What to do while waiting

I've finally submitted all my supplemental applications, now I'm just waiting to hear back from schools.  I need some distraction for the waiting time!   I'll be finished with my prerequisites at the middle of Aug.   Currently I'm working PRN as a paramedic, but I don't like my company.   I would love to plan a trip abroad, but I'm afraid if I do I'll end up with an interview during that time.   What is everyone else doing during the waiting period?

You could check and see when the earliest interviews are held at your schools of interest and plan accordingly. Or travel in the US. And how bad can your PRN company be if you're going to quit in a few months anyway? Or find another PRN job. Lots of options, really.

My job isn't awful, it's the best I'd find where I am, but it's nothing keeping me here. From what I've seen here the interview dates of my schools are really spread out (I'm applying to 13 different schools). Is there an acceptable way to ask the school when potential interviews may be, without being too pushy/ assuming?

• Administrator

Keep working on strengthening your application.  Don't assume you'll get in this year, and don't assume that by the time you find out whether or not you've gotten in this year, you'll have time to meaningfully improve your application for next year's cycle.

All prerequisites done? Good, so do 500+ other people applying to EACH of your selected schools.  What upper division science classes or rounding-out-the-person classes do you have under your belt? Pathophys? Additional psych classes? Medical billing and coding?

Can you get a certs or two you don't already have?

Rev ronin, thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot get into any upper level science classes at the schools in my area; they won't accept a non degree seeking student. I am taking an online upper level genetics soon. I do have pathophys and over 50 behavioral science credits, along with a large number of certs (alphabet cards) as I'm a paramedic (also have over 10,000 hours HCE, was a paramedic far before I started dreaming of paramedic school) Would love to get instructor cards, but have to find somewhere that would let me teach before I do that.

My main weaknesses on my application now are my GRE score, essays, and my later submissions of the secondary applications. Those are what I need to improve if I need to apply again next year; my CASPA will be submitted in April that year!

Aside from that, honestly I need a mental break right now, something to take my mind off of the waiting game. It's stressful to me, especially hearing on here other applicants have been contacted by a couple of the schools I'm applying to (though rationally I realize they submitted earlier than I did and I just need to be patient).

• Administrator

You know, I really don't think the answers matter all that much.

Heresy? Perhaps.

Other than knowing the basics about what a PA really is and does, an interview is about unearthing the passion, the enthusiasm, the je ne sais quoi that says that this is a real applicant, s/he really wrote his/her own personal statement, and we'd be an idiot not to include a winner like this in our class.

Confidence without cockiness, authenticity, poise... these are things that don't depend so much on the answers, but on the overall preparation, strength of personality, and life experiences.  The way you, in particular, can kick butt over all the really-ought-to-be-in-medical-school applicants is to harvest the power of real stories that illustrate who you are and why you care, and polish them into 20 second vignettes than you can immediately whip out to address a relevant point.

My advice is to know how to handle yourself in an interview, but not to overly rehearse to the point where you sound like a candidate at a presidential debate. And to be relaxed enough to think, pause, and respond with confidence,

I've been on admission committees and have seen people who either toss out obviously predigested answers or are so afraid that they can't respond well on their feet.

Having dealt with those issues, it's time to relax and see what happens. You won't have a chance to relax again for quite a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest MedLib42

Do you have any good resources/ books for practicing mock interviews; something with potential questions to think of?  I have people who can help me practice, but I don't think that they'd know what a good answer should be

I agree with rev ronin. I don't think answers matter so much. For many questions, there aren't going to be specifically "good" or "right" answers, so I don't think you'll find a prep source that will tell you that. You can work on confidence, poise, eye contact, body language, communication skills, etc without worrying about giving the right answers.

However, I personally I wound up buying "How to Ace the Physician Assistant Interview" and "The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into PA School" (both are by Andrew Rodican), although I think I found the interview book most helpful. If I remember correctly, the book doesn't give you specific interview questions exactly, but gives you exercises so you can get more in touch with your own story (and have a ton of little personal vignettes ready in the back of your mind to help answer various questions). I also googled "Physician Assistant interview questions" and was able to get lists of different practice questions; I used PA school interview questions, PA job interview questions, and even regular, generic, non-PA job interview questions.

With that said, depending on how you prepare, working with PA-specific prep materials and questions might actually work against you in the "sounding too rehearsed" department, so I wouldn't overuse them. I was careful not to prep with the same question more than once (for me it wasn't about specific answers, it was about knowing which parts of my story I wanted to highlight in the interview, and about working on the physical aspects, such as body language and overcoming nerves). I would recommend using plenty of non-PA job interview type questions as well. As other posters have mentioned, the interview is not about subjecting the ADCOMs to a pre-rehearsed performance, and I think those that go in too rehearsed can really ruin their chances. 

Good luck!

Archived