makes a good PA. My school required 500 or so hours...I had just about that and all I had to do was write it down on the application, the program never asked me about it or even verified it with anyone. So essentially I'm saying don't stress too much about your hours as long as you have SOMETHING.

Thankfully most programs don't do this and have open minds about what truly makes a good PA. My school required 500 or so hours...I had just about that and all I had to do was write it down on the application, the program never asked me about it or even verified it with anyone. So essentially I'm saying don't stress too much about your hours as long as you have SOMETHING.

Lets see how you feel after you graduate and are on your own; maybe then you can understand why experience can make such a big difference initially. A PA with no experience will end up knowing the same amount as the one with significant RN/medic experience, but its going to take 3-5 years after graduation to get there....

I dont think quotas have anything to do with anything...they want well rounded individuals and sometimes that includes people with unique backgrounds that may or may not have tons of clinical experience. The talk of having that experience i not only to lessen the pains of learning but to also make a person more competitive and add something else to thier application to make them a more diverse student.

My background does not include tons of direct clinical experience.......2-3 years maybe. With that said I would never encourage someone to do just the bare minimum. With my years of experience, grades, and "diversity" I was still not found competitive for quite a few programs.

Point of my post...never discourage someone from getting as much direct patient contact as they can, never encourage them to do just the bare minimum because those hours will not only help with the learning experience and make them more competitive in the application process but it will also help them in the real world. If two new grads are applying for an EMED position and one has a background of 2 years as a EMT or paramedic......who do you think would have a better chance at that position...even if they both are hired the 2nd would probably be able to negotiate a higher rate.

i think it's fair to say that most programs have a certain "quota" of people they need to fill, I know that my program stressed its "diversity" as a major motivating factor for acceptance. After meeting the people in my class, I found this to be very true in every aspect of "diverse" (religion, age, race, health care experience, profession, geography etc..). Therefore I can't see how people here are bent on all this patient contact experience. If the program thought this was a top priority, then why not just accept all EMT's who have worked for several years? Thankfully most programs don't do this and have open minds about what truly makes a good PA. My school required 500 or so hours...I had just about that and all I had to do was write it down on the application, the program never asked me about it or even verified it with anyone. So essentially I'm saying don't stress too much about your hours as long as you have SOMETHING.

You people are missing my point. This kid just wants to get accepted into the program, that's it. PA school is all about getting in. Of course someone who was an EMT for 10 years would be better off after graduating in terms of dealing with patients.... so would a former nurse, physician or whatever of 30 years (this list of course is to prove a point). But, for example, what is a 21 year kid to do who has just finished college and wants to go to PA school? Obviously they are worse off experience wise, but how can you possibly hold that against them? 21? just graduated? Yeah no kidding the 34 year old 10 year EMT veteran looks better. But remember this.. not all schools hold this patient contact so seriously when looking at the ENTIRE person/situation they are in. Most programs want that diversity. Thats why EMT's who have 10 years under their belts sometimes get rejected for the 21 year old chemistry/bio major....or 40 year old math teacher...and so on.

My earlier post has to do with the patient contact hour blowhards here who say OH YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST 10,000 HOURS blah blah blah (and then the kid totally juggles his life plans takes the next 3 years and works as a CNA)...no you don't have to do this..if anything i am encouraging MORE people out there that might not think they are "good" enough because all these blowhards brag about their experience hours. I love the fact i had so few hours and still got in over these kinds of people. And compared to the rest of these EMT's/whatever, I can say I've been right along with them in terms of knowledge/confidence/whatever else you can think of.

Youre probably calm but the tone of this mssg says otherwise SO if youre already calm.....good. If youre not....you really should calm down....the internet is not that serious.

Yes its about getting in and what everyone in this thread has said is to work on getting hce. I dont see where anyone has every said you need 10k hours to apply or that you should have it.....and Ive been on this board a lot longer than you have. Yes people are very encouraging of applicants getting experience because not only does it help you later (not that this is a point of yours) but it also makes a person more competitive WHICH goes back to your point that "PA school is all about getting in"....make yourself competitive. Did you apply to the same schools? Did you get accepted to the same schools? What may fly at your school may not be the same with the schools the OP is looking at....perhaps hce is required or highly recommended...I dont know...I didnt check...did you?

I also agreed that schools look at diverse candidates which "includes people with unique backgrounds that may or may not have tons of clinical experience"...yes I said this....check it out :-) I consider myself one of those people...I certainly do not fit the blueprint set forth by Stead.......but in a sea of applicants who are starting to look the same, its important to encourage people to be the best applicant they can and if they are lacking in a area and ARE ASKING FOR ADVICE to make themselves a more competitive candidate then give it to them.

Again...having 1000 hours....... not hard and age has nothing to do with anything and having those hours will open up more options for applying. I mean if the OP is still working on the MS degree and needs to retake courses why not continue to work on hce and get over 1000 like emed posted instead of simply getting "something"....Again....if its simply about getting in and your GPA is crap then you need to something to balance out the app

BTW are you a student or PA? You talk as though youre still a student but you titled yourself as a PA.....

You people are missing my point. This kid just wants to get accepted into the program, that's it. PA school is all about getting in. Of course someone who was an EMT for 10 years would be better off after graduating in terms of dealing with patients.... so would a former nurse, physician or whatever of 30 years (this list of course is to prove a point). But, for example, what is a 21 year kid to do who has just finished college and wants to go to PA school? Obviously they are worse off experience wise, but how can you possibly hold that against them? 21? just graduated? Yeah no kidding the 34 year old 10 year EMT veteran looks better. But remember this.. not all schools hold this patient contact so seriously when looking at the ENTIRE person/situation they are in. Most programs want that diversity. Thats why EMT's who have 10 years under their belts sometimes get rejected for the 21 year old chemistry/bio major....or 40 year old math teacher...and so on.

My earlier post has to do with the patient contact hour blowhards here who say OH YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST 10,000 HOURS blah blah blah (and then the kid totally juggles his life plans takes the next 3 years and works as a CNA)...no you don't have to do this..if anything i am encouraging MORE people out there that might not think they are "good" enough because all these blowhards brag about their experience hours. I love the fact i had so few hours and still got in over these kinds of people. And compared to the rest of these EMT's/whatever, I can say I've been right along with them in terms of knowledge/confidence/whatever else you can think of.

• 1 month later...

I think HCE is more than just exposure to the field and proving that you already have some knowledge before entry into the program. What's being missed here, is that having HCE, that is hands on direct patient interaction, shows so much more about your emotional abilities for the profession. HCE is a good indicator of compassion, maturity, and people skills. It is these things that also contribute to making a great PA, not just the knowledge itself. In addition, it shows dedication to the field. Health care, especially working a lower end position, gives you a lot of perspective as to what it takes physically and emotionally day to day. It teaches you a respect for everyone that works with you in different roles. I know it has opened my eyes to what kind of PA I want to be and that is helpful to everyone no matter what the task at hand is. I would encourage you to get involved in HCE, no matter what it is, certified or not (I have 1400hrs in a non-cert. position). Get talking to people, learn their stories, involve yourself fully, at that point you can demonstrate your desire to work in such a service field. Emotionally, it can hurt sometimes, when patients you work with don't make it, but it can be extremely rewarding as well. So, I guess my point is that it shouldn't just be about requirement for what the program wants to see, it should be about you wanting to do it because that's what we do; we care.

I think HCE is more than just exposure to the field and proving that you already have some knowledge before entry into the program. What's being missed here, is that having HCE, that is hands on direct patient interaction, shows so much more about your emotional abilities for the profession. HCE is a good indicator of compassion, maturity, and people skills. It is these things that also contribute to making a great PA, not just the knowledge itself. In addition, it shows dedication to the field. Health care, especially working a lower end position, gives you a lot of perspective as to what it takes physically and emotionally day to day. It teaches you a respect for everyone that works with you in different roles. I know it has opened my eyes to what kind of PA I want to be and that is helpful to everyone no matter what the task at hand is. I would encourage you to get involved in HCE, no matter what it is, certified or not (I have 1400hrs in a non-cert. position). Get talking to people, learn their stories, involve yourself fully, at that point you can demonstrate your desire to work in such a service field. Emotionally, it can hurt sometimes, when patients you work with don't make it, but it can be extremely rewarding as well. So, I guess my point is that it shouldn't just be about requirement for what the program wants to see, it should be about you wanting to do it because that's what we do; we care.

Knocked it out of the park. Well said.

Archived