GRE required Schools vs Non GRE Schools

This is probably going to be a fairly subjective question, but what are your thoughts on the difference between programs that require GRE scores and those that do not require GRE scores? There seems to be such a wide range of details from one program to another in terms of  Tuition Costs, Pre-requisites, Required tests etc. Do you think any of these factors are telling of the quality of the program?  I see ranges of costs from 50k to 150k... Some require tons of Pre-reqs, others require just a few. 

Guest MedLib42

When I was going through and applying to programs, I didn't seem to find any correlation between GRE requirements, tuition, required prerequisites, and quality. I'm currently attending a non-GRE school with somewhat minimal prerequisites, and feel the quality is excellent.

I think when it comes to the GRE, it's not so much that the quality schools use it and the lesser quality schools don't, it's simply that there are different opinions on the usefulness of the GRE - some schools feel the GRE really isn't a reliable indicator of P.A. school success, so they don't use it. Others disagree and prefer to use it, especially since there are so many qualified applicants with great GPAs. It provides another way to help narrow down the applicant pool. 

When I was applying, I looked really heavily at PANCE pass rates as a good indicator of program quality. I also talked to current/former students, and read through their staff and faculty bios to get an idea of how qualified their faculty seemed. I also wanted to know what type of facilities they had for teaching - high quality SIM lab? Cadaver lab? I also asked a lot of questions to get an idea of how dedicated to their students they were - is the faculty typically available to help struggling students? Do they have tutoring services?. I feel like those factors gave me a better idea of program quality than GRE, tuition, or prerequisite requirements.

I'll echo what medlib said, I haven't found any pattern to schools which require the GRE or not and any other quality.   

From what I've noticed, it seems like some schools require the GRE, simply as a requirement of the school as a larger whole for applying to a graduate level program. For example, for MEDEX they require it, but it's just a little foot note, and from what I read it really doesn't seem like it effects your application other than just making sure you've taken it.  

many places just have a check box that says "took gre" to fulfill a requirement for their school of graduate studies.

I think the better dividing line is ochem vs no ochem. places that want ochem tend to also want higher gpas and place less emphasis on HCE.  the reverse is true for non-ochem requiring programs-they are all about the HCE and place less emphasis on grades and GREs.

for programs like medex you see very different applicants to the BS vs MS options.

Considering the list of things PA schools look for, I'm not sure the GRE would be near the top of anybody's list. I have found it helpful in a few limited circumstances:

1. It helps evaluate candidates who apply from a school you have never heard of. There are schools that everyone knows that have great reputations and provide a quality education. Each cycle we get applicants from small liberal arts schools that we might not be familiar with. The GRE helps provide a little insight.

2. I look at outliers - someone in the 5%ile or the 95%ile will catch my attention.

3. It helps identify people that are bad at taking standardized tests. Taking multiple choice exams is a skill (and I'm not one to argue it is a skill which predicts a good clinician). Some people do not have this skill, but to some extent it can be taught. Since you have to pass the PANCE to practice, it is good to identify people who might have a hard time early on.

ARC-PA's mandate that all new PA programs are Master's degree when starting and existing one transition to it by 2020, does not necessarily mandate a program require a GRE. Many schools leave it up to the program. Some require it.

But, why do I want students to take a GRE? Well, you got all A's in science prereqs taken at a CC (nothing wrong with that) and someone else got all B's in similar classes taken at Harvard. Do I subjectively determine that the B rates higher than the A? The GRE gives me some objective means of evaluating the preceding scenario. It 'levels' the playing field some.

With that said, I look at a rounded applicant. (1) Overall GPA, (2) science gpa, (3) paid health care experience, (4) GRE, (5) letters of recommendation, (6) PA shadowing hours, (7) volunteerism.

I want someone who shows aptitude, behavior, and exposure to the profession they are trying to enter.

Archived