Kentucky - No more On-site Supervision

Guest Paula

huh?  That article said physicians no longer needed to supervise PAs at all after June 1, 2014.  I think there is a misunderstanding of the new law.  I can't imagine KMA allowing no supervision at all as KY is not a PA friendly state.  Who is a KY PA and can chime in here?  If there really was one state that amended supervision altogether it should have made the AAPA daily news blast.......maybe. 

huh? That article said physicians no longer needed to supervise PAs at all after June 1, 2014. I think there is a misunderstanding of the new law. I can't imagine KMA allowing no supervision at all as KY is not a PA friendly state. Who is a KY PA and can chime in here? If there really was one state that amended supervision altogether it should have made the AAPA daily news blast.......maybe.

I think it reads that they eliminated the 18-month onsite requirement "all together", including the reduced 3-month onsite one. The poor phrasing tricked me at first read too.

Guest Paula

I think it reads that they eliminated the 18-month onsite requirement "all together". The poor phrasing tricked me at first read too.

You'd think the National Law review would have better editors. 

Just graduated from UK last week. Kentucky is definitely not the most PA friendly state, but it's getting better lately. KAPA has been making some real headway with their new lobbyist and legislative team. This year they finally got the cosignature requirement down to 10% (was 100%!). There's still a long way to go, but the tide is definitely turning. Like Dan said, they also eliminated the 18 month on site rule for new grads last year.

Guest Paula

That saying "inch by inch it's a cinch but by the yard it's hard" is so true.  KY will step forward one foot in front of the other and I sure hope they can continue to fight for even more practice rights. 

yes KY is the most restrictive states in country  for PA laws . This year they finally eliminate 18 month rule to allow New grads PA to work without  SP onsite for 18 months before the can work  without SP   . But this does not change much as 70% Patient in KY are on some form of controlled medication and PA cannot prescribe  controlled prescription at all in KY the other state is Florida which also does not allow PA to write controlled prescription ....

yes KY is the most restrictive states in country for PA laws . This year they finally eliminate 18 month rule to allow New grads PA to work without SP onsite for 18 months before the can work without SP . But this does not change much as 70% Patient in KY are on some form of controlled medication and PA cannot prescribe controlled prescription at all in KY the other state is Florida which also does not allow PA to write controlled prescription ....

That's not really true. PAs in Kentucky can write for controlled substances, just not schedule 2. It is a problem that needs to be fixed, but it does not pose a huge barrier for any PA that I've worked with over the last year. Kentucky and Florida are the two states with the worst prescription drug problems in the country. Getting narcotics prescription privileges in KY has a snowball's chance in hell right now. KAPA have decided to pursue other changes until that hot topic cools off.

That's not really true. PAs in Kentucky can write for controlled substances, just not schedule 2. It is a problem that needs to be fixed, but it does not pose a huge barrier for any PA that I've worked with over the last year. Kentucky and Florida are the two states with the worst prescription drug problems in the country. Getting narcotics prescription privileges in KY has a snowball's chance in hell right now. KAPA have decided to pursue other changes until that hot topic cools off.

schedule 2 ? then Y 60% of New Grad PA leave the state ..? 

Archived