Tell me your funny stories

I have had many funny experiences as a PA. I'd like to hear yours!

-In my first job I was told that, as a "Physician's Assistant", my job was to do whatever the physician told me to. And that when I was ordered to do something, my response should be, "yes sir, Dr ______".

-Another job had me working with an MA who repeatedly told me that she could do my job, all she needed were those "little letters' behind her name (and I am a former MA).

-One of my supervisors, a nurse (don't get me started) started off my interview with this quote, "I don't think a PA can do this job. An NP could, but we can't find any candidates".

-A former co-worker (NP) would tell all of our patients that a PA had less training and wasn't as educated. And yet we all saw the same patients.  She also once told me, "well, you're just a PA". 

-In one of my jobs, NPs could evaluate chest pain, but a PA could not unless the SP was on site. Welcome to the middle ages!

- I went on an interview and asked what the MD was looking for in a PA that would potentially work there. The response? "I want someone to do exactly what I say and do things exactly as I would do, with the legal authority to carry that out". Needless to say, I did not take that job.

-Of course, one of my favorites is seeing a patient, diagnosing them, outlining a plan, and then they say, "so when do I see the doctor?"

Disclaimer: I think these stories are funny and I laugh at them. Some might get upset. I don't. We must educate our colleagues, co-workers, patients, and general public about what we do. I would rather light a candle than curse someone's darkness.

I got yelled at by the triage nurse at my first ED PA job that there were not enough warm blankets in the warmer. The nonwarm blankets were right next to the empty warmer she had taken the last warm blanket from. This was obviously not in my job description. Team player I am, I actually took the time to fill the warmer full since I was between patients. Several weeks later she mistriaged a patient who collapsed and died in the waiting room and got terminated. Guess karma is a b!tch. Its why I still bring patients a cup of ice or a warm blanket when I can and spring for lunch for the staff periodically.

G Brothers PA-C

• 3 weeks later...

I got yelled at by the triage nurse at my first ED PA job that there were not enough warm blankets in the warmer. The nonwarm blankets were right next to the empty warmer she had taken the last warm blanket from. This was obviously not in my job description. Team player I am, I actually took the time to fill the warmer full since I was between patients. Several weeks later she mistriaged a patient who collapsed and died in the waiting room and got terminated. Guess karma is a b!tch. Its why I still bring patients a cup of ice or a warm blanket when I can and spring for lunch for the staff periodically.

G Brothers PA-C

I have gotten similar treatment in various jobs. While I also try to help out with whatever needs to be done, it's always funny to me when I am told that I need to empty the trash or room my own patients. I say, "sure!" and usually someone tells the staff that it is not good utilization for me to do such things. In one office, the MAs told me that I was on my own, would have to room my own patients, do all of the paperwork, and that they weren't going to help me with anything. The boss soon put an end to that. 

I recently got a job offer with a physician who told me that I would need a month of training (even though I had 4+ years of experience in this particular field), and that it would be unpaid. She mentioned that a new grad applied for the same position and that she told the new grad that she'd need 6-9 months of training, without pay. Kudos to that new grad for saying, I don't think so. Ultimately, I turned the offer down, and when the physician asked why, I told her that a PA with specialty training typically won't "train" for free. Amazing that physicians actually think that they can do this with a PA. I hope all new grads accept nothing less than paid training on the job, and that they remember that they will generate 4 times the revenue that they actually get paid for. 

mdMjKwo.gif

it was actually kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. it was my least favorite part time job and they had been treating me poorly for years and calling me at o'dark 30 most mornings to ask if I could cover a call off in 2 hrs. not getting those calls alone made this decision worthwhile. I only stayed so long because they paid ridiculously well for work that wasn't terribly taxing. fast track for 72 dollars/hr 5 years ago at a place 2 miles from my house.

The last time I heard "you are just a pa" I quit on the spot. no notice. handed them my pager and walked out.

WOW!  Swift justice. 

I laugh in my head when this happens.  I work up a patient and see them for like 20 minutes, I explain everything.  I let the patient tell their story and talk about how a dog knocked them over when they were 3 and that is why their back hurts now at 50.   Then when all is said and done, they ask to see the Doc.  I comply and the doc walks in and they get like 3 seconds and he basically listens to "I have back pain here, because.... (cut off and asked a yes/no question).  Then he touches their big toe for strength and says do physical therapy, and walks out.  They look back at me and I just smile and hope they got what they wanted out of the visit with the doctor.   

I also love hearing the question "What is a PA?"  I say it is like a nurse practitioner and they all of a sudden seem to get it.  I know that might piss people off but I went to UC Davis and Pa's/NP's trained together, so I don't take offense. 

Archived